Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

56 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He sees that and envisions rains everyday . When reality is most of the days are mostly sunny and warm to hot. If it says likely , that’s the day there’s a chance of a pm storm. In the winter he always posts those and it shows snow or showers all 7 days lol. And then he asks where all the qpf went. I honestly didn’t think anyone even looked at that stuff. It’s useless 

Oh Noes! running a 2" rain deficit for the month. Wildfires on the horizon  . As far as your never ending heat wave ? it reached 90 exactly once.

heat.jpg

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wish we would reban them. They make an absolute mess. My neighbors left my yard a junkyard full of plastic and other debris. 

I could see a chicken eating some firework debris, no?  Can’t be healthy.

On another note, the amount of crap that the commercial firework shows leave is insane too.  Private is messy, but the aftermath of a commercial firework show makes a field look like it’s got WWII ordinance all over it.

Stowe’s fireworks are a go this year luckily and we have a phenomenal back yard view.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Wish we would reban them. They make an absolute mess. My neighbors left my yard a junkyard full of plastic and other debris. 

I can’t believe they started allowing rockets 2 years ago.  Fun but insanely dangerous and unpredictable.  Rockets are the biggest threat to start brush fires. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

On another note, the amount of crap that the commercial firework shows leave is insane too.  Private is messy, but the aftermath of a commercial firework show makes a field look like it’s got WWII ordinance all over it.

Stowe’s fireworks are a go this year luckily and we have a phenomenal back yard view.

Yup. They’ll eat anything. We spent 2-3 hours cleaning the mess up on our side and in our woods. Then the neighbors mowed and shot a bunch of it back in again. My birds like to wander onto their side because they keep their grass short and they can get at worms easier. Along the way they try to pick up any plastic or cardboard debris they can get. I think only one of them got a plastic piece and only saw a few manage to eat the cardboard. I’ve done my best to keep them on our side since then. Their yard is still a sty and that’s been since Memorial Day. They just keep mowing the shit over and over. Drives me insane. It’s time for a fence.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Someday if you get a chance, if they have them again, go to the Festival of Fireworks in Jaffery MA.  They blow up all the unused stuff (Atlas Pyrotechnics) at the airport.  It’s nuts.   

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I can’t believe they started allowing rockets 2 years ago.  Fun but insanely dangerous and unpredictable.  Rockets are the biggest threat to start brush fires. 

Back in high school we would take the train into Boston to the North End to buy them.   I was so badass.    We got some neat stuff but the items available now are pretty huge 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

We use to get some 1/8 and 1/4 sticks back in the day and they would make some pretty large craters as well as wiping out mailboxes and getting all the fish you wanted in a pond.......:whistle:

1/4 stocks rocked! For fishing we would use 2 inch diameter steel pipe with screw-on caps loaded with black powder and match heads. If we were low on funds, it was Drano bombs. Very unpredictable however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup. They’ll eat anything. We spent 2-3 hours cleaning the mess up on our side and in our woods. Then the neighbors mowed and shot a bunch of it back in again. My birds like to wander onto their side because they keep their grass short and they can get at worms easier. Along the way they try to pick up any plastic or cardboard debris they can get. I think only one of them got a plastic piece and only saw a few manage to eat the cardboard. I’ve done my best to keep them on our side since then. Their yard is still a sty and that’s been since Memorial Day. They just keep mowing the shit over and over. Drives me insane. It’s time for a fence.

Mending Wall

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And we have assholes firing off sticks of dynamite right now like 1/2mi away and our dog is now awake barking.  **** you all who like to do this to animals.

It looked like a nuclear attack in my backyard on Memorial Day and my chickens had to face it and deal with the sulfuric smell drifting into their coop. Both cats were under the bed for 2 hours too. But at least they got to see pretty colors.

Someone up the road from me just shot a bunch off, dog is now sitting shaking in the closet 
I think I heard that here! It's like a warzone tonight...I also think I heard the explosion from down towards Bob's house about 15 minutes ago. Don't ever remember hearing so many explosions around here this far before the 4th. People are bored I guess...spending their extra $600 per week on mortar shells
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Fences make the best neighbors. Ninjad by Mr Eaves but so true

36 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And we have assholes firing off sticks of dynamite right now like 1/2mi away and our dog is now awake barking.  **** you all who like to do this to animals.

Tell me about it.  I have 3 formerly abused dogs who shake like hell. Luckily our hood has been quiet. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My dog hates them.  She usually chills in one of the bathrooms with music on that seems to hold back the shaking during the Independence Day celebrations.  It seems to be the compression of the larger charges that really make her hit the deck, as we are pretty close to the field where the town launches them. Any rogue firecrackers definitely cause a strong reaction too.  She ran off as a puppy during a 4th of July fireworks display as a pup.

For a dog or any animal, it must sound like the end of the world. 

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

GFS and euro are now bone dry up here for Saturday. Congrats NYC/CT. We pray for the NAM now.

Nothing short of a coastal hugger at this point will help the entire region. 14 days now without a drop of rain. My grass looks and smells like a freshly cut wheat field. Any water used is saved for the garden. I prefer to eat my veggies, not the grass.

56.1, at least it feels great outside right now...