• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BobbyB
    Newest Member
    BobbyB

Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thank you for allowing me to melt in due time, I appreciate it. I could give a crap if we snow at the end of the day... if we don’t, I get to golf and don’t have to work ridiculous hours doing snow removal.

Lol you’re welcome...all in fun-no offense T.Blizz.  

I get it ..it is not fun when there’s nothing on the horizon. Especially when things looked to be lining up. It just went to crap with some bad ju-ju. And that’s always a possibility.

And believe us, you are very happy you didn’t live through the 80’s in SNE...it was always bad ju-ju then...whatever could go wrong with a system, Always did, it was really something to see(in a bad away).  

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Yup.  My bro was offered triple time to work on Christmas (tree cutting). 

I posted yesterday my neighbor who is a lineman will make triple overtime at $180/hr. Lineman are required to do 16 hour shifts during storms. So his shift on Christmas would pay $2880 even if he is just on standby and the storms a bust.

• Like 1

A lot of the New England scallop fleet will try and stay out to land scallops right before New Years for big auction prices.  Hopefully some of the captains have common sense when 80-90 kts gets thrown around. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There are some similarities with this event and the screamer in 96 that melted 3-4’ of snow in 24 hours. Does anyone recall how strong winds were in that event, and did the strongest winds occur over snowpack or after it had melted?

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There are some similarities with this event and the screamer in 96 that melted 3-4’ of snow in 24 hours. Does anyone recall how strong winds were in that event, and did the strongest winds occur over snowpack or after it had melted?

Everything I can find is NY related and gusts in the 30s. There were bigger issues.

https://www.weather.gov/ctp/Jan1996Flooding

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We lost a big spruce in our front yard in that one..blew right down- roots and all.  And there was snow still on the ground when it toppled.  

Just now, WinterWolf said:

We lost a big spruce in our front yard in that one..blew right down- roots and all.  And there was snow still on the ground when it toppled.  

Yeah I recall quite a bit of wind damage in SNE. I just can’t find anything on how strong winds were 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah I recall quite a bit of wind damage in SNE. I just can’t find anything on how strong winds were 

Yup.  Warm wet and soggy ground thawing out, and winds blowing things right over. 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I usually see one maybe two per season if we get real lucky and many years we see none, Last year was one of them where we had 0.

None last winter, none the winter before - 1st back-to-back with no 12"+.  (Of course, 18-19 is my only 100"+ season w/o a 12" storm, so no real cause to complain - yet.)

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Lets just go all in . 

Huge potential right near the Outer Banks...models traverse a ribbon of >1000 MLCape across the area. Tons of llvl instability too. Small window for a strong tornado in eastern NC

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There were 3 cutters. Blue hills gusted between 80-92 or so. I think strongest winds was the first one. I had a birch uproot with 2’ of snow still. One of the top cutters. I was at stop and shop outside doing carriages at the time. There were power flashes, signs ripping apart, and an old lady blew over right in front of me. I won’t forget that. :lol: 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

There were 3 cutters. Blue hills gusted between 80-92 or so. I think strongest winds was the first one. I had a birch uproot with 2’ of snow still. One of the top cutters. I was at stop and shop outside doing carriages at the time. There were power flashes, signs ripping apart, and an old lady blew over right in front of me. I won’t forget that. :lol: 

That is fantastic. Special memories there 

• Weenie 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That is fantastic. Special memories there 

I think the second one had thunder. Not as windy. The last one was just as bad as the first one. Lots of damage. Cutters of yore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Did you help her up?

• Weenie 2

Oceanic SST's are seasonally declining now in the bite waters/ E of Jersey ...I'm not sure that llv jet gets down into the bottom of the sounding if the water temperature is below the WB of the air mass over top.  hmm.

But hell... there's wind software products and experience so assuredly this has all been considered... 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

This seems a little crazy but there might be a window for some pre-line low-topped supercells Thursday evening. The HRRR has quite a bit of 3km CAPE actually. 

0-3KM? I didn’t loo to be honest, but are you sure?