Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Not really.  With it showing temps in the mid to high teens here during the worst of the storm, you would expect higher ratios.  The 10-1 here is for 10" from the Wed storm, but the Kuchie has 17".

It's ridiculous at this range but it can be too cold aloft for best ratios. Surface temps also don't determine ratios. I remember numerous occasions where I had 10-1 at best sand flakes living at Penn State with temps in the low teens. Dendrites are -12 to -18C, colder than that also hurts ratios. But any snow map at this range especially is ridiculous, at this range you only care about the pattern coming in and overall evolution. Looks good to me which is what I care about. 

2 minutes ago, SnowEMass said:

If I have to manage with 16” I guess I could.  Would like to see that power streak shifted NE though

The overall evolution is what we should care about at this range. Any snow map is eye candy as the storm is happening (got burned on the last weekend storm myself) much less 120hrs out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Not really.  With it showing temps in the mid to high teens here during the worst of the storm, you would expect higher ratios.  The 10-1 here is for 10" from the Wed storm, but the Kuchie has 17".

I'll be the turd in the punchbowl. 

Cold storms are where the Kuchera ratios fail most. It's designed for near freezing cases, to account for mixing and lower ratios, but there is actually no limit to how high the ratio can get as temps below 500 mb get colder. And we know that snow ratio doesn't improve linearly with cooling temps. 

Take the mid to high teens, let's say average of 18. Let's assume that's the max temp below 500 mb too. That means Kuchera is like 18:1. That's not a realistic ratio for the duration of an event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, jm1220 said:

It's ridiculous at this range but it can be too cold aloft for best ratios. Surface temps also don't determine ratios. I remember numerous occasions where I had 10-1 at best sand flakes living at Penn State with temps in the low teens. Dendrites are -12 to -18C, colder than that also hurts ratios. But any snow map at this range especially is ridiculous, at this range you only care about the pattern coming in and overall evolution. Looks good to me which is what I care about. 

Excellent points.   I just think what we can take from any/all of this, is the potential with a set up like this potentially shows?

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Excellent points.   I just think what we can take from any/all of this, is the potential with a set up like this potentially shows?

Yep. It's not a Jan 1996 or Feb 1983 verbatim by any means but a strong trough/Shortwave coming in against a reinforced 50-50, blocking setup screams potential. Maybe one concern to me is the PNA ridge not being ideal. You look at those storms, they had a sharp PNA ridge over ID to AZ. Also the blocking doesn't seem too stout and the flow is progressive so not as long lasting a system. But it could be a really nice system for many people IF the evolution stays this way. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Ahh, retirement must be wonderful.  Hopefully Someday I can enjoy that life.  Nice Jerry.  You can give the PBP in an hour. 

It’s an amazing time to look forward to!  I actually have a side gig of about 8 hours/week and I can generally choose when.  I bet a lot of folks are up tonight!

For the 28 years I consider La Ninas since 1930-31, Philadelphia has never had more than 12.8 inches of snow in December. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but any models showing that much or more are likely too high. I can see on Weather.com they have 5-8" during the day and then 5-8" during the night on 12/16. I would bet pretty strongly on a different evolution of the storm for the Northeast, just from knowing those stats in Philadelphia. One possible kink in the storm evolution would be the system out here that gets to the NE around 12/14, it's probably going to look somewhat different than depicted once it exits New Mexico. It seems to be trending south and stronger with time.

For Boston, NYC, and Philly, the highest snow totals for 12/12-12/31 from 1931-2019 are:

Boston: 25.4" (2007)

New York City: 29.6" (1947)

Philadelphia: 24.1" (2009)

• Like 1

Well looks like my coating .022” for the year here   at Webster lake will stay intact.  We got no snow from the last major storm and nothing in October and finally a coating from the clipper.  Though with that strong high and dry cold I don’t see that disturbance on Monday or We’d night making it past the SNH boarder.  I might be wrong though I just don’t see how those two lows can make it up.here without being shredded for both storms.  Especially for Wed and Thurs since that high and dry cold air will be very strong.  

19 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

For the 28 years I consider La Ninas since 1930-31, Philadelphia has never had more than 12.8 inches of snow in December. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but any models showing that much or more are likely too high. I can see on Weather.com they have 5-8" during the day and then 5-8" during the night on 12/16. I would bet pretty strongly on a different evolution of the storm for the Northeast, just from knowing those stats in Philadelphia. One possible kink in the storm evolution would be the system out here that gets to the NE around 12/14, it's probably going to look somewhat different than depicted once it exits New Mexico. It seems to be trending south and stronger with time.

For Boston, NYC, and Philly, the highest snow totals for 12/12-12/31 from 1931-2019 are:

Agree...I think this primary holds on longer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Dec 2009 was a Nina? 09-10 was a Nino. The 12/19/09 storm was a Nino-evolution storm from what I know. Not that I complain about that storm I had about 20" from the 12/19/09 storm.