• Member Statistics

    16,113
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
    Joined
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Didn’t you hear? The pandemic has been ended 

It supposedly will stop being covered in 7 days if all goes well so there’s that at least. If you don’t cover it, it doesn’t exist. Like racism. But Hopefully you guys won’t do remote learning until spring though. It’s hard on everyone especially for the underpaid teaching profession. GL.

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It supposedly will stop being covered in 7 days if all goes well so there’s that at least. If you don’t cover it, it doesn’t exist. Like racism. But Hopefully you guys won’t do remote learning until spring though. It’s hard on everyone especially for the underpaid teaching profession. GL.

Teaching in CT is a good gig, pay and pension bennies are good as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Ha.. That's what my gf said. I've started working out a ton again. I think body is just tired. Or maybe gout. Loaded up on the colchicine today. 

Derailed thread alert ... 

but ..what is your diet and age ?

Not to be too personal, but I have personal experience with that condition and have studied/learned ...and modulated my lifestyle around avoiding it, successfully..

..and pretty much have eliminated it altogether.  I may sometimes get something suspicious..but it never lasts longer than a day ...day and half, and is nothing compared to when it hit and I'd be hobbled for 4 or 5 days, and is forgettable.

I can tell you ... 

no smoking

no alcohol

50% of daily caloric intake has to be from vegetable/organic sourcing therein... Red meat once per week, lean and organic - and start liking salmon/fish ...  

I ride 25 mile rides, or run 6 mile runs....every day.  ..in fact, those on this board that no me as an ass-end of a dead rhino to look at probably would be a-taken back by how thin I am these days.   My total cholesterol is way down ... and I haven't had any gout worthy of even mentioning in 3 years now, when prior to making these lifestyle changes...I was once every two or three weeks dealing with something... elbow, knee or foot... even thumb joints.  

Also, if you engage in an excessive work out regimen from a sedentary initial position, the sudden drop in weight can also trigger a gout response.  You have to start easing off the bad calories first for a couple of weeks...  No soda ...ad that to the list above big time!  In fact, avoid high-fructose corn syrup like the plague ma-man.  ... anyway, drop 10 then ease into work outs...  The sudden weigh loss is your body liberating huge quantities of uric acid and other bio-toxins into your blood, and often...faster than renal function can adapt - uric numbers go up... boom - exercise induced arthritic attack.  

Once you lose...20 or 30 lbs and your body more fully adapts to working out regularly...you can even throw in a beer here and there, or a pizza ... live a little...and you'll be fine.  But, that is sub-moderation and treats.  

Just sayn' 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, BrianW said:

It was Ryan who posted that.

NEW HAVEN, CT — Connecting the dots, a meteorologist noted that a spike in COVID-19 infections in New Haven coincide with a dramatic increase in the virus being detected in sewage.

https://patch.com/connecticut/newhaven/dramatic-spike-virus-concentration-new-haven-wastewater

 

Screenshot_20201028-133834_Chrome.jpg

That is quite the spike over the last week.

Does this translate to mean that there is A LOT more people that actually have covid right now and don't necessarily know it being that actual new daily positive numbers are less than in April/May?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One town remains in CT without a single Covid-19 case.  Scotland, population about 1700 with red zones to the south, east, and west remains the lone hold out of having any recorded cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 11:14 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Teaching in CT is a good gig, pay and pension bennies are good as well. 

Still underpaid. Median salary for CT elementary teachers is around 64k. We ask them to take our precious children and show them the way. While parenting obviously shapes them...it’s our teachers who spend 7/8hrs educating them. Our education system as a whole is behind other countries. We can do better. If we legalized weed, that would go a long way to funding and improving the system (of course if the idiots in charge properly do so.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Still underpaid. Median salary for CT elementary teachers is around 64k. We ask them to take our precious children and show them the way. While parenting obviously shapes them...it’s our teachers who spend 7/8hrs educating them. Our education system as a whole is behind other countries. We can do better. If we legalized weed, that would go a long way to funding and improving the system (of course if the idiots in charge properly do so.)

64 k is still decent plus bennies and pension and summers off. I agree they provide an invaluable service but it is a good gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

64 k is still decent plus bennies and pension and summers off. I agree they provide an invaluable service but it is a good gig.

Summers off are nice if they choose to take off. Agree, pension and benefits are a plus. Not saying it’s a crap job but if we want to move into the 22nd century, we have to do better investing in our youth. Cut the bs of wasting gizzilions on wars and lets spend on our children. It’s not just about passing tests and making high grades either. Kids need to learn at a young age how to be great people first and foremost. Community service, activisim, taking care of the elderly...should be part of their growth at the public level, very early. Active in sports, music, art. I know it’s a choice as to who does what but we can do better by having a larger teacher to student ratio, higher pay, and giving them all the tools and resources available to set them up to be good people. The fact that our school district (which is highly rated) asks for donations with supplies, etc...I can only imagine what the poorer districts have to go through. Give each kid an equal chance, no matter their economic situation. LFG already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That is quite the spike over the last week.

Does this translate to mean that there is A LOT more people that actually have covid right now and don't necessarily know it being that actual new daily positive numbers are less than in April/May?

I saw a graph a few days ago that showed a similar spike from wastewater in Metro Boston. Sure enough MA numbers are up 50% in last 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Summers off are nice if they choose to take off. Agree, pension and benefits are a plus. Not saying it’s a crap job but if we want to move into the 22nd century, we have to do better investing in our youth. Cut the bs of wasting gizzilions on wars and lets spend on our children. It’s not just about passing tests and making high grades either. Kids need to learn at a young age how to be great people first and foremost. Community service, activisim, taking care of the elderly...should be part of their growth at the public level, very early. Active in sports, music, art. I know it’s a choice as to who does what but we can do better by having a larger teacher to student ratio, higher pay, and giving them all the tools and resources available to set them up to be good people. The fact that our school district (which is highly rated) asks for donations with supplies, etc...I can only imagine what the poorer districts have to go through. Give each kid an equal chance, no matter their economic situation. LFG already.

Sounds like you want more responsible parents and them more involved. I agree. Dumping more money into the schools won’t fix this. We already do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Beers 

Was visiting my sister last weekend in Boston and did aTrillium delivery. Going to light the wood stove and put a few back.

 

Screenshot_20201030-184121_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Was visiting my sister last weekend in Boston and did aTrillium delivery. Going to light the wood stove and put a few back.

 

Screenshot_20201030-184121_Gallery.jpg

Nice dude. Trilly one of the best. Scaled Up and Summer St both are fantastic . Haven’t had Atlantic Ave. Can’t read the others, but you can’t go wrong. Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Dang. Already 90k new cases at 6:30pm.       Hopefully the death lag doesn’t reveal itself and we’re just catching cases we would have missed before. 

More cases are being caught, but the virus is actually spreading more as well.  Nationwide hospitalizations are up by 50% since the beginning of the month.  The current hospitalizations are at about 3/4 of what they were in the summer peak, but we will fly past that mark at the rate we are going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

More cases are being caught, but the virus is actually spreading more as well.  Nationwide hospitalizations are up by 50% since the beginning of the month.  The current hospitalizations are at about 3/4 of what they were in the summer peak, but we will fly past that mark at the rate we are going.

Are the hospitalizations far less serious, however? People go to the hospital with fevers in the fall and winter a lot and it doesn’t make the news because they get some fluids/NSAIDs and are then released. Busy ERs are basically hospitals operating as designed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Are the hospitalizations far less serious, however? People go to the hospital with fevers in the fall and winter a lot and it doesn’t make the news because they get some fluids/NSAIDs and are then released. Busy ERs are basically hospitals operating as designed. 

Per Covid Tracking, there are over 9000 people in the ICU (out of about 47,000 covid hospitalizations) and almost 2500 currently on a ventilator.  Knowledge/treatments are better now than in spring, but the numbers are growing at a rate that won't prevent deaths from rising.  Daily deaths are in fact already rising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, no.  People don't go to hospitals seasonally.   You really think people say hey it's fall, let's go to the ER?  Please.

 

What you need to look at are the ICU capacity numbers.  Places like Texas, not good.  You got a heart attack or something there, you're pretty much on your own.  Beds taken up by Covid patients.  Hey, but the economy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Ah, no.  People don't go to hospitals seasonally.   You really think people say hey it's fall, let's go to the ER?  Please.

 

What you need to look at are the ICU capacity numbers.  Places like Texas, not good.  You got a heart attack or something there, you're pretty much on your own.  Beds taken up by Covid patients.  Hey, but the economy. 

 

People go to the hospital with high fevers all the time. It isn’t a social visit, I never argued that. 

Solid fear-mongering here. Yeah, if you have a heart attack in Texas you will die due to lack of care. Spread that fear. We all know how you voted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Ah, no.  People don't go to hospitals seasonally.   You really think people say hey it's fall, let's go to the ER?  Please.

 

What you need to look at are the ICU capacity numbers.  Places like Texas, not good.  You got a heart attack or something there, you're pretty much on your own.  Beds taken up by Covid patients.  Hey, but the economy. 

 

Yes they do, its called a flu season. Other health issues tend to be more prevalent in the winter as well. Of course per CDC flu hospitalizations don't start normally rising until December and we don't have 20k+ hospitalized with the flu through the entire year. Unless you are in El Paso, there is plenty of hospital capacity available. Texas is a big state

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Yes they do, its called a flu season. Other health issues tend to be more prevalent in the winter as well. Of course per CDC flu hospitalizations don't start normally rising until December and we don't have 20k+ hospitalized with the flu through the entire year. Unless you are in El Paso, there is plenty of hospital capacity available. Texas is a big state

Italian hospitals are almost totally overrun every single year during flu season. There are many articles about it from previous years. Clearly some folks think mostly empty hospitals are the norm. No clue why they think that makes sense from a business perspective. Doctors and nurses get paid when they see patients. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Italian hospitals are almost totally overrun every single year during flu season. There are many articles about it from previous years. Clearly some folks think mostly empty hospitals are the norm. No clue why they think that makes sense from a business perspective. Doctors and nurses get paid when they see patients. 

True, hospitals are designed to run in high as capacity as possible. empty beds mean no money.  part of was really hurting hospitals this year was everyone postponing their "elective" surgery (kind of a misnomer because in reality it just means any procedure not necessary to preserve life in the short term).Meant less money for the hospital and people with worse health issues because they delayed.

Anyways,. back to weather. Didn't mind the snow actually, even being so early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Italian hospitals are almost totally overrun every single year during flu season. There are many articles about it from previous years. Clearly some folks think mostly empty hospitals are the norm. No clue why they think that makes sense from a business perspective. Doctors and nurses get paid when they see patients. 

My father spent over three decades working as an emergency physician in a couple ER's.... and I know he saw a lot of patients that did not need to go to the ER.  People go to the hospital for very benign things, which is so much more common than true life or death situations.  He always used to say fevers were one of the biggest reasons to go to the ER, despite most people just needing to stay in bed for a day or two and take some over-the-counter meds.  The hospitals can be pretty busy most of the time, well before any pandemic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking for myself, I’d avoid any ER with numbers spiking the way they are right now.  I’d have to be in real bad shape before exposing myself like that. Most probably feel the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Speaking for myself, I’d avoid any ER with numbers spiking the way they are right now.  I’d have to be in real bad shape before exposing myself like that. Most probably feel the same way. 

That mentality has led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and worsening of treatable diseases for some people. People need to go to the hospital if needed. COVID fear is so unhelpful on multiple levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

That mentality has led to a lot of unnecessary deaths and worsening of treatable diseases for some people. People need to go to the hospital if needed. COVID fear is so unhelpful on multiple levels. 

Not saying it’s the right mindset. Just saying that’s how I feel. And probably a lot of others do too. Right or wrong. We need to get this virus in check somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are we on the flu numbers from 2019 right now being a month into the season, Anyone have those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.