Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The 10-11 winter was all about a continuation of the 187 year record -NAO pattern that  began in 09-10. So the record  -NAO had a greater influence than the MJO. We can remember how unfavorable the Pacific was from December 1-25 with all the fantasy snowstorms that showed up with the -PNA. But the -NAO set a record 500 height height anomaly in late December. This allowed a retrogression in heights boosting the PNA and setting up the record 60 inches of snow from late December to late January. But once the blocking faded in early February, we began to move toward a more +EPO +NAO that dominated the 11-12 winter.

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.660

In conclusion, the winter of 2009/2010 was notable for the record negative NAO index in the 187‐year record of Jones etal. (1997), indicating the very unusual nature of atmospheric circulation over the Atlantic/European region. Despite 2009/2010 being a cold winter over the UK and Europe, it was actually around 0.5 to 1 degC warmer than might have been expected given this extreme pattern of atmospheric circulation. Considering observations averaged across the globe, winter 2009/2010 was one of the warmest on record.

We were on pace to break the 1996 record if the blocking didn't fall apart .

We need winters to come back like 2013-2014.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

The MJO is croaking in 4/5 that’s not good for sustainable cold. We need something to shake the pattern up or it’s very meh. Lots of 40/50’s with rain 

Major lakes cutter

3 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Can’t be too much worse.  

Can't be worst than last winter

Can it ?

22 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Remember when it use to snow in December? Those were the days.

Remember the 40 + inch winters ? Those were the days 

If this month turns into a dud, we are in very big trouble for the rest of winter. Bad November’s and December’s in moderate to strong La Ninas are the kiss of death for winter in our area

I saw that this morning. It’s ugly, real ugly, it’s showing an 11-12 type winter scenario....hard to believe that we would have back to back winters this bad, they are usually separated by a bunch of years in between

• Like 1

It stayed at 32 until 11:30 am out here; dropping into the 20s tonight. With the wind, it’s cold.

Woodstove is burning some cherry; smells great. 

The weather is what it is; sometimes I wonder if it wasn’t more enjoyable to track potential with out all of these “indices” telegraphing that winter is over, before it begins. 

I also have to remind myself that I live in North Jersey and not Vermont (at least until my wife gives me the go ahead to move up to the Green Mts.).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

We were on pace to break the 1996 record if the blocking didn't fall apart .

We need winters to come back like 2013-2014.

Major lakes cutter

Can't be worst than last winter

Can it ?

Without some kind of record -EPO or -NAO blocking, we can’t get cold winters anymore. 09-10, 10-11, 13-14, and 14-15 were our only 4 cold winters out of the last 11 years. 09-10 to 10-11 was the strongest -NAO of 187 years that I posted earlier. 13-14 and 14-15 featured the record -EPO patterns. The -EPO developed during the summer of 2013 and intensified during November and carried into the next spring. 14-15 saw a similar extreme -EPO combined with El Niño for the backloaded cold. But since the super El Niño in 15-16, all our winters have been warm with intervals when the unfavorable MJO phases ran the table. Some winters like the 18-19 and 19-20 featured the unfavorable MJO phases dominating for warmth and lack of snow. 15-16 to 17-18 had the unfavorable MJO for warmth but we got intervals of blocking for snowy outcomes. 

Papers on our only cold recent winters:

Winter 2009/2010 temperatures and a record‐breaking North Atlantic Oscillation index

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.660

The North American winter ‘dipole’ and extremes activity: a CMIP5 assessment

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asl2.565

• Like 3