Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah we have only tested 15% of the country and of that 15%, 9% of them have been positive. All this in only 5 months. I mean can you at least attempt to realize how dangerous this is instead plunging your head into the sand 24/7.

Not worth shutting down the economy over and plunging us straight into a depression.

Guest ovweather
11 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Not worth shutting down the economy over and plunging us straight into a depression.

That's a very long ways off, and besides, it's not like the economy has been completely shut down. That's just BS. I see lots of businesses looking to hire help right now. Just like you aren't buying the fear-mongering about Covid, others aren't buying the fear-mongering about the economy. Funny, I don't know a single person who is struggling financially right now because of Covid. Hell, some are even making more money because of it.

Those that are struggling right now financially because of a few months of disruption need to plan better financially. A rainy day fund can be your best friend in times like these. Some people are just financially irresponsible, yet will now blame Covid and the government for their hardships.

Just now, ovweather said:

That's a very long ways off, and besides, it's not like the economy has been completely shut down. That's just BS. I see lots of businesses looking to hire help right now. Just like you aren't buying the fear-mongering about Covid, others aren't buying the fear-mongering about the economy. Funny, I don't know a single person who is struggling financially right now because of Covid. Hell, some are even making more money because of it.

Those that are struggling right now financially because of a few months of disruption need to plan better financially. A rainy day fund can be your best friend in times like these. Many people are just financially irresponsible, yet will now blame Covid and the government for their hardships.

Connect those dots and get back to me.

Now think about what happens when the $600 gets completely cut off and extensions end. 

33 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Last I checked the economy was still doing fine, funny how this bothers you, saving lives but corporate bailouts and massive tax breaks for corporations are no big deal.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Last I checked the economy was still doing fine, funny how this bothers you, saving lives but corporate bailouts and massive tax breaks for corporations are no big deal.

This is going to hammer small businesses far worse. The economy is propped up by unemployment benefits and a $2400 per week gift.

End those are let me know how things turn out. Small business contributes 44% of our entire economy.

Just now, Jonger said:

This is going to hammer small businesses far worse. The economy is propped up by unemployment benefits and a $2400 per week gift.

End those are let me know how things turn out. Small business contributes 44% of our entire economy.

$600 a week, and that is so people don't lose their god damn houses, so to call it a gift is incredibly ignorant and this is coming from someone who is employed and has been.. Would you rather have massive homelessness?

Also guess what makes up the other 56%, large corporations or government workers, and neither are going away and the corporations got a bailout as well as having bigger coffers. Again the economy isn't doing bad but you start taking this stuff away and you are going to see massive failures across the board. A politician would vote for that at their own costs.

1 minute ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Pandemics and capitalism don't mix.  John Galt had nothing in his playbook for stuff like this.  Businesses need to learn to keep more cash reserves on hand.  They need to get insurance policies that cover pandemics too.  (Wimbledon had the foresight to do this)

Not only that but the assumption that every small business is going to have 100% success, not every business works out and sometimes pandemics dictate things over history.

Guest ovweather
48 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Connect those dots and get back to me.

Now think about what happens when the $600 gets completely cut off and extensions end. 

I personally don’t know anyone who was receiving the $600 weekly unemployment. In other words, the people I know have jobs that have seen little effect from the virus shutdowns. Most of the people struggling during the shutdowns are the same people who were struggling before it even started. The same for many of these large companies who have filed for bankruptcy this month. Their demise started years ago.

24 minutes ago, Stebo said:

$600 a week, and that is so people don't lose their god damn houses, so to call it a gift is incredibly ignorant and this is coming from someone who is employed and has been.. Would you rather have massive homelessness?

Also guess what makes up the other 56%, large corporations or government workers, and neither are going away and the corporations got a bailout as well as having bigger coffers. Again the economy isn't doing bad but you start taking this stuff away and you are going to see massive failures across the board. A politician would vote for that at their own costs.

Oh, they're going to keep the $600 going, at least until we're so far in debt that our cash isn't going to be worth the paper it's written on.

3 minutes ago, ovweather said:

I personally don’t know anyone who was receiving the $600 weekly unemployment. In other words, the people I know have jobs that have seen little effect from the virus shutdowns. Most of the people struggling during the shutdowns are the same people who were struggling before it even started. The same for many of these large companies who have filed for bankruptcy this month. Their demise started years ago.

Almost everyone out of a job since this started is being paid more than the were while working. Most, not all. At least the ones that can least afford it and have less marketable skills.

Just now, Jonger said:

Oh, they're going to keep the $600 going, at least until we're so far in debt that our cash isn't going to be worth the paper it's written on.

Yeah right, you take issue with people getting money to survive but trillion dollar bailouts are no big deal. Those are digging the debt a lot further.

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Not only that but the assumption that every small business is going to have 100% success, not every business works out and sometimes pandemics dictate things over history.

Um... this is the first one since 1918 in of note in the U.S.

Guest ovweather

Small businesses come and go quickly, and will before, during, and after future pandemics. Things like Covid shutdowns just expose how ill-prepared many of these small businesses are.

But on the other hand, well established small businesses seem to be doing just fine. My nephew works for a small home-remodeling company. Their business is as strong as ever... staying busy even during the pandemic. Funny how things work.

Just now, Stebo said:

Yeah right, you take issue with people getting money to survive but trillion dollar bailouts are no big deal. Those are digging the debt a lot further.

Bailing out a sector of the economy is like teaching a man to fish, giving a direct cash payout to citizens is a temporary band-aid on a bigger problem.

• Weenie 1

Guest ovweather
4 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Almost everyone out of a job since this started is being paid more than the were while working. Most, not all. At least the ones that can least afford it and have less marketable skills.

For the record, I’m not a fan of the $600 weekly checks. It’s not encouraging people to actually look for available work. It’s ok for a week or two, but for months on end it doesn’t help the situation.

Just now, Jonger said:

Bailing out a sector of the economy is like teaching a man to fish, giving a direct cash payout to citizens is a temporary band-aid on a bigger problem.

What is the alternative? People losing everything. Can you possibly think a bit before commenting because you have a massive blind spot on reality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stebo said:

Yes and 1918 is history... Let me guess small businesses didn't exist then?

The economy was mostly agriculturally based.... we're now service based. People have to eat, they don't need ALL the same frills and other services they enjoy in a good economy. 

Just now, Jonger said:

The economy was mostly agriculturally based.... we're now service based. People have to eat, they don't need ALL the same frills and other services they enjoy in a good economy. 

Is there a need to have millions of options when we could have 100s of thousands? Again not every small business needs to survive, yes it is unfortunate but shit happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ovweather said:

For the record, I’m not a fan of the $600 weekly checks. It’s not encouraging people to actually look for available work. It’s ok for a week or two, but for months on end it doesn’t help the situation.

That's exactly why there are so many jobs open in the service industry that hasn't closed. Churn is high in these industries. People who didn't get laid off are still quiting (stupidly) and they can't be replaced. Try convincing someone to go back to work after you just got laid off in May and make almost twice as much as you did while working. People are gambling that those jobs will still be there.

Wixom, MI used to have lobby walk-in customer access to fast-food.... all of them have closed within the last month. They had to close the lobby because they didn't have the employs to take on excess business from walk-ins. I drive a large truck a couple days a month and I figured it out finally after we progressed in opening stages and their lobbies closed later on. No employees.

It's going to get scary when that $600 is shut off.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Is there a need to have millions of options when we could have 100s of thousands? Again not every small business needs to survive, yes it is unfortunate but shit happens.

Millions to 100's of thousands. 

Man, you certainly never took an economics course. 

There's 32 MILLION businesses in the U.S.

Just now, Jonger said:

All I am saying is there doesn't need to be endless small businesses and small businesses existing shouldn't stop us from saving people's lives. Those small businesses wouldn't exist if there were no consumers.

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

There's 32 MILLION businesses in the U.S.

All of them aren't small businesses... and I was right about millions to begin with.

Just now, Stebo said:

All I am saying is there doesn't need to be endless small businesses and small businesses existing shouldn't stop us from saving people's lives. Those small businesses wouldn't exist if there were no consumers.

You're not even saving 8% of the daily U.S. total deaths... and take one peek at the average person dying from this.

Old, fat and almost expired as it is.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jonger said:

You're not even saving 8% of the daily U.S. total deaths... and take one peek at the average person dying from this.

Old, fat and almost expired as it is.

They are not just old and fat, and certainly not those who are being hospitalized. I mean how can anyone take what you say seriously when you are factually incorrect here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Small businesses come and go quickly, and will before, during, and after future pandemics. Things like Covid shutdowns just expose how ill-prepared many of these small businesses are.

But on the other hand, well established small businesses seem to be doing just fine. My nephew works for a small home-remodeling company. Their business is as strong as ever... staying busy even during the pandemic. Funny how things work.

This is partially because some people are making more money on unemployment and have money to spend.  Also people working from home are spending less on gas and travel in general. 

• Weenie 1