Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,911
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    GRMNSnowDay
    Newest Member
    GRMNSnowDay
    Joined

Winter 2020-2021 whining thread


BullCityWx
 Share

Recommended Posts

My retired in-laws will spend thousands each year on flying and vacationing all over God’s creation—and they earned that—but they won’t spend a dime on even the smallest generator and prep items to prepare for the most common of emergencies.

I call people like that “one episoders” because if they appeared in a series like The Walking Dead, they’d wouldn’t make it through one episode.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My retired in-laws will spend thousands each year on flying and vacationing all over God’s creation—and they earned that—but they won’t spend a dime on even the smallest generator and prep items to prepare for the most common of emergencies.
I call people like that “one episoders” because if they appeared in a series like The Walking Dead, they’d wouldn’t make it through one episode.

Yeah I don’t get people like that. Great term for them though lol!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

My retired in-laws will spend thousands each year on flying and vacationing all over God’s creation—and they earned that—but they won’t spend a dime on even the smallest generator and prep items to prepare for the most common of emergencies.

I call people like that “one episoders” because if they appeared in a series like The Walking Dead, they’d wouldn’t make it through one episode.

Coming up on a working farm taught me some very powerful lessons. There's no one to call when things don't work. You figure it out and make changes for next time, and there will be a next time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mstr4j said:

All these low-key posters on the threat threads. I don’t want ice and power outages....but you know they do!  SMH. 

Nope, nope, nope.  Too much time spent prepping before and cleaning up after.  Snow is easy, ice sucks.  And freezing my ass off grilling outside sucks even worse.

At least this round my genny and transfer switch is in place.  Still dont have the whole house package capable of powering heat.  But I can get hot water and portable heaters along with the fireplace.  Its manageable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, magpiemaniac said:

My retired in-laws will spend thousands each year on flying and vacationing all over God’s creation—and they earned that—but they won’t spend a dime on even the smallest generator and prep items to prepare for the most common of emergencies.

I call people like that “one episoders” because if they appeared in a series like The Walking Dead, they’d wouldn’t make it through one episode.

BTW, if you are interested. A couple of guys from the old Canes forum have migrated to the HF canes forum. Not bad disco in the GDT's 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

BTW, if you are interested. A couple of guys from the old Canes forum have migrated to the HF canes forum. Not bad disco in the GDT's 

Thanks.  I’ll look that up.  My wife and dog would rather I vent to a message board during games.  At my age, I’m more into an old style forum than social media.  There is no game discussion and insight on Twitter.  It’s just snarky comments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Thanks.  I’ll look that up.  My wife and dog would rather I vent to a message board during games.  At my age, I’m more into an old style forum than social media.  There is no game discussion and insight on Twitter.  It’s just snarky comments.

There were questions about Ned being in net today that were answered by a chart revealing the Panthers scoring is heavily dependent on rebounds. I was impressed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, QC_Halo said:

Really?  It becomes “unfun” very quickly. Looks very pretty for a few hours...till the power goes out. Your stuck with no power...most likely for days. 

I can handle a few days without power with no problem. What I hate about ice is tree damage.  I have a lot of trees. After the 2002 ice storm it took me a week to clean up and I was a lot younger then. Even now I can still see the scars left from that event on many of my large trees. I was lucky that it was just branches and limbs. The trees are a lot older now, the ground is saturated and there is supposed to 20 mph wind with this event.  I admit to being concerned about what is about to happen.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, blueheels2 said:

Live in Rolesville.  Would really love to get hammered tomorrow and take the day off but probably not going to happen.  I’ll gladly take a couple of days without power.

Is there something really preventing you from getting hammered and taking the day off?  In the Covid era thats called a mental health day.  Do it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, jburns said:

I can handle a few days without power with no problem. What I hate about ice is tree damage.  I have a lot of trees. After the 2002 ice storm it took me a week to clean up and I was a lot younger then. Even now I can still see the scars left from that event on many of my large trees. I was lucky that it was just branches and limbs. The trees are a lot older now, the ground is saturated and there is supposed to 20 mph wind with this event.  I admit to being concerned about what is about to happen.

While we wait this was 2002 at my house.

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kvegas-wx said:

Is there something really preventing you from getting hammered and taking the day off?  In the Covid era thats called a mental health day.  Do it!

20 years of sobriety lol.  I was wanting to get hanmered by the storm but I have no problem with those would partake on a stormy day,.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, blueheels2 said:

20 years of sobriety lol.  I was wanting to get hanmered by the storm but I have no problem with those would partake on a stormy day,.

Good job!  I'm such a lightweight I would only partake on a snow day.....or when there is Bluegrass music playing.....or if the Bengals make the playoffs.  :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Good job!  I'm such a lightweight I would only partake on a snow day.....or when there is Bluegrass music playing.....or if the Bengals make the playoffs.  :lol:

Well the latter isn't happening this decade so you should be good too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kvegas-wx said:

Worst to first '21.  Huge free agency year.  Burrow will lead the league in passing yards.  You heard it hear first!

 

Better hope he can recover from that injury. Nasty one. I was glad to see Gio Bernard do well last year for them 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, blueheels2 said:

Live in Rolesville.  Would really love to get hammered tomorrow and take the day off but probably not going to happen.  I’ll gladly take a couple of days without power.

Be careful what you wish for. 2 days with no power could easily turn to 2 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ugh.  Propane guy didn’t show up today.  Office said he was swamped.

Tank meter reads that I’m at 60% of a 500 gallon tank.  So until he can get out here, I have 300 gallons to fuel a 22 kw generator, two gas HVACs, gas range, and gas tankless water heater.  I cut the pilot light on the logs.  Running the generator wide open on a full load will burn about a 188 gallons in 48 hours.  Half load burns 122 gallons in 48 hours.  I’m thinking worse case scenario would be 72 hours without power with generator burning 232 gallons leaving the rest for appliances, etc.

I’ll be alright.  Right? :yikes:

At least we’re not in Texas.  Count your blessings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...