Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Discussion

weatherwiz

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

We PRE?

You know...you were totally right a few months back when you said the severe weenies posting severe graphics were just as bad as the snow maps. Now we're starting to see convective forecasts be completely blown out of the water and every setup could be "big". Folks trying to use the potential hazard type box on the sHARPpy soundings, UD helicity plots, and STP plots to say there is big potential for severe. ahhhhhhh

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

You know...you were totally right a few months back when you said the severe weenies posting severe graphics were just as bad as the snow maps. Now we're starting to see convective forecasts be completely blown out of the water and every setup could be "big". Folks trying to use the potential hazard type box on the sHARPpy soundings, UD helicity plots, and STP plots to say there is big potential for severe. ahhhhhhh

Wiz 18 hrs ahead is all I look at for severe. I would chase in SVT, find a mountain top open area with a wide vista and fold shelf clouds and maybe a wall cloud.  You can't count how many times well intentioned Mets have posted 36 to 48 he NAM maps and immediately started talking about the severe threat only to have it poof 30 hrs later

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wiz 18 hrs ahead is all I look at for severe. I would chase in SVT, find a mountain top open area with a wide vista and fold shelf clouds and maybe a wall cloud.  You can't count how many times well intentioned Mets have posted 36 to 48 he NAM maps and immediately started talking about the severe threat only to have it poof 30 hrs later

It really just boggles my mind...is the art of weather forecasting becoming just lazy now? I understand using a specific graphic to illustrate a point...but that should be it...too illustrate, not make a claim. For example, these UD helicity maps are getting tossed around left and right and the tone of it is "tornado potential exists here" "watch for tornadoes"...sure, yeah that may be true...but there is alot more it then that. I mean when it comes to today I've seen/heard people referencing 5/15/18...b/c it's the same date...that's just irresponsible. 

56 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It really just boggles my mind...is the art of weather forecasting becoming just lazy now? I understand using a specific graphic to illustrate a point...but that should be it...too illustrate, not make a claim. For example, these UD helicity maps are getting tossed around left and right and the tone of it is "tornado potential exists here" "watch for tornadoes"...sure, yeah that may be true...but there is alot more it then that. I mean when it comes to today I've seen/heard people referencing 5/15/18...b/c it's the same date...that's just irresponsible. 

800.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

My guess is it’s not all week of rhea. But lots of onshore flow will limit temps and clouds will flirt with southern areas. Especially south of rt 190 in CT.

Yeah agree in general.   

I was just noticing a glaringly obvious ensemble difference(s) across the board.  In all three, Euro, GFS and GGEM, their respective ensemble means are vastly different than these individual synoptic handling of that D4 to 7 time frame. 

You didn't ask but this is for the general reader .. 

Firstly, we only spend time discussing this piece of shit cut-off nuance that bears absolutely 0 significance to any of our lives, because we collectively suffer a weather-obsession psychosis and are compelled to do so...  At least being aware of that, saves one from utter damnation in the hells of insanity. Ha!

Secondly, what I suspect - upon carefully evaluating each operational version - is that they are phasing the D3 weak-wave mechanics that initially turns the corner around the Lakes (~) and dives south near Ohio, with what appears to be convective feed-back over-zealous wave propagation out of Texas or thereabouts.  The Euro waits to do this infusion near the Mid Atlantic ( and it should be noted...no prior operational runs of these three even attempted this entire scenario), whereas the GFS does so earlier around the western TV region.  The GGEM does the same ...where ever in the hell it says it happens, it's doing that weird phasing with what might be faux wave space out of TX just like the other two. 

The ensemble means, don't do this. As a result, this thing dumps in and fills much faster, as well...the ridge spills over top by mid week with a much different forcing on the weather types and surface features et all by as early as Wednesday.  In fact, by late Thursday the EPS has a vestigial wave smear shredding to oblivion SE of the MA in the west Atlantic, while the operational is still whirling -2.5 SD torque menace over the Delmarva ... mm... yeah, that's a vast outlier - too much stress on believability.

Thirdly, this is all an operational model continuity break and synoptic forecasting 101 should automatically consider this suspect - which I do... because that wave coming out of TX idea...heh... I think that is getting overly developed and is causing the more sensitive physical processing of the operational versions to then have to favorable wave interference with it.  We'll see..

Mmm..  give the GGEM credit for collapsing into its own ensemble mean.  I expended a goodly dose of wasted energy writing a post this mornign explaining how the operational runs et al were so disparate relative to their ensemble means - this GGEM run fits it mean now.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yes, it resides in a cold dark cave high up on a NNE mountain where snow lasts till June and max summer temps hit 65F.

I don't get it. I see Mitch got a ton of loam delivered today....I may just go and have him bury me in it.

• Haha 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yes, it resides in a cold dark cave high up on a NNE mountain where snow lasts till June and max summer temps hit 65F.

I just had a memory pop up of a small patch of snow we found hiking Furnace State park in Danielson Ct May 15th 2011

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I would do just about anything  for that! Where my grandfather lived in southern Quebec  there was a mountain we climbed  mount pinnacle  and one spot always had snow in june

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

I would do just about anything  for that! Where my grandfather lived in southern Quebec  there was a mountain we climbed  mount pinnacle  and one spot always had snow in june

Was it Pinacle or Pinnacle? The double N is closer to BTV whereas the single N is closer to the NH border.