Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discobs 2020

George BM

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

From Mount Holly AFD regarding  convection/wind potential tomorrow-

As the aforementioned shortwave trough passes quickly to our north into the afternoon, heights will be falling rapidly (as will surface pressure) and widespread rain showers are expected to develop. These convective showers could help mix down some of the stronger winds from the developing low level jet. However the main feature of interest from a convective standpoint is the potential for power showers, or a power squall, to develop along the cold front as it passes quickly across the region from west to east. The primary timing of this appears to be the 4 PM to 8 PM time frame. Dewpoints will be surging quickly to near 60 degrees ahead of the cold front allowing for a brief window of MLCAPE in the 200-300 J/kg range. Guidance is notorious for under forecasting dewpoints/low- level moisture profiles in these regimes, so I tend to think dewpoints and CAPE values will be at least slightly higher than guidance currently suggests. This combined with ample forcing aloft, boundary parallel effective shear of about 45 kts, and strong low- level kinematic fields will support a line or broken line of convection along or just ahead of the cold front. This line may be capable of mixing down wind gusts on the order of 50 kts, which may prompt the issuance of a few Severe Thunderstorm Warnings. And yes, a few rumbles of thunder are possible as well. This setup remains quite marginal from a severe convective potential, but we will continue to evaluate.

CAMs are very emphatic about a forced line of convection sweeping across the area later Sunday.   Mixing down some strong winds to the surface and/or getting some lightning are both on the table although not particularly likely due to very weak instability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

3k inspires some confidence.  Looks like a decent squall line for November around 23z 0z

There is no argument that there will be a strongline of convection later Sunday moving across the area - the radar will look nice.     My questions are whether it will have lightning and whether it can produce strong wind gusts.    The forecast soundings just don't have enough instability for lightning - stronger wind gusts are a better possibility, although they should stay below severe limits.   if instability is greater than progged, some lightning and gusts near the severe threshold would be on the table.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, high risk said:

There is no argument that there will be a strongline of convection later Sunday moving across the area - the radar will look nice.     My questions are whether it will have lightning and whether it can produce strong wind gusts.    The forecast soundings just don't have enough instability for lightning - stronger wind gusts are a better possibility, although they should stay below severe limits.   if instability is greater than progged, some lightning and gusts near the severe threshold would be on the table.

MRGL risk from SPC today for isolated damaging wind gusts 

Day 1 Convective Outlook  
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1158 PM CST Sat Nov 14 2020

Valid 151200Z - 161200Z

...THERE IS A MARGINAL RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PARTS OF
   THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS AND MID-ATLANTIC...

...SUMMARY...
   Thunderstorms associated with strong wind gusts will be possible
   this afternoon and evening across parts of the central Appalachians
   and Mid-Atlantic.

...Central Appalachians/Mid-Atlantic...
   An upper-level trough will move quickly east-northeastward across
   the southern Great Lakes region today. The system will become
   negatively tilted as a band of strong large-scale ascent moves into
   the central Appalachians. At the surface, a cold front will advance
   eastward into the central Appalachians with a pre-frontal trough
   developing ahead of the front. Thunderstorms will likely be ongoing
   along the pre-frontal trough at the start of the period across the
   Ohio and Tennessee Valleys. This line will move quickly eastward
   into the central Appalachians by midday. Ahead of the line, a
   corridor of maximized low-level moisture will exist with surface
   dewpoints mainly in the 50s F. This will be enough for weak
   destabilization ahead of the line. By afternoon, RAP forecast
   soundings have peak instability reaching the 200 to 400 J/kg range.
   This combined with extreme deep-layer shear of 100 to 110 kt and 40
   to 50 kt winds just above the surface, should enable a fine line to
   develop. The fine line is expected to quickly move across the
   Appalachian crest eastward into the foothills and coastal areas
   during the late afternoon and early evening. Isolated damaging wind
   gusts will be possible with this line of storms. A marginal risk has
   been introduced in this outlook for much of Pennsylvania, Maryland
   and northern Virginia extending eastward to the Mid-Atlantic coast.

..Broyles/Squitieri.. 11/15/2020

7 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

According to the nearest PWS, I got down to 27F around 3AM and then rose to 43F  by 430, then fell back down to 33 before sunrise.  WTF.

And now up to 47F an hour later.  ??  The wind is cranking here - again.

Between 3am and 4:30am is when cloud cover moved over YBY. You had probably decoupled allowing the temperature to fall to 27F. But when the clouds moved over you the added insulation allowed the warmer air just above the surface to mix down to the surface ( it probably got a bit breezy during that time there). Then those clouds moved away from you after 4:30am allowing radiational cooling to start doing it's work again.

7 minutes ago, George BM said:

Between 3am and 4:30am is when cloud cover moved over YBY. You had probably decoupled allowing the temperature to fall to 27F. But when the clouds moved over you the added insulation allowed the warmer air just above the surface to mix down to the surface ( it probably got a bit breezy during that time there). Then those clouds moved away from you after 4:30am allowing radiational cooling to start doing it's work again.

Must have because it was crystal clear when I went to bed and crystal clear again at dawn.

Cloudy now here.

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I did.  But I dont think i updated my location, and I don't see it using mobile.

I'm just NW of lake holiday in Frederick Co.

You're actually in a very good position for storms that run a bit inland. While DCA will be 40 and rain, you'll still stand a fighting chance of a mix or some frozen.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic