Most Online
    David herry
    Newest Member
    David herry

STS Alpha

Just now, dan11295 said:

Shocked they bothered naming this....literally about to make landfall

EiNgZDsXkAEk1D8?format=png&name=900x900

Likely the radar imagery from Portugal is what pushed this to classification. It would probably have been declared a STS in post season analysis had they not named it today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Shocked they bothered naming this....literally about to make landfall

It would have most definitely been upgraded to a no name subtropical cyclone in post-season reanalysis. The RS and empirical data is supportive. With land impacts imminent perhaps they thought it best to be named.

1 minute ago, Memphis Weather said:

Likely the radar imagery from Portugal is what pushed this to classification. It would probably have been declared a STS in post season analysis had they not named it today.

I’ve seen worse looking radar presentations from June junk making landfall on the gulf coast in years past. If we name all subtropical storms, this should definitely be named. 

Just now, Memphis Weather said:

I agree technically its worthy of classification, just figured they would add this as unnamed STS post-season

1 minute ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’ve seen worse looking radar presentations from June junk making landfall on the gulf coast in years past. If we name all subtropical storms, this should definitely be named. 

Yeah. That radar is compelling. I mean Barry was a hurricane last year and was absolute slop. :lol: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Waste of a name. Good thing this is into the alphabet names. 

If it meets the definition of a TC then it should get a name no matter how weak, sloppy or short-lived it's expected to be.

• Thanks 1

Nice core structure for a subtropical storm at that latitude. Pretty cold upper trough overhead to drive dynamics and lapse rates out of meager 22-24°C SSTs.

c33c101efab744865c89bbd382be0d3d.jpg&key=2e7007bff52d346cd92e4d2349924c91ef3a621dc8926cb2a5e91e5b25037d22

What are the people who use male/female pronouns to refer to tropical systems going to do with the greek alphabet storms?  

I better not see Alpha referred to as he and Beta as she.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

What are the people who use male/female pronouns to refer to tropical systems going to do with the greek alphabet storms?  

I better not see Alpha referred to as he and Beta as she.  

At least one post on Storm2K already called Alpha (in reference to the Gulf TD) "she" since Wilfred is a male name.

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It seems we are naming more semi tropical systems than we use to.   Is that why we are running so far into the Greek alphabet.  If we took out all the semi tropical systems what letter would we be at?

alpha.jpg

The increase in technology has better allowed us to understand and identify tropical cyclones. Also, there's no way you could miss Alpha's radar signature regardless of the time period.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BYG Jacob said:

The increase in technology has better allowed us to understand and identify tropical cyclones. Also, there's no way you could miss Alpha's radar signature regardless of the time period.

Sure. When there was no radar you’d 100% miss that radar signature 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BYG Jacob said:

Well, save for the "time period" before radar was invented.  ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eduardo said:

Well, save for the "time period" before radar was invented.  ;)

I want to find an equally snarky response and cannot, take your +rep and **** off.

• Haha 1