• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ISeekSnow
    Newest Member
    ISeekSnow

Hurricane Zeta

New Orleans has a chance of the eye passing right over it it seems.  When’s the last time a major American city got directly into an eye?

Anyone remember what the max gust was in New Orleans during Katrina?  I know they were on the western end whereas Zeta is more of a bullseye.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anyone remember what the max gust was in New Orleans during Katrina?  I know they were on the western end whereas Zeta is more of a bullseye.

I have family in NOLA.  Katrina was a minimal Cat 3 with winds around 115-120 mph (sustained) when it hit NOLA in 2005.  However, it still had the storm surge of its previous Cat 5 intensity upon its landfall

Just now, kayman said:

I have family in NOLA.  Katrina was a minimal Cat 3 with winds around 115-120 mph (sustained) when it hit NOLA in 2005.  However, it still had the storm surge of its previous Cat 5 intensity upon its landfall

The eye of Katrina passed east of NOLA. They initially looked ok until the levee breaks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kayman said:

Yes.  Thanks.  But my question was because I was wondering if Zeta has the potential to match or outgust Katrina in New Orleans.

• Haha 1

Is anyone under the impression that the NWS Slidell office would be wrong to issue an Excessive Wind Warning for the lower Louisiana parishes upon the eyewall coming upon land?  The radar imagery is signifying an intensifying hurricane northern eyewall with intense lightning that could be a Cat 3 when it arrives...

4 minutes ago, kayman said:

Katrina didn’t hit NOLA. It slid East. There is no evidence the city got anywhere near 115-120 sustained. Power failures led to fewer reports than average but the consensus was cat1, maybe cat 2 winds for the city itself. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

Yes.  Thanks.  But my question was because I was wondering if Zeta has the potential to match or outgust Katrina in New Orleans.

Gotcha! There's a 50-50 chance that it could especially if makes it to 110+ mph prior to landfall

Time is running out fast for it to hit cat 3. Forward motion is fast. I think maybe 110mph max landfall. Still very impressive. A lot like Sally that was quickly intensifying at landfall

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Time is running out fast for it to hit cat 3. Forward motion is fast. I think maybe 110mph max landfall. Still very impressive. A lot like Sally that was quickly intensifying at landfall

yeah, but unlike Sally, this one's hauling a$$.  

Lighting's kicking up again.

• Like 1

First tornado warning issued:

Tornado Warning

Tornado Warning
LAC033-037-091-281945-
/O.NEW.KLIX.TO.W.0093.201028T1921Z-201028T1945Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service New Orleans LA
221 PM CDT Wed Oct 28 2020

The National Weather Service in New Orleans has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Southwestern St. Helena Parish in southeastern Louisiana...
  Eastern East Feliciana Parish in southeastern Louisiana...
  Northeastern East Baton Rouge Parish in southeastern Louisiana...

* Until 245 PM CDT.

* At 221 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located 8 miles west of Montpelier, or 13 miles southwest of
  Greensburg, moving northwest at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Clinton around 245 PM CDT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile
home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and
protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 3100 9091 3065 9072 3065 9084 3082 9115
TIME...MOT...LOC 1921Z 140DEG 28KT 3068 9081

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...<.75IN

$$

MEFFER

14 minutes ago, eyewall said:

The eye of Katrina passed east of NOLA. They initially looked ok until the levee breaks.

When the Levee breaks, Moma you got to move.... LZ

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

132 kts at the 942 mb level! I'd absolutely go with 115 mph now.

e5ff74111c458e106ebab51ec7963336.jpg

I’d go 95 kts. Need a stronger dropsonde since surface is barely 100 and that’s not even measuring sustained winds. 

• Like 1

As far as the media and the general population goes this one is really going under the radar so to speak.   So many hurricane watches for NO this season and so much coverage of Gulf Storms. Like Covid, people kind of just let their guard down.  Many people are just saying  (as of last night) it's just a Cat 1.   However...

A strengthening storm always seems to over achieve.  Katrina was weakening and slid east of NO.  NO metro  1.2 million people!

This storm is hauling ass unlike many earlier season tropical systems.  It's not going to lose much punch

The eyewall could go right over NO.  Highest destructive wind is just in the eyewall.

I think this storm will be by far the most destructive of this season.  Not often do you see a strong Cat 2 going over a major metro area of this size.  When was the last one??   Lots of population just east of NO too like Gulfport which will be on the strong east side

What are some good webcams to watch?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

As far as the media and the general population goes this one is really going under the radar so to speak.   So many hurricane watches for NO this season and so much coverage of Gulf Storms. Like Covid, people kind of just let their guard down.  Many people are just saying  (as of last night) it's just a Cat 1.   However...

A strengthening storm always seems to over achieve.  Katrina was weakening and slid east of NO.  NO metro  1.2 million people!

This storm is hauling ass unlike many earlier season tropical systems.  It's not going to lose much punch

The eyewall could go right over NO.  Highest destructive wind is just in the eyewall.

I think this storm will be by far the most destructive of this season.  Not often do you see a strong Cat 2 going over a major metro area of this size.  When was the last one??   Lots of population just east of NO too like Gulfport which will be on the strong east side

What are some good webcams to watch?

Hate to say it but I agree. Also very concerned to see how the levees hold up in NO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

Hate to say it but I agree. Also very concerned to see how the levees hold up in NO.

Fast mover so the rains will be limited to a couple of inches.