Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Right . Nothing was. He had his hands tied and you could tell by his AFD. And rest assured Frank agreed with me. Just couldn’t comment. There wasn’t any ill will at all in that . Merry Christmas to all Nws folks . Even Legro 

:santa:

I've been saying a good place to start is the 11/30 wind event. That should probably be the baseline forecast right now. BDL gusted to 47 mph. Temps and dewpoints got into the lower 60s. Low level lapse rates were about 3C/km (not unstable but not inverted either). Could see the 925 jet crank to a similar level (OKX sampled 52 kt at 12z, but the worst of it was in the afternoon so no obs). 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

:santa:

I've been saying a good place to start is the 11/30 wind event. That should probably be the baseline forecast right now. BDL gusted to 47 mph. Temps and dewpoints got into the lower 60s. Low level lapse rates were about 3C/km (not unstable but not inverted either). Could see the 925 jet crank to a similar level (OKX sampled 52 kt at 12z, but the worst of it was in the afternoon so no obs). 

Based on what Frank discovered and tweeted.. this event should “blow” that one away 

Hope people in that strong snow band with 2" of water weight have shoveled their roofs and filled the sand bags.  That area around Ludlow, VT south to Mitch precipitates very efficiently on SSE low level flow... also the SE Adirondack zone that got crushed too.  They get some solid orographic help in these cutters from GFL and westward.

132295589_4774534012618462_8176526416173

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Snowing hard from surprise upslope, UPS truck stuck in my driveway, fire going... almost forgot about this asshole Grinch.  

I've been here for 9 years now and we can't seem to get out of the habit of forecast 20-30% chance of snow showers during an upslope event. 

I stream Pittsburg's, Alex's, and your webcams during winter to make a point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I've been here for 9 years now and we can't seem to get out of the habit of forecast 20-30% chance of snow showers during an upslope event. 

I stream Pittsburg's, Alex's, and your webcams during winter to make a point.

Still haven’t caught on like BTV?  C’mon now, lol.

I love the AFDs that are like “Should just paint 100% POPS whenever the flow goes NW.  the question isn’t whether it precipitates but how much.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still haven’t caught on like BTV?  C’mon now, lol.

I love the AFDs that are like “Should just paint 100% POPS whenever the flow goes NW.  the question isn’t whether it precipitates but how much.”

I dream for the day when I come in to 100% in the grids.

I remember one event early in my days here when we may have had less than 15% chance of snow showers and it was just pounding +SN 1"/hr stuff up there. I took webcam screen captures and emailed them out to the staff in a rage. Full Scooter smash.

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I dream for the day when I come in to 100% in the grids.

I remember one event early in my days here when we may have had less than 15% chance of snow showers and it was just pounding +SN 1"/hr stuff up there. I took webcam screen captures and emailed them out to the staff in a rage. Full Scooter smash.

Lol. I've gotten used to the fact that 30% chance of snow showers means more certainty of upslope than just about any synoptic setup :)

10 minutes ago, alex said:

Lol. I've gotten used to the fact that 30% chance of snow showers means more certainty of upslope than just about any synoptic setup :)

That’s why POPS are such an easy forecast with upslope.  Probability of precipitation has nothing to do with amounts, but it 100% is going to precipitate given certain broad parameters.  The mountains do not move, this isn’t like synoptic lift that relies on forcing that may move around and offer some uncertainty.  It’s rock anchored to the ground and it is going to cause sufficient lift to, at the very least, get precipitation to fall from the sky.

Thats why I never get the POPS forecasts... it should be near 100% every time the models spit out panels of even 0.01+ in the usual spots and the flow is out of some sort of westerly direction lol.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s why POPS are such an easy forecast with upslope.  Probability of precipitation has nothing to do with amounts, but it 100% is going to precipitate given certain broad parameters.  The mountains do not move, this isn’t like synoptic lift that relies on forcing that may move around and offer some uncertainty.  It’s rock anchored to the ground and it is going to cause sufficient lift to, at the very least, get precipitation to fall from the sky.

Thats why I never get the POPS forecasts... it should be near 100% every time the models spit out panels of even 0.01+ in the usual spots and the flow is out of some sort of westerly direction lol.

Therein lies the problem. PoP from models are created from QPF. The more QPF the higher the PoP (to a certain extent, it's not like you need 5 inches to get 100% PoP). So even if a model is spitting out a lot of 0.01" amounts, that will translate to a low PoP. And if you blend a bunch of models with 0.01" in different locations, the PoP can go even lower. 

So you manually need to increase the values. That's usually the failure point in the forecasts.

• Thanks 1