• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ISeekSnow
    Newest Member
    ISeekSnow

Hurricane Zeta

Just now, cptcatz said:

Is that normal?  I haven't been tracking hurricanes long but it seems like every hurricane this year had an open/weak south side as it moved north onto the gulf shore.

Its fairly common, but not always true. Laura didn't have a weak south side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cptcatz said:

Is that normal?  I haven't been tracking hurricanes long but it seems like every hurricane this year had an open/weak south side as it moved north onto the gulf shore.

Classic halfacane

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, cptcatz said:

Could be the location of the radar not giving a full picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

Its fairly common, but not always true. Laura didn't have a weak south side.

Clearly you missed the whole epic battle about whether the weak south side of Laura was or was not due to radar attenuation

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Most north moving gulf storms have weak/non-existent south sides. I remember when people thought Michael was remarkable because it was the exception to the rule. Not only that, take a look at environment/synoptics and a half-a-cane absolutely makes sense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

It's a little odd with Zeta because although there's some warming of cloud tops on the south side it's nothing like you usually see when the south side of a storm falls apart.

Strongest winds are on the East/SE side right? They (N.O.) should miss the strongest winds I think. Places like Belle Chasse i think get whacked pretty good i think,

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

Most north moving gulf storms have weak/non-existent south sides. I remember when people thought Michael was remarkable because it was the exception to the rule. Not only that, take a look at environment/synoptics and a half-a-cane absolutely makes sense.

Lots of dry air being entrained into the south side. These half dried out type of N Gulf coast landfalls are much more common than an exploder like Michael. Dennis, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, etc etc. 

Hey, anyone know what kind of multiplier to add to the winds when they're howling through the concrete canyons of a city - e.g. the wind tunnel effect?

8 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Strongest winds are on the East/SE side right? They (N.O.) should miss the strongest winds I think. Places like Belle Chasse i think get whacked pretty good i think,

The eyewall is headed right for the city and if anything the center may go just west of downtown. Not sure how the city misses much of anything windwise. They're in for the full impacts.

• Like 2

Hope brandon clement is actually getting some wind/pressure data right there. In a spot such that if there were cat 3 winds in this thing, he probably would've seen them.

• Like 2

Just now, Moderately Unstable said:

NHC director is currently live on facebook giving an update.

I’m not signing up for the mark of the beast just to hear about a decaying cat 2

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

Three landfalling Cat 2+ hurricanes in Louisiana this year. Two with Greek names! Plus two 12 miles apart in landfall location.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beanskip said:

A worst-case track for New Orleans -- Zeta comes "ashore" right up Terrebonne Bay, keeping it over water for as long as possible. 

not only that, those marshy areas aren't going to weaken it much, if at all.

4 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Holy ****. 

Lot of erosion already. The landscape is changing quickly in front of this cam...

EDIT: It is low tide right now, and whew, it is rising fast.