Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4/17-18 snow threat

ORH_wxman

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What elevation?

800'

4 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

What a band running just north of Binghamton SE down to Fishkill. 

Definitely coming down. If our snow didn't begin for another 1-2 hours I'm sure it would have been accumulating far quicker. Eyeing what looks to be about an inch now.

8 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Elevations north of me are getting smoked. Even at 800' I get the shaft almost always.

No you think you get shafted at 800ft in every storm because the elevations around you always do better.  But I bet you do better than the Hudson Valley and locations at lower elevations. 

5 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Close--it's a half hour drive typically (from my house in Narrowsburg to the MSV area) and a change of 300-600' in the positive direction, the original woodstock site is along the way. 

Gotcha. Yeah, my wife and I went to resorts and bethel woods last year. It is a beautiful area with lots of elevation changes. 

Good luck tonight! Enjoy the snow.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Over/under here is 2". Keeping it conservative.

Yeah I’m guilty of posting the snow maps as visual but those will skew some people’s opinions... it might even be 5-6:1 ratios in spots with white rain at times, not the 10:1.  Though maybe 1,000ft gets closer?  I still think up there it’ll be 8:1 up at elevation when we look at the morning Cocorahs obs.  

2-3” is a good pasty amount for the 3rd week of April.  3” though really is like the point where things look “white” and it has the feel of a real snowfall.  

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No you think you get shafted at 800ft in every storm because the elevations around you always do better.  But I bet you do better than the Hudson Valley and locations at lower elevations. 

My small corner of the county is only between 650-900 while most everywhere is above 1,200 (generally MSV north), so in turn we get shafted relative to them. But comparably speaking we do well compared in turn to even lower elevations.

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Gotcha. Yeah, my wife and I went to resorts and bethel woods last year. It is a beautiful area with lots of elevation changes. 

Good luck tonight! Enjoy the snow.

It's quite beautiful here, yeah, but some other aspects could be better--tangent for another day.

And thank you. Still counting for 2-4  here, and wouldn't be shocked if a simple drive up to MSV reveals over 5" fell there. Sometimes it can feel very abrupt to drive there and it feeling like a whole other world weather wise.

Rather curiously while I'm 33/33 MSV isn't that far behind at 32/30. Typically they're a few degrees colder in a setup like this.

• Like 1

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’m guilty of posting the snow maps as visual but those will skew some people’s opinions... it might even be 5-6:1 ratios in spots with white rain at times, not the 10:1.  Though maybe 1,000ft gets closer?  I still think up there it’ll be 8:1 up at elevation when we look at the morning Cocorahs obs.  

2-3” is a good pasty amount for the 3rd week of April.  3” though really is like the point where things look “white” and it has the feel of a real snowfall.  

Honestly I feel better to the south....lol. Sometimes when guidance shows NE MA getting that cutoff...it can have an effect here. My latitude is such where I'm going to get close to what BOS gets for QPF..maybe a bit more.  We'll see. Perhaps guidance is not resolving it right and it goes further to the NE.