Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

44 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Never in my life would I have thought that someday people could be made to believe that breathing their own CO2 on an extended basis would be considered healthy and safe. Just incredible. 

lol what? Is this a serious post or sarcasm, I work construction for a living and wait until I tell you about mask wearing when mixing cement/sanding. I guess you might be one of the old vets I stumble upon who laugh at people working in concrete dust with masks on. To them wearing a mask when working in construction isnt proven to help and no one will convince them otherwise. Aside from the fit tests the company makes them get but then right away they take the mask off :bag:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Or those other countries just delayed the inevitable. See Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc..

I would be surprised if one of the big European countries has a big flare up like we are seeing here. They have done a much better job staying closed until their case numbers were very low and then opening up really slowly.

They have criteria in place to slow down or take steps backwards if needed. Here the plan in Texas, Arizona and Florida was yolo, lets open everything and hope it works out. Now the plan is oh shit.

• Thanks 1

I've noticed that in other countries, when there's an outbreak or a cluster, they pounce on it immediately.  They don't hesitate to lock down if necessary.  They are hyper vigilant.  They watch the data like a hawk and pounce if they see something anomalous.  We don't have that mentality.

Incidentally, Israel and Hong Kong have shut down again.  They said that schools were the primary reason for their renewed outbreaks.

2 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Never in my life would I have thought that someday people could be made to believe that breathing their own CO2 on an extended basis would be considered healthy and safe. Just incredible. 

This pandemic is revealing how poorly educated average Americans are in science. There’s a HUGE difference between gases and droplets containing viruses, but keep believing your conspiracy theories and see where that gets ya. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

I would be surprised if one of the big European countries has a big flare up like we are seeing here. They have done a much better job staying closed until their case numbers were very low and then opening up really slowly.

They have criteria in place to slow down or take steps backwards if needed. Here the plan in Texas, Arizona and Florida was yolo, lets open everything and hope it works out. Now the plan is oh shit.

Yes, but this strategy is completely contingent on a successful vaccine being developed in the very near future. One of which has never been created for after decades of research with various coronaviruses. The end result is virtually inevitable, just delaying it with shutdowns. Sweden realized this and went that route. The goal is obviously mitigation, containment, and treatment to help our hospitals not get overrun. We should only be shutting down if there is fear that our hospitals ICUs get full.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Naw I’d rather infect everyone around me if I had the virus instead of wearing a mask in a store for 20 minutes out of a 1,440 minute day. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yes, but this strategy is completely contingent on a successful vaccine being developed in the very near future. One of which has never been created for after decades of research with various coronaviruses. The end result is virtually inevitable, just delaying it with shutdowns. Sweden realized this and went that route. The goal is obviously mitigation, containment, and treatment to help our hospitals not get overrun. We should only be shutting down if there is fear that our hospitals ICUs get full.

I’m not sure the plan was for this to happen like it is.  The country didn’t have a unified approach to this vs other countries in the EU for example.  Funny not funny but it kind of was yolo and here we are now.  There’s a lot of vaccine speculation with no concrete timeline to come of any time soon. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'd argue that Sweden lost more people than they should have.  Doctors have gotten better at treating the virus compared to Mar/Apr, and it may be better in October than it is now.  I think the more you delay getting it, the lower the chance of dying from it.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd argue that Sweden lost more people than they should have.  Doctors have gotten better at treating the virus compared to Mar/Apr, and it may be better in October than it is now.  I think the more you delay getting it, the lower the chance of dying from it.  

Yeah. I've just lost all faith in the medical field after being in and out of hospitals the last year with my moms cancer. The one I go to is ranked 14th in the country. They are not as good as I thought they were.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah. I've just lost all faith in the medical field after being in and out of hospitals the last year with my moms cancer. The one I go to is ranked 14th in the country. They are not as good as I thought they were.

Sorry about your mom. 

I can relate to what you're saying about the medical field.  And DON'T get me started on nursing homes.  I could write a book on that stuff due to unfortunately having more up close experience than I'd like at my age.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Confusion, muscle twitching and loss of consciousness are all symptoms of excessive carbon dioxide. Do you think a surgeon, who’d require surgeon-like precision,  would experience those symptoms while wearing a mask for hours on end?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RobertSul said:

Confusion, muscle twitching and loss of consciousness are all symptoms of excessive carbon dioxide. Do you think a surgeon, who’d require surgeon-like precision,  would experience those symptoms while wearing a mask for hours on end?

I use a TON of dry ice with my business. With that said, I have a co2 meter that I keep in the building with the dry ice and I have been in 5,000 ppm co2 for extended times. You usually have trouble catching your breathe and get fatigued. I'm not weighing in on mask induced co2 issues, just clarifying what symptoms are more common.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

I don't think a vaccine will matter as the rate of infection is likely to peter out by December.

Who knows at this point?  We can all say we know the progression of COVID-19 over the next couple years but none of us do, only educated (and some uneducated) guesses.

1 hour ago, totsata said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned yet the potential few hundred/thousand? of incorrect positive tests in FL. Wonder how long has this been going on for and is it happening anywhere else? 

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-florida-department-of-health-says-some-labs-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results

That link doesn't mention incorrect positive tests.  It says that there are negative test results that haven't been reported.  That is two different things.  Not reporting all of the negative tests would affect the positive test percentage but not the raw number of positive cases.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That link doesn't mention incorrect positive tests.  It says that there are negative test results that haven't been reported.  That is two different things.  Not reporting all of the negative tests would affect the positive test percentage but not the raw number of positive cases.   

of course a group of people online have taken this as sign of a massive conspiracy.  This reminds me of early on when Oklahoma was reporting only a tiny amount of tests and a very high positive rate because all private labs were only reporting positives.  It made Oklahoma look like it was testing an order of magnitude people less than every other state

ETA:  confirmation of our theory

image.png.f129377277574fa76d9bb4b046e00c87.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

You are correct, I should have said incorrect positivity rates rather than positive tests. To me it is still rather alarming to see that many labs with such high positivity rates and then have them admit that instead of 98% it should have been 9.8% positivity rate. There should be better checks in place to test the validity of the results before making them public. 

• Like 1

I agree with that.  All labs should report all of their test results as they are supposed to do.  Transparency is a good thing.  

How much the lack of reporting some of the negative results is affecting the statewide positive percentage is hard to say.  In any case, there is clearly a problem in parts of FL right now based on the other metrics. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonger said:

I use a TON of dry ice with my business. With that said, I have a co2 meter that I keep in the building with the dry ice and I have been in 5,000 ppm co2 for extended times. You usually have trouble catching your breathe and get fatigued. I'm not weighing in on mask induced co2 issues, just clarifying what symptoms are more common.

That’s pretty crazy. Do you go out afterwards and just immediately take in a big gulp of air? 

• Haha 1

I know that this is not a political thread, but alarms should be raised with the White House's order that the Corona data sent by hospitals go to them rather than the CDC. Months before an election and a political entity is trying direct the conversation. Just wow.  How transparent is this ploy? How are Americans supposed to be honestly informed if the narrative is controlled by a politician.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/trump-cdc-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200715&instance_id=20323&nl=the-morning&regi_id=132190987&segment_id=33439&te=1&user_id=6c0c6198ea2aad1257a6d55b6ad8e814

Sorry for the political rant. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Also the myth that this is an old person's virus can be put to rest with this tweet.

Young people are getting it at an alarming rate in Florida, and I would have to imagine this is the same everywhere else.

Who out there thinks only old people can catch it? It's mainly older people who are dying. That's not in dispute.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

Also the myth that this is an old person's virus can be put to rest with this tweet.

Young people are getting it at an alarming rate in Florida, and I would have to imagine this is the same everywhere else.

This is really the biggest concern.  It is impossible to keep the virus contained to younger age groups when you have so many cases (and FL has a lot of multigenerational housing).  That heat map is a nice depiction of it trickling into the older age groups more over time.