• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nyrangers1022
    Newest Member
    nyrangers1022

Coronavirus

Day 8 of nasty symptoms for me, I’m only 20 and it’s been pretty awful. Started to feel better Saturday but then woke up Sunday with a horrible stomach flu type thing, have heard of that happening to a few people. Just praying tomorrow will be the start of feeling better. 

• Sad 7

22 minutes ago, NEILwxbo said:

Day 8 of nasty symptoms for me, I’m only 20 and it’s been pretty awful. Started to feel better Saturday but then woke up Sunday with a horrible stomach flu type thing, have heard of that happening to a few people. Just praying tomorrow will be the start of feeling better. 

Yikes :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NEILwxbo said:

Hope you get well soon 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The J&J single shot will significantly accelerate the vaccination process. I agree I am also getting tired about hearing about every new "variant". That all generally have similar mutations anyways.

Last CDC update now shows over 600k excess deaths in the past year. Worst states per population: NY (State), NJ, MS, AL, AZ (All >0.25% of population). 0.35% in NYC.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

This a a good site that aggregates available worldwide excess mortality data. Shows that trying to compare countries based on official numbers alone can be ill advised. Good evidence of significant under counting in many places due to either lack of testing (e.g. Mexico), collapse of health care infrastructure (e.g, Ecuador), stricter criteria for classifying deaths (Russia), or likely suppression of data (Belarus, Egypt, Uzbekistan).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Got the 1st shot last Saturday.  Didn't get any symptoms, just a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  Shot #2 scheduled for March 20th.

Just got my second shot. The first was the same as you with a slightly sore shoulder. Still waiting to see if I have any symptoms with this one.

2 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

Its over. The J&J vaccine is the final blow. By this May, it will be a bad memory.

Feeling very optimistic this could very well be over for the most part by May.  Mask will probably be required at least through the summer though 

Have my first shot scheduled next Thursday morning, right before a set of 7 midnight shifts. And then my coworker and midnight shift partner has his second shot the next morning. Our MIC is on standby for possibly needing to cover one or two shifts.

From reading the articles about the greatly amplified immune response to the vaccine among covid survivors, and also a friend who had covid about a week after me having had pretty intense symptoms from the first shot, I'm hoping it's not too crazy for me. That said, even though there's some experts saying covid survivors may not need to get the second shot, I currently plan to get the 2nd shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Got the 1st shot last Saturday.  Didn't get any symptoms, just a slightly sore shoulder the next day.  Shot #2 scheduled for March 20th.

How are you and others, close to my age (46), or even younger, getting the shot so early?  My 76-year-old mom still hasn't been able to get an appointment.  I don't expect to be able to get one for a few months.

27 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

How are you and others, close to my age (46), or even younger, getting the shot so early?  My 76-year-old mom still hasn't been able to get an appointment.  I don't expect to be able to get one for a few months.

It's gotta be about who is considered "essential."  Lots of people fall into that category besides healthcare workers.  But there's no excuse that your mother hasn't been able to get it yet.

2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Feeling very optimistic this could very well be over for the most part by May.  Mask will probably be required at least through the summer though 

I saw a line from Fauci about mask wearing possibly until 2022.  Couldn't believe it.  Maybe he's being overly cautious or something.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I saw a line from Fauci about mask wearing possibly until 2022.  Couldn't believe it.  Maybe he's being overly cautious or something.

Given the trends i highly doubt that. Probably just playing it safe

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I agree, but on the other hand, it's tricky for me to imagine how masks get fully phased out in the next 10 months. I mean, there almost certainly isn't going to be an "all clear" from the federal government in 2021, right? Even from the start I figured mask requirements would ease over time in small increments. Maybe I'm underestimating how fast things are improving. 

Regarding masks, if case numbers crash to very low numbers by summer, and few people who have been vaccinated are dying or even having any major issues with the virus, and it's hot and humid outside, an increasing number of people will begin to think, "Why am I still wearing this thing?"

It’s kind of been a cluster here in MA.  I pulled my professional license card to get vaccinated despite being 74 years old.  My wife did the same.  Other than a really sore arm no issues with Moderna shot #1.  The older folks like us have been having less of a reaction though the 2nd shot supposedly is the tough one.  Ironically our daughter had both shots in VT-much more efficient vs MA.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Regarding masks, if case numbers crash to very low numbers by summer, and few people who have been vaccinated are dying or even having any major issues with the virus, and it's hot and humid outside, an increasing number of people will begin to think, "Why am I still wearing this thing?"

Will be interesting to see how it all goes.  The incoming single shot Johnson and Johnson vaccine is a big deal but even so, not like everybody will be able to go get it right away.  I think when we get to the point that everybody who wants a vaccine can get one, that ought to be when things get as close to normal as possible.

6 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Have my first shot scheduled next Thursday morning, right before a set of 7 midnight shifts. And then my coworker and midnight shift partner has his second shot the next morning. Our MIC is on standby for possibly needing to cover one or two shifts.

From reading the articles about the greatly amplified immune response to the vaccine among covid survivors, and also a friend who had covid about a week after me having had pretty intense symptoms from the first shot, I'm hoping it's not too crazy for me. That said, even though there's some experts saying covid survivors may not need to get the second shot, I currently plan to get the 2nd shot.

The reactions seem to be different for everyone. I only had a sore arm from both shots and no fever/chills type stuff at all.(Moderna) Some others from my work had fatigue and headache from the 2nd shot. One person did have a fever around 100 degrees for a few hours.

Someone who had covid around Thanksgiving just got his first shot and he only had a sore arm as well. The sore arm improves significantly within 48 hours. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nwburbschaser said:

The reactions seem to be different for everyone. I only had a sore arm from both shots and no fever/chills type stuff at all.(Moderna) Some others from my work had fatigue and headache from the 2nd shot. One person did have a fever around 100 degrees for a few hours.

Someone who had covid around Thanksgiving just got his first shot and he only had a sore arm as well. The sore arm improves significantly within 48 hours. 

Yeah one of my coworkers had covid in early to mid November, got the shot (first one) the same day I did and had no symptoms other than the day2 sore shoulder.

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It's gotta be about who is considered "essential."  Lots of people fall into that category besides healthcare workers.  But there's no excuse that your mother hasn't been able to get it yet.

The determination of "essential" is being broad brushed to a certain extent. Not unlike businesses given that classification last spring to stay open. Limited supply will always lead to wealthy, politically connected, and highly motivated individuals cutting in the line unfortunately. A neighbor of mine in her 40s received the vaccine as a designated health care worker for fitting glasses at an eye care center. Bit of a stretch but people will take advantage of opportunities given. On the other hand worrying too much about prioritizing only those truly qualified just slows the process down.

12 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I've been debating the latter given all the recent news about potentially not needing a second dose if you've already had COVID-19. As with everything else during the pandemic, I doubt CDC will recommend anything based on science for at least several months even as other countries appear prepared to do so. If I'm even more protected now from re-infection than those who never had it and got two doses, why not let someone who needs it more than me have it?

I got my first dose about 11 months after having COVID-19. There was some prolonged (~4 days) swelling and soreness in my arm, and I may have had some slight muscle fatigue, but I otherwise had none of the other symptoms reported. I know as of November I still had some anti-bodies from last March, but the study I'm part of didn't divulge exactly how much. 

• Like 1