Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

3 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

ORD up to 9.27" for May now. Should be fairly easy to surpass 10" given 2 more days of potentially tropical downpours. Today looks like a near carbon copy of yesterday.

You should see it here. Absolute buckets falling from Bertha at the moment. Wouldn't be shocked if we see 5" today

• Like 1

ORD up to 9.27" for May now. Should be fairly easy to surpass 10" given 2 more days of potentially tropical downpours. Today looks like a near carbon copy of yesterday.

Most has missed ORD and the metro since Sunday. Should be an increasingly better chance though today, and even more-so tomorrow.

I have brought this up before over the years....Is there a reason why LOT more often then not doesn't reset their radar total precip amount.. why have a 4 day total?  it is hard to tell how much new rain has fallen when the radar looks like a finger painting before hand

29 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I have brought this up before over the years....Is there a reason why LOT more often then not doesn't reset their radar total precip amount.. why have a 4 day total?  it is hard to tell how much new rain has fallen when the radar looks like a finger painting before hand

This is kind of a cool tool.  Does lots of things, but it also shows total estimated precip from up to the past 72hrs.  You can reduce that down to the last 1hr, 3hrs, etc.  You can also go as far back as one week to look at data.  You can zoom in pretty close, and include county lines, etc.

https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This is kind of a cool tool.  Does lots of things, but it also shows total estimated precip from up to the past 72hrs.  You can reduce that down to the last 1hr, 3hrs, etc.  You can also go as far back as one week to look at data.  You can zoom in pretty close, and include county lines, etc.

https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/

7 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Most has missed ORD and the metro since Sunday. Should be an increasingly better chance though today, and even more-so tomorrow.

Yeah, tomorrow certainly has more potential. Looks like the lake breeze shifted inland a little too quickly today. 

Long time lurker here, today I made a little timelapse video of the convection including radar and hrrr soundings. Could be fun to do this for a severe weather day. Neat to see the storms develop and die in the weakly sheared environment, as well as how convection quickly dies off when CAPE dissipates. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

Long time lurker here, today I made a little timelapse video of the convection including radar and hrrr soundings. Could be fun to do this for a severe weather day. Neat to see the storms develop and die in the weakly sheared environment, as well as how convection quickly dies off when CAPE dissipates. 

Very cool.  As someone who is probably a little too obsessed with time lapses I can say that's a great idea with the radar/sounding combo with the time lapse.  Well done.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, madwx said:

record warm min watch for Madison.  It only got down to 71 here this morning, and the record is 70 set way back in 1875.  Will be a close call later this evening.

Broke the record yesterday.  Might make a run at precip today.  Record is 1.86"

going to need a little luck today to get ORD above 10 inches for MAY'

best bet may be storms firing SE over IND over moving NNW towards the metro early

then another  wave this evening

12Z GFS now trending wetter for next week with storms firing around the ridge and moving ESE to start  out June

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

DVN has a flash flood watch for their northern/western cwa.  Hawkeye and the CR crew could be in for a lot of rain today.

Looks like the heaviest rains are gonna be setting up further southeast than it looked earlier, closer to DVN.  Farm fields around here are just now starting to get rid of their pools of standing water, so I suppose we're gonna get dumped on later lol.

EDIT:  Looks like the HRRR is a little too far northwest with the placement of heavier rains based on trends.  Will be playing catch up all day I think.