Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2021

jburns

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Brad Panavich isn't sold yet-

Blocking is great but it does t always bring cold, some time it’s a ridge. A pattern to watch for sure but it’s a 50/50 kinda of thing of where the trough and ridge set up. 

To be fair, I think Brad is stronger in the mid range(5-10). I prefer Webber, DT and Allan for LR. Just my two cents though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

To be fair, I think Brad is stronger in the mid range(5-10). I prefer Webber, DT and Allan for LR. Just my two cents though.

Oh I agree, sometimes his wordage annoys me. He loves to make absolutes and it bites him in the a$% sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Oh I agree, sometimes his wordage annoys me. He loves to make absolutes and it bites him in the a$% sometimes. 

Agree, he will always play it conservative as well. I can’t blame him, so many weenies out there if he evens mentioned a patterns they start with the when, how much for my backyard questions.  Btw Happy New Years to my fellow winter weather fans. I appreciate All the insights and thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Grayman said:

Agree, he will always play it conservative as well. I can’t blame him, so many weenies out there if he evens mentioned a patterns they start with the when, how much for my backyard questions.  Btw Happy New Years to my fellow winter weather fans. I appreciate All the insights and thoughts. 

Agreed about weenies.  I think he does a great job explaining models and spending a lot of time outside of work to justify his reasoning, even if others disagree.  That says a lot alone. 

Fact of the matter is, in Charlotte and most of NC, the most conservative and/or pessimistic person would still be right more often than not. 

Brad and Matthew East are the best two mainstream Mets for NC hands down.  

And Happy New Year to everyone as well!

Agreed about weenies.  I think he does a great job explaining models and spending a lot of time outside of work to justify his reasoning, even if others disagree.  That says a lot alone. 

Fact of the matter is, in Charlotte and most of NC, the most conservative and/or pessimistic person would still be right more often than not. 

Brad and Matthew East are the best two mainstream Mets for NC hands down.  

And Happy New Year to everyone as well!

I put Matthew east above most!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NC_hailstorm said:

Have been noticing the Euro forecast is ever so slightly trying to pull this MJO into phase 1 over the last 5 or so days.Even better look if that happened so things still on schedule.

Carry on.

Accord to Eric Webb’s MJO research, we do not want to MJO to go to phase one. It’s our least snowiest phase!

DC2F1659-14B5-4B38-BC60-423F31A00EE4.jpeg

One of the big issues I am seeing on the operational models is the lack of arctic air. Yes the blocking is there but the temps are marginal even for the mountains later in the runs. Unfortunately the other side of the globe has the majority of the cold air.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BullCityWx said:

The King is still the King. The Canadian has made ground on the UKMET. The GFS is still out to lunch. 

Been thinking about this in recent days...regardless if the Euro shows warm and snowless or winter storms, I suspect it will be the better model in this pattern.  It's already been better with the stratospheric evolution and should be better with the stratosphere - troposphere coupling.  Also, it historically does better with larger global features like high latitude blocking.

Note from Simon Lee on Twitter: "GEFS & CFSv2 have 64 vertical levels, while ECMWF's ensemble has 91 and more of those are in the stratosphere (38 above 100 hPa vs. 24 in CFS). So, I anticipate ECMWF is on the right lines, as models with greater vertical resolution perform better"

16 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

0Z GFS has a major southside Virginia snowstorm. Not too far of a shift south needed for people north of 40. With the pattern advertised, a south trend is entirely possible.

8 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

0z CMC

Going into mid-Jan, there's a 'big battle' going on between the developing blocking in the North Atlantic bullying the pattern and shifting the entire height pattern south (you especially saw that in days 8-10 on the 12z Euro)...going up against a Pacific pattern that contains a strong zonal jet with low anomalies in the Gulf of Alaska

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BullCityWx said:

I will say the GFS v16 seems to have promise .

Agree.  Just comparing tonight's runs between the new GFS v16 (1st image) and the current GFS (2nd image), look at how the current GFS just drops the North Atlantic blocking by hr204 while the new GFS v16 maintains it...think the current GFS is bunk there

awEoKJv.gif

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

Agree.  Just comparing tonight's runs between the new GFS v16 (1st image) and the current GFS (2nd image), look at how the current GFS just drops the North Atlantic blocking by hr204 while the new GFS v16 maintains it...think the current GFS is bunk there

awEoKJv.gif

Let's hope so because it looks terrible 

29 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

0Z Euro keeps the snow confined to the mountains,  0z GFS and 6z GFS and 0z CMC all have moderate-major snows for southern VA/Northern NC , taken verbatim

No cold air source. No threat outside of mountains for significant accumulation imo. Verbatim models showing snow only in heaviest returns. Upper levels decent but rate driven snow this far out is just something to cut out the boredom 

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

No cold air source. No threat outside of mountains for significant accumulation imo. Verbatim models showing snow only in heaviest returns. Upper levels decent but rate driven snow this far out is just something to cut out the boredom 

I understand the skepticism. However, I would not dismiss this one yet. It will be interesting to see the thermals once the higher resolution models come into range. Until then, I will be watching the trends.

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It would largely depend on the ULL dynamics and track for sure.