Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

4 hours ago, mattb65 said:

42.4% of American adults are obese. Nearly 50% of men aged 40-59 are obese.

You wouldn't have much of an economy with your ridiculous and unconstitutional, not to mention impossible plan.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db360.htm#:~:text=The age-adjusted prevalence of obesity among U.S. adults was,adults aged 60 and over.

Yep, that's a problem.   Hopefully when this is over lifestyles will change for the better.  

Guest ovweather
41 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Yep, that's a problem.   Hopefully when this is over lifestyles will change for the better.  

Highly unlikely. About 300,000 people in the US die each year from obesity. Millions more are continuing to eat and lazy themselves deeper into diabetes and heart disease where a premature death isn’t too far behind.

Since some here love to mention the 1% will die from the virus, lets actually look deeper at those numbers a bit more.

109904084_10159042024142269_415457989696

Yeah when you put the percentages to actual values it looks more realistic than some sort of binary number used to minimize the impacts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Since some here love to mention the 1% will die from the virus, lets actually look deeper at those numbers a bit more.

109904084_10159042024142269_415457989696

Yeah when you put the percentages to actual values it looks more realistic than some sort of binary number used to minimize the impacts.

That person makes good points, though I think there is a little hyperbole at times.  For one, the IFR is most likely under 1%.  But even if it is 0.3%, that would be 1 million dead Americans if everybody caught the virus.  Secondly, it is hard to know at this point whether some of the damage to the body is permanent.  The idea that it could be permanent though should be enough for everyone to respect this and take it seriously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That person makes good points, though I think there is a little hyperbole at times.  For one, the IFR is most likely under 1%.  But even if it is 0.3%, that would be 1 million dead Americans if everybody caught the virus.  Secondly, it is hard to know at this point whether some of the damage to the body is permanent.  The idea that it could be permanent though should be enough for everyone to respect this and take it seriously.

It is a bit hyperbolic but it is hyperbolic in the sense of caution. I would rather be cautious than not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonger said:

Ok.... well, I'm clearly not talking about you.

Chill out bro, it was a comment based on medical community data.

I didn't know we separate our obese people into proper categories.  Ma bad.

Nonetheless, the way that you assume that one specific type of person dies from this and thats okay because the economy needs to operate and your business is up XX% because of it is more the issue.

• Like 1

Fyi, going to be tightening things up a bit in here.  Overtly political posts/bashing will most likely be removed.  Would prefer to not even see the president and other politicians mentioned.  The post about the president wearing a mask will be left up (at least for now) because of the significance/symbolism. 

Surprised no mention of the positive AstraZeneca news today.  Vaccine front is picking up steam and it seems like the UK is a bit ahead of us in terms of progress. 

there was a great long read on the team developing that vaccine in my Apple news.  I’ll try to find.  They’ve been way ahead of the curve on this. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Surprised no mention of the positive AstraZeneca news today.  Vaccine front is picking up steam and it seems like the UK is a bit ahead of us in terms of progress. 

there was a great long read on the team developing that vaccine in my Apple news.  I’ll try to find.  They’ve been way ahead of the curve on this. 

Is that the one that was tested on like 10 people? 

Guest ovweather
27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Masks are now required in my county where distancing can't be maintained.  This won't be a change for me but I routinely see at least 10-20% of people not wearing masks when I go into stores/businesses.

I’m not sure what good these mask mandates do when stores don’t enforce it. I was in Kroger last night, where they not only have a company mask mandate, but KY has a statewide one as well. Signs on the door stating masks required to enter. Low and behold I saw a few shoppers and even store employees (including the security guard) not wearing masks. Didn’t even have one pulled down around their necks. Of course no manager / employee was enforcing it. It’s about time to start handing out fines to those that refuse to comply with mandates. No warning, either. We should be past the stage of begging the fools to please wear a mask until further notice.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:10 PM, mississaugasnow said:

Though mask use is mandatory in most of the population centers and not wearing one gets you shunned. One guy tried to walk into the gas station today and they told him to leave and the rest of us with masks were openly making eye contact with him when he came in. Unlikely he does that again as the embarrassment level must have been extreme haha

What would happen if he had pumped his gas first and then went in to pay? :) This hypothetical also assumes no CC terminal attached outside to each pump.

4 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

It was like 1100. It was the results of the stage 1/2 oxford/azn vaccine. The moderna one last week was stage 1 results and that was 45 people. 

I'm more hopeful than ever will have a viable vaccine in early 2021. 

So what it is is that they gave a second dose to 10 people.  I saw it quickly yesterday and mixed it up.

A second dose, given to 10 patients, seems to have boosted their immune response further without adding significant side effects, according to a paper published Monday in The Lancet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/07/20/uk-oxford-university-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate-safe-and-effective-few-side-effects-early-trial/5470880002/

Guest ovweather
17 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

It’s not fun but I will say it’s not too much of an inconvenience unless you have asthma or other breathing problems (and in 90+F heat).

Plus, if you have bad breath or food caught in your teeth, no one will notice. The same with those annoying long nose hairs. Masks have many positives. But I guess if one has a thick beard, it can be tough to get it to fit properly. :D

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Is that the one that was tested on like 10 people? 

No, this was on a little over 1,000 people.  Albeit, they were health individuals 20-55.  The next round starts next week on 30,000 people across all ages with known health problems.  That will be the determining factor of the success of this.

4 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

No, this was on a little over 1,000 people.  Albeit, they were health individuals 20-55.  The next round starts next week on 30,000 people across all ages with known health problems.  That will be the determining factor of the success of this.

Yeah, see my post above.  The thing about 10 people pertains to the second dose of the vaccine.  I wonder why that group was so small.

Today looks like a bad day unfortunately, with well over 1,000 deaths based on the states still left to report. While Tuesday always features inflated numbers due to a lag in weekend reporting, this is still going to be the highest one in about 6 weeks. Not a great trend but at least it's not rising at the same pace as new cases.