Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Definitely some good winter imagery in the film! Speaking of the polar region, the best wx video I ever saw came from some documentary that showed a biblical storm in Antarctica. It looked a little something like this :o 

The part at the end about how outside travel during Condition 1 is not permitted was a nice touch.

• Haha 1

If you all want a short'sh film that has ice, cold n snow you should check out 'under an arctic sky'. This was done by well known photographer Chris burkard and his team. It takes place in Iceland and focuses on surfing during winter. Im not a surfer at all, but thought it was really well done.

• Like 1

For those that don't follow me on Twitter:

Today was a rough day. My parents let me know that after 13.5 years and raising him from an 8 week old puppy, we had to put down our family dog. He went downhill very rapidly under suspicion of a malignant brain tumor. I wish I could've held him and pet him one last time. What a horrible way to end 2020. Hopefully it snows tomorrow night and Thursday, but I'm beginning to have doubts. This year can pound sand. 

• Sad 12

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Today was a rough day. My parents let me know that after 13.5 years and raising him from an 8 week old puppy, we had to put down our family dog. He went downhill very rapidly under suspicion of a malignant brain tumor. I wish I could've held him and pet him one last time. What a horrible way to end 2020. Hopefully it snows tomorrow night and Thursday, but I'm beginning to have doubts. This year can pound sand. 

Ugh, I’m so sorry to see this.  It’s so hard to lose a family dog, even more so around the holidays (and when you aren’t there to see him again).  My best to you and try to cherish all the good memories.  We lost one of our dogs earlier this year...time heals but we still miss him.  

• Thanks 1

i did not know this

https://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/status/messages/

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0511Z WED DEC 30 2020

PROD JOB SUBMISSIONS UPDATE - EMERGENCY WCOSS PRODUCTION SWITCH
TO ORLANDO...

One of the supercomputers in Reston (Luna) has encountered a
filesystem problem. NCO's
model production team and IBM are preparing for an emergency
production supercomputer switch to Orlando.

Ready/SDM/NCO/NCEP
  • Thanks 1

@high risk @dtk  sever backup is in Orlando?

NOUS42 KWNO 300936
ADASDM

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ALERT ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0936Z WED DEC 30 2020

...EMERGENCY WCOSS PRODUCTION SWITCH - FINAL UPDATE...

NCO has completed post emergency switch model production cleanup.
 NCEP model production is running normally in Orlando.

Final model delays (this list is not fully inclusive as not all
models are tracked for timeliness):

* 00Z GEFS (110 min after forecast hour 90)
    * 00Z HWRF (130 min, running 2 storms for JTWC)
    * 04Z CIP (70 min)
    * 05Z CIP (18 min)
    * 03Z HRRR (130 min after forecast hour 10)
    * 03Z RAP (2 hrs after forecast hour 42)
    * 04Z RAP (50 min)
    * 03Z SREF (110 min)
    * 06Z HRRR (55 min)
    * 06Z NAM smartinit (up to 60 min)
    * 06Z HIRESW AK and PR smartinit (up to 50 min)

Ready/SDM/NCO/NCEP

7 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Sorry to hear that.  I just lost my dog a couple of weeks ago.  It rough.

• Like 2

Here's what I know....until it actually snows or the pattern really does deliver there will be many who will try to break it down or poo poo it before it even gets here. We are all anxious but hopefully it won't be overwhelming or exhausting as they try hard with their doom and gloom posts. We clearly have a couple of weeks to wait....who has the emotional maturity to make it? I know who doesn't :devilsmiley:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Here's what I know....until it actually snows or the pattern really does deliver there will be many who will try to break it down or poo poo it before it even gets here. We are all anxious but hopefully it won't be overwhelming or exhausting as they try hard with their doom and gloom posts. We clearly have a couple of weeks to wait....who has the emotional maturity to make it? I know who doesn't :devilsmiley:

I spent some time this morning looking at my snowfall measurements since moving to WV in 2006  I'm in a pretty good spot to get wintry weather relative to the rest of the forum.  I have verified WSW criteria at least once a calendar year for 12 years straight.  I have had accumulating snow as early as 10/29 and as late as 3/29, so call that the "season" when I can see snow on the ground. 

Even with my location, I have only seen accumulating snow on 9% of the days during that snow "season."  Only 4% of those days have seen an inch fall.  Only 2% has seen 3".  And only 1% of days has had a 6" snowfall.  You really need a lot of patience to wait for snow in our region.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I spent some time this morning looking at my snowfall measurements since moving to WV in 2006  I'm in a pretty good spot to get wintry weather relative to the rest of the forum.  I have verified WSW criteria at least once a calendar year for 12 years straight.  I have had accumulating snow as early as 10/29 and as late as 3/29, so call that the "season" when I can see snow on the ground. 

Even with my location, I have only seen accumulating snow on 9% of the days during that snow "season."  Only 4% of those days have seen an inch fall.  Only 2% has seen 3".  And only 1% of days has had a 6" snowfall.  You really need a lot of patience to wait for snow in our region.

Paging Ji paging Ji

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Starting to see the posts on twitter and here about how long it lasts...when it breaks down or perhaps....could it possibly have a negative effect. Meanwhile it's December 30th and nothing has happened yet. People try too hard to look and sound smart

I’ve learned if I put together forcing, stratospheric, coupling, troposphere, and ENSO together in a sentence, people immediately think I have a PhD.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

The way that Eric Webb is excited about this warming event gives me the feeling we will at some point be watching a nice big Winston Salem snowstorm. Congrats NC!

in november Eric Webb looked at the EPS and said pump this pattern into my veins.

NC still hasnt seen a flake outside the western mountains

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

in november Eric Webb looked at the EPS and said pump this pattern into my veins.

NC still hasnt seen a flake outside the western mountains

so you are saying the pattern change is probably bootleg....or...if it only produces say about 10" total then it is a bust?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic