Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

For my second night in a row, I have a fever of around 100F with chills and a bit of head-wooziness (hopefully you get what I mean).

Yesterday I went for a long run with a friend after having been sedentary for almost three weeks. When I got home, I felt like garbage. Took a hot shower (also not smart lol) and I got out with a fever of 100.5F that I held for a few hours before it dropped off. I figured I had just overexerted my body. Now, seeing that I feel the same way tonight (albeit without the post-running soreness) I'm a bit confused. I've never felt this way before. The best way I can describe it is as if your brain is going hypochondriac mode, but the symptoms your brain are making up are actually real. No sore throat, or cough, or anything like that. Purely in the limb muscles and above the neck. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. 

:yikes:

• Haha 1

With all of the unempolyment benefits talk on here yesterday I saw this earlier today. "the University of Chicago estimated that 68% of those receiving benefits were getting paid more than what they made before with the median payment 34% higher than their previous weekly paycheck".
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-week-ending-july-25-123150219.html

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

With all of the unempolyment benefits talk on here yesterday I saw this earlier today. "the University of Chicago estimated that 68% of those receiving benefits were getting paid more than what they made before with the median payment 34% higher than their previous weekly paycheck".
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobless-claims-week-ending-july-25-123150219.html

Yea, I was surprised to see certain posters act like this wasn't the case.

I also wonder how many Americans are drawing unemployment from a job not returning. That's my primary concern.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

31 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I also wonder how many Americans are drawing unemployment from a job not returning. That's my primary concern.

Many employers have contacted people asking them to come back but they decline since they are making more on unemployment than actually working. Despite high unemployment, there are a lot of job openings within certain industries. The jobs are slowly being filled with new hires, and those choosing to remain on unemployment will likely remain there as they won't have a job to go back to. 

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

You could say the same for the states.  Everyone is quick to blame the feds, but if they are so bad why don't the individual states go their own way and get it right?  Take a little personal responsibility.  It is always easier to blame someone else when things go wrong and take credit when they go right.

In a global pandemic, the states take guidance from the feds on how to react. This time there was limited guidance at the start when there should have been much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Unemployment isn't permanent for one, and all that study proves is that the American worker is grossly underpaid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Many states did do everything on their own basically, Maryland had to go out of the dang country to purchase enough tests at one point. Several states avoided the immediate wave that was already in action in much of Northeast, and still were lax with preventative measures, leading to this mess now. It’s on both federal and state, but to pretend feds have done well is downright dishonest.

6 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

You could say the same for the states.  Everyone is quick to blame the feds, but if they are so bad why don't the individual states go their own way and get it right?  Take a little personal responsibility.  It is always easier to blame someone else when things go wrong and take credit when they go right.

Multiple problems with this perspective. Free interstate travel intertwines every state, we are only as strong as our weakest link with this virus. Repeatedly the public health side of this federal response says one thing i.e. reopening guidelines, and the political side of the federal response says there opposite, i.e. LIBERATE, Reopen, etc. Many states and especially those with Republican governors decided to reopen due to political pressures rather than public health science.

I don't absolve states from responsibility but big picture, our failure at containing this virus is unique in the developed world and I think the primary reason is the politicization and misinformation running rampant.

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I do think it matters in some ways, but in other ways not.  Like, we would have a contingent of deniers/minimizers out there no matter what because, well, that's how we roll.  

Would rather not rehash the blame game in here though because we know that it will inevitably wade into problem territory for this thread (and everyone is probably pretty much set in their beliefs anyway) 

A contingent? Honestly the entire Southern USA does not care about this at all for whatever reason. My personal opinion is they really never grew up with the flu outbreaks us Midwesterners have so they don't really get it. But my friends and family are shocked when I show them how life is down here, everything is packed as though nothing is happening. Honestly other than mask wearing if someone were in a coma from January and woke up they probably wouldn't notice it at all here. Life is mostly completely unfettered here.

Truly guys it's why I can't relate to a lot of these posts, I've been down here for the whole thing and we've been wide open since Mothers Day. That's why our unemployment rate is 8.7% while Michigan I believe is still pushing 15%. I've been cautious as heck but man there is a serious lack of caring here at all. 

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

The anti-mask crowd still amazes me.  Like it really is that big of a deal.  If not for your own protection, be human and care about others.  

A colleague of mine lives and works remotely from Florida.  He hired a contractor to do some work in his house.  When the contractor showed up he asked him to wear a mask since he was going to be working inside his house...the guy refused to wear a mask, so he had to cancel the work and go with somebody else.  Some People are even willing to lose out on business if it means wearing a mask.  The anti-mask sentiment is strong down south.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Inverted_Trough said:

A colleague of mine lives and works remotely from Florida.  He hired a contractor to do some work in his house.  When the contractor showed up he asked him to wear a mask since he was going to be working inside his house...the guy refused to wear a mask, so he had to cancel the work and go with somebody else.  Some People are even willing to lose out on business if it means wearing a mask.  The anti-mask sentiment is strong down south.

Wow that is truly astounding...(but sadly not surprising).

Very! Lol back in April a guy made a comment to me about mine, I told him “I don’t think it’d be very Christian of me to be spreading a bug to others”. That ended that real quick. Honestly though if my pastor can wear it, so can everyone else
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UMB WX said:

This is why they advise people to avoid going to large gatherings, practice social distancing and wear a mask.

Herman decided to do neither of those things.

It is true, and although I don’t want to make it too political, there are some who are laying most of this on 45.  Sadly, it’s a joint responsibility and maybe this is a wake up call for some.  Particularly if you are recovering from a past setback like cancer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

You’re a dick

drink some more 

He spread enough disinformation that people were undoubtedly affected in negative, irreparable ways. Yes, it’s tragic that he died, but the tragedies his bad advice has generated will never make the news. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Herman Cain's death was completely avoidable, especially at his age and previous medical issues. It is just ignorance to put yourself in jeopardy like that.

Life is unfair.. there’s people who wore their mask and only left the house when necessary and still caught the virus.. some didn’t have access to a hospital the way that Herman did despite the fact he didn’t wear a mask and attended a unnecessary event. 

GOP will continue to downplay the coronavirus even after Herman's death

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1