Total Members
    Most Online
    sifatyahoo
    Newest Member
    sifatyahoo
Baroclinic Zone

Fall Banter and General Discussion

Just now, tamarack said:

Even more in Jackman and when we were having winter harvests at Holeb, about 10 miles to the west, the snow there was a lot deeper than in town.

It is as you head towards the border out of town.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And Jackman, and The County, maybe Calais/Danforth to get the late bloomers.  Moosehead area - my wish list is long.  :weenie:

Back to Pinkham:  Out of curiosity I looked up Diamond Pond.  It's 57 miles N from Pinkham and about 200' higher and an obvious snow-catcher.  In its 13 full winters (98-99 thru 10-11) it's average was 230.0".  In those same winters Pinkham ran 126.7".  Even adding 10" for the "M" in early Jan 2010 and another 10 for 4/1/11 only brings them to 128.2", still 100+ less than Diamond.  Doesn't seem logical to this non-met.

Yeah my guess is Pinkham changed measuring techniques at some point. I agree there is no way they average 100" less per year than Diamond Pond.....though I could easily believe 50-60"....Diamond Pond is one of the best upslope spots in NH.

Missing a few storms at Pinkham is a sign of that change in technique too....they probably measure once per day when they can get to the site whereas previously I'm guessing they were more meticulous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

What bad memories that winter.

I just remember it as the year that Maryland got 70 inches total in 3 snows while in Peacham I got 3 inches total in 70 snows.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

It is as you head towards the border out of town.

We need someone to build a cabin on the side of Kibby Mountain.....they probably average 300" a winter, lol....best upslope spot that radar can't see in New England?

6 minutes ago, klw said:

I just remember it as the year that Maryland got 70 inches total in 3 snows while in Peacham I got 3 inches total in 70 snows.

Most unexpected stat from 09-10:  BWI 78", CAR 71".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We need someone to build a cabin on the side of Kibby Mountain.....they probably average 300" a winter, lol....best upslope spot that radar can't see in New England?

Yes, Definitely doesn't get picked up on radar, Your not kidding about a cabin up there, , Buddy of mine works on the turbines, This was May 8th this year.

911918C4-619D-4423-ACE9-77FBDDC07D23.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, klw said:

Sadness and despair were endless that season.  Awful. 

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Sadness and despair were endless that season.  Awful. 

Now that I'm up here, I've suddenly lost any desire that I once had to see a repeat of 2009-10 :lol:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And Jackman, and The County, maybe Calais/Danforth to get the late bloomers.  Moosehead area - my wish list is long.  :weenie:

Back to Pinkham:  Out of curiosity I looked up Diamond Pond.  It's 57 miles N from Pinkham and about 200' higher and an obvious snow-catcher.  In its 13 full winters (98-99 thru 10-11) it's average was 230.0".  In those same winters Pinkham ran 126.7".  Even adding 10" for the "M" in early Jan 2010 and another 10 for 4/1/11 only brings them to 128.2", still 100+ less than Diamond.  Doesn't seem logical to this non-met.

Diamond Pond is crazy for snow.  They have the annual Snodeo there where all the snowmobile manufacturers bring their new models for test rides.    That is near where The Balsams is too so if they ever manage to build that resort out there will be plenty of snow.

44 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, Definitely doesn't get picked up on radar, Your not kidding about a cabin up there, , Buddy of mine works on the turbines, This was May 8th this year.

After a mediocre winter and the day before another 10-12"?

Just now, tamarack said:

After a mediocre winter and the day before another 10-12"?

Yes, They had got another foot.

44 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Plenty of room. At 1st I thought you'd be able to see them. That would suck especially in a rural area like that.

Real first world problems haha.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

Another world indeed.

• Like 1

@TauntonBlizzard2013 This is a good weekend to maybe try and kill your yellow jacket/hornets nest that is in your vent piping for the range hood above your stove....esp Sunday morning where you might be near freezing. The wasps will be useless trying to fly out in that cold. You could probably pop the cap off the venting outside the house and check it out.

But if it's not a big deal, you could prob wait until November or something after several sub-freezing nights in a row probably kill them anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

@TauntonBlizzard2013 This is a good weekend to maybe try and kill your yellow jacket/hornets nest that is in your vent piping for the range hood above your stove....esp Sunday morning where you might be near freezing. The wasps will be useless trying to fly out in that cold. You could probably pop the cap off the venting outside the house and check it out.

But if it's not a big deal, you could prob wait until November or something after several sub-freezing nights in a row probably kill them anyway.

Agree . They'll be slow and lazy . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Thanks for remembering. I forgot to mention shortly after I posted about it here they seemed to be gone. I’m guessing the spray I got into it the first time must have gotten more of them than I thought.

Hey y’all. After the discussion yesterday about NNE microclimates I wanted to say hi. I moved to VT last year from PA and bought a house in Hyde Park this past spring. I have been a member of the forums since Easternwx. I spent last winter at my apartment in Stowe and excited to be in my own home and not post the same obs as PF now lol. I attached a crappy google maps screenshot of where I’m at. I look forward to enjoying the cold and snow with you all this year. Sitting at 34F right now. 

8CD566AB-3F67-40E9-8F2C-27A0AED25F2D.png

• Like 4

Just now, timp said:

Hey y’all. After the discussion yesterday about NNE microclimates I wanted to say hi. I moved to VT last year from PA and bought a house in Hyde Park this past spring. I have been a member of the forums since Easternwx. I spent last winter at my apartment in Stowe and excited to be in my own home and not post the same obs as PF now lol. I attached a crappy google maps screenshot of where I’m at. I look forward to enjoying the cold and snow with you all this year. Sitting at 34F right now. 

Welcome to NNE. Nice area, a little further up 100 to Eden and you might have the snow prize. 

17 minutes ago, timp said:

Awesome!  Every mile north in latitude is a bit snowier.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome!  Every mile north in latitude is a bit snowier.

I’m very excited to get this winter started. This was May 9th just after I moved in and I couldn’t believe it. Can’t wait to learn the nuances of my local and be more active on the forum.  2EF2A1BA-AF07-459A-83D1-39F2D8266216.thumb.jpeg.87e4c1f8b3a9eb43a060e8534e7ae6b8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

9 hours ago, timp said:

Welcome.  Nice that we are adding more NNE posters.