Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Phin

Every model shows below freezing surface here through duration and I'm east of 81 so no rain here most likely but mixing definitely. I think we do pretty good here accumulation wise . I'm going with 8-13" total storm . 

That's possible. I could see you getting 8 inches or so. You will have an interval of sleet or ZR in the middle, totals will depend on how long it lasts and if the CCB stuff materializes, which is never a sure bet around here. 

48 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's pretty clear what's happening, but let the football spiking continue in the ever-shrinking jackpot zone south of the Mason-Dixon.

If I can get 4-6 before a changeover and some backside snow, I’d be fine with that. I hate sleet but it’s better than rain I suppose.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I never said anything about warning level snowfall. Read my post again, slower this time, weenie.

I did. Saying “some snow” to sleet to snow (backend snow nonetheless) sounded to me like you were talking low totals. My apologies. 

And yes, I’m a weenie. A weenie who’s about to experience my first legit storm up in the northern tier of MD.... and my first legit shot at a foot in some years. This weenie is going to enjoy the crap out of it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

If I can get 4-6 before a changeover and some backside snow, I’d be fine with that. I hate sleet but it’s better than rain I suppose.

Only good thing about sleet is it makes the snow harder to melt. If we had a nice snowcover I wouldn’t mind a sleet storm to cover and protect it. 

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Only good thing about sleet is it makes the snow harder to melt. If we had a nice snowcover I wouldn’t mind a sleet storm to cover and protect it. 

For sure. Snow, sleet with snow on top should stick around for a few days I hope. You’ll do well though. 

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

I did. Saying “some snow” to sleet to snow (backend snow nonetheless) sounded to me like you were talking low totals. My apologies. 

And yes, I’m a weenie. A weenie who’s about to experience my first legit storm up in the northern tier of MD.... and my first legit shot at a foot in some years. This weenie is going to enjoy the crap out of it. 

I think warning-level snow is still in the cards for you. But there will be a period of mixed crap in the middle. It will just last for a shorter period of time in your backyard than near DC, where it will be the majority of the storm. But the evolution of the day will be the same for everyone. Snow, to mix, then back to snow. Just adjust the length of the intervals, factor in a potential dry slot, and take terrain into account. 

And I can assure you I am not jealous of your snowstorm. My new house averages 185" a year and is sitting at 2 degrees with 10 inches OTG right now. LOL

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

@medmax...it was a bit of an inside joke. My kind take? South Central PA isn’t part of this forum and the majority of people here won’t see a significant storm. I’d wager that many of those people don’t care to hear about how much of a “pummeling” the mountain dwellers in the Blue Ridge receive, let along folks outside of our forum.

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic