Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fear and loathing April, 2020 discussion, obs, and the occasional derailment

Typhoon Tip

On 4/18/2020 at 8:18 PM, dendrite said:

So here we are on 4/18 and I have yet to hit 60F this month. I had a 60.0F on 3/20 although if you did ASOS 5-min averaging on my data my high would've been below 60F that day. That would push me back to 66.7F on 3/9 as my last day with a high above 60F. Just cheating and glancing at MOS, I could go without 60F for the entire extended period...

KCON   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   4/18/2020  1200 UTC
FHR  24  36| 48  60| 72  84| 96 108|120 132|144 156|168 180|192
     SUN 19| MON 20| TUE 21| WED 22| THU 23| FRI 24| SAT 25|SUN CLIMO
N/X  27  61| 38  58| 28  56| 29  48| 23  58| 38  54| 30  57| 33 35 60
TMP  35  54| 44  46| 37  46| 36  41| 34  51| 43  47| 39  48| 42
DPT  26  35| 32  22| 28  29| 24  15| 22  29| 35  29| 28  24| 31
CLD  PC  OV| OV  CL| PC  OV| OV  PC| CL  PC| OV  OV| CL  CL| CL
WND   3  13|  9   9|  5  16| 18  23| 13  10|  9  11|  6  15|  5
P12   0  20| 36   6|  6  68| 37   4|  4  19| 29  20| 13   8| 12 25 24
P24      24|     36|     77|     47|     19|     29|     16|       37
Q12   0   0|  0   0|  0   2|  0   0|  0   0|  0   0|       |
Q24       0|      0|      3|      1|      0|      0|       |
T12   1   0|  2   0|  1  10|  7   2|  2   2|  1   2|  2   0|  1
T24        |  3    |  1    | 13    |  5    |  2    |  5    |  4
PZP   3   3|  0   0|  6   1|  0   0|  4   6|  0   2|  0   5|  2
PSN  23   0|  3  10| 15   0| 38  48| 37  11|  5   5| 17   1|  3
PRS   6   6| 14  21| 15   5| 19  22| 18  20|  3  12| 15  17| 12
TYP   R   R|  R   R|  R   R| RS   S| RS   R|  R   R|  R   R|  R
SNW       0|      0|      0|      0|      0|      0|       |

EPS and GEFS are caca right into May. A month of April here without 60F would be lol worthy. I'm pretty sure Kevin cursed this spring with his early torch talk.

So much for that. Overperformed today with 62.4F. Almost matched the 63F at CON...rare we match them for a high, but this is usually the time of year for it with no green up yet.

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So much for that. Overperformed today with 62.4F. Almost matched the 63F at CON...rare we match them for a high, but this is usually the time of year for it with no green up yet.

Yeah this is the time of year where NNE can torch with the best of them.  No greenery and usually dry air masses that become extremely well mixed... over-performing afternoons and high diurnal ranges at times (I know you know this, ha).

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MEX is now down to 17° for CON on Thu morning. That would be the coldest for so late in the season which would be mighty impressive. 

That’s a disaster I fear for peach and apple trees.  Anyone know how to assess the risk of that?  I’d consider covering my trees as they are still young

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this is the time of year where NNE can torch with the best of them.  No greenery and usually dry air masses that become extremely well mixed... over-performing afternoons and high diurnal ranges at times (I know you know this, ha).

Yup - 59/19 yesterday, likely April's mildest and unless Thursday AM is colder, would also tie for month's coldest.

That’s a disaster I fear for peach and apple trees.  Anyone know how to assess the risk of that?  I’d consider covering my trees as they are still young

Buds on our apples aren't even swelled that much, so they're safe.  In one sense I'm happy for the cool spell - lowers the chances for a destructive May freeze, as happened in 1999 and especially 2010.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yup - 59/19 yesterday, likely April's mildest and unless Thursday AM is colder, would also tie for month's coldest.

Buds on our apples aren't even swelled that much, so they're safe.  In one sense I'm happy for the cool spell - lowers the chances for a destructive May freeze, as happened in 1999 and especially 2010.

Even down here the apple trees have an advanced much.

My forsythia is just trying to open up this morning. A lot of trees have swelling buds, but the apple is fairly dormant here as well.

Here’s a peach tree question that maybe @tamarack would know...if I chop back the central leader of a peach tree right in half and leave one original branch below it for this season (for photosynthesis), what are the odds I’ll get decent regrowth branching near the top to get a nicely shaped tree? The tree looks hideous so I may take a shot at it anyway. I know this method isn’t preferred, but I have seen a few people on YT try this with younger fruit trees. The diameter of the leader where I plan to cut back is probably an inch and a half diameter. There was some growth out of it last year even without any pruning. 

44 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Thank you.  I'm going to give it all a close look today.  We havent gotten that cold yet but thurs morn worries me.  My hope is that once this pattern breaks we get some really nice weather.  Maybe the cold helps against the early pests on the trees?  I haven't sprayed anythign yet

27 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

unreal how persisent this is.  any sense of when we get a pattern shift?

I haven’t looked at a lot so I’d defer to Scoot, but the little I had seen the past couple days made me think maybe after d10-14? Some of the models were looking warmer around my b’day May 4th.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I haven’t looked at a lot so I’d defer to Scoot, but the little I had seen the past couple days made me think maybe after d10-14? Some of the models were looking warmer around my b’day May 4th.

Yeah it’s into a chunk of May anyways. Weeklies even at week 4 looked questionable. But of course that doesn’t mean a few nape days can’t be squeezed in. Just speaking of the overall look. Eventually these deep cold shots will relax over the next few weeks as climo takes over. All you need is a sunny day and it’s easy to get to normal highs with BN 850 temps. Of course the airmass coming this week is just stupid.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it’s into a chunk of May anyways. Weeklies even at week 4 looked questionable. But of course that doesn’t mean a few nape days can’t be squeezed in. Just speaking of the overall look. Eventually these deep cold shots will relax over the next few weeks as climo takes over. All you need is a sunny day and it’s easy to get to normal highs with BN 850 temps. Of course the airmass coming this week is just stupid.

I'm sure as soon as we get widespread +10C 850 temps, we'll be getting a wheel-o-rhea spraying Atlantic ass in our face for a week straight.

• Haha 1