• Member Statistics

    16,019
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    BlckJckKhoWX
    Newest Member
    BlckJckKhoWX
    Joined
Rtd208

May 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

this ties the record for latest snow for nyc...

I believe the NWS uses some sort of rule like if LGA/EWR report it they can report a T for NYC otherwise either ASOS has to have SN or UP at NYC.   ASOS isn’t capable of a RASN or SNRA report 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next 8 days are averaging 55.5degs., or about 6.0degs. BN.

Month to date is  -2.0[57.1].         Should be about -4.3[56.4] by the 17th.

35* here at 6am.!      (Was 44* at Midnight and 36* at 1am)        Still 35* at 8am.       40* by 11:15am.        44* by 1pm.              43* by 10pm.

NEW YORK CENTRAL PARK, NY (   89')                   LAT=40.77N LON= 73.98W   
STA     TMP DP RH  WD WS  G PRS  ALT PCPN     CLOUD LEVELS HGT TYP   VIS  WX
NYC  3am 36 28 72 000  5 20 047 2969                70 BKN  85 OVC    10
     4am 36 24 61 000  6 18 058 2973                        85 OVC    10
     5am 35 21 56 000  6 16 068 2976  TR            LO CLR  HI ???    10
     6am 34 20 56 290 11 20 080 2979                44 SCT  HI ???    10
     7am 34 19 54 290  7 25 088 2981                LO CLR  HI ???    10
     8am 35 18 49 290  8 21 096 2984  TR            46 SCT  HI ???    10
NYC    6 temps: high=  36 at  3am low=  34 at  6am mean=  35.0   precip= TRACE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I believe the NWS uses some sort of rule like if LGA/EWR report it they can report a T for NYC otherwise either ASOS has to have SN or UP at NYC.   ASOS isn’t capable of a RASN or SNRA report 

when noaa switched to ASOS reporting its missed many a trace of snow...they need feet on the ground  but those days are over...there should be a video camera operating so we can go to the video tape as Warner Wolf used to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cold weather is great and all but I am really looking forward to getting back to some warmer weather and thunderstorms. Save this for November. Knowing how the last few winters have gone we will probably be 60 degrees with rain on Christmas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Down to 31 last night.  Brisk and windy early March day outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the past few years, it seems like our preferred weather patterns are “fast-forwarded” by a few months, delaying springs and summers on the front end, but extending them on the back end.  What explains it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

 

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

 

What would you estimate the odds are of warmer weather?  Cutoff implies bdcf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

 

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

 

Just give me temps in the 70's for now, we can turn on the oven Memorial Day weekend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

Just give me temps in the 70's for now, we can turn on the oven Memorial Day weekend.

That sounds like a plan!  No more 50's please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Just give me temps in the 70's for now, we can turn on the oven Memorial Day weekend.

Last weekend's oasis of warmth seemed so long ago.  Agreed on the 70s but Ill take the upper 50s/low 60s  with sun tomorrow and enjoy it :-).  I guess i brought the cooler weather when returning from a winter on the wc easter weekend.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What would you estimate the odds are of warmer weather?  Cutoff implies bdcf?

Id say at this point its too early but perhaps the tendency is to lean on the cooler/wetter scenario.  I think true sustained warmth and any  heat may be towards Memorial day weekend or early June.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

Id say at this point its too early but perhaps the tendency is to lean on the cooler/wetter scenario.  I think true sustained warmth and any  heat may be towards Memorial day weekend or early June.

 

I will take that too--just no more late march days disguised as May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

 

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

 

Could go either way with the cutoffs. They can certainly sneak up on you and turn nice days into crap.

Still we'll finally be in an overall warm regime by Friday & next weekend with possibly slightly AN temperatures (mid-upper 70s).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Could go either way with the cutoffs. They can certainly sneak up on you and turn nice days into crap.

Still we'll finally be in an overall warm regime by Friday & next weekend with possibly slightly AN temperatures (mid-upper 70s).

It actually looks more typical for May by later next week. We get a warm up followed by a backdoor cold front. 
 

A137318E-5958-47F3-B87F-2E1D1EC3791A.thumb.png.244b1599188e31b0a60e721bee407207.png

47AFE8C6-2CC6-49D4-8002-46D72DD4C201.thumb.png.78c9ee4f48bab8c57af19d695407ba28.png


 


 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForestHillWx said:

30 degrees with full sun, May 9. Incredible. 

And not to mention the snow we saw last night as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

For the past few years, it seems like our preferred weather patterns are “fast-forwarded” by a few months, delaying springs and summers on the front end, but extending them on the back end.  What explains it?

Remember we had a white thanksgiving in many areas.  Iirc a couple recent November’s have been cold.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Didn't realize NYC broke the record for 5/8 as well as they reached 36 at midnight

its kind of rare to see record lows for two days hours apart...it happened in November 2019...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.