Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not sure what we are going to do in this country if we are at/near the brink on a widespread level as we approach Thanksgiving.  

There were the initial stay at home orders back in spring.  There were also limits on group sizes, but the limits have been relaxed or even ended depending on where you are.  The reality is that it's a numbers game and while any particular individual gathering that is "small" is not likely be attended by somebody carrying the virus, it happens.  Considering there are a gazillion gatherings for Thanksgiving, it is a recipe for spread.  You can do it more safely outdoors of course but even that is not completely safe and it's not really an option in a large part of the country. 

And then we go through it all over again in December.

There's nothing that can be done at this point. People have been given fair warning. Those of us that care will continue to do what we have to do to keep ourselves and loved ones healthy. Those people who don't care about anything but their selfish daily lives will say screw Covid and mandates and go on pretending it's all a hoax. Sadly, there are people who have had Covid and have recovered but still refuse to fully accept what society is facing in regards to the virus. So what more can we do? Nothing. This is America in the year 2020. This is the society we have created for ourselves. Until this country has a bipartisan government with competent, strong leadership, and citizens who want to stop bickering with each other on social media, etc, we are basically f*cked.

8 hours ago, nwohweather said:

I wouldn’t say magical. I just agree with the approach this region has over what the Midwest is doing. Hell I believe even golf courses were closed up there until mid Summer

lol golf courses were open here after the first couple weeks of the pandemic.  which is when they would open for the season anyway

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ikcarsky said:

Because they work.  HCQ looks good when given early, see imageIvermectin looks good even with late treatment.  And your statement is false.

These websites that you link to are full of misinformation with small poorly designed studies using garbage methodology to show clinically meaningless endpoints.

Here's a better source.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mattb65 said:

These websites that you link to are full of misinformation with small poorly designed studies using garbage methodology to show clinically meaningless endpoints.

Here's a better source.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/chloroquine-and-hydroxychloroquine/

Those websites I linked aggregate ALL studies that have been performed to date.  Yes that will include some poorly designed ones, and many observational studies. That knife cuts both ways though -- why would a recognized safe drug like HCQ increase the risk of mortality by a factor of >1.5?  I find that just as hard to believe as the risk multiplier of <0.2 in some of the studies.  Yet take them all together and the distribution starts looking pretty Gaussian and the mean risk factor is 0.7.  Is the potential to free up hospital capacity by 30% not worth the slight chance a patient or two will die of a heart attack?

I'm comparing the meta-analysis of your "better source" with article highlights from c19study.com.  It's proving to be an interesting exercise.  Their assessments of any given study are in agreement, yet the tone and overall conclusion is different: your source clearly states "CQ/HCQ is not worth the risk" whereas the c19study.com website clearly paints the opposite picture.  But the c19study website is more highly powered, so I'm siding with them ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Over 70k cases on a Sunday and five states didn't even report...

Some states don't report on weekends anymore (CT/RI). But Michigan and Nebraska had numbers last Sunday but not today. With those who it would have 74-75k most likely. Last few Sundays have been up ~10k compared to last, so trend has not changed, or even accelerated slightly

Just heard on WGN tv news that Gov. Holcomb is activating the national guard to assist at nursing homes since over half of the deaths have occurred there.  They will not be performing medical duties but will assist with clerical and screening activities to relieve some of the burden on these courageous first responders who have been dealing with the stress of caring for all these months.  Don't know if this is just in selected counties or statewide for nursing homes in Indiana.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Indiana is actually doing worse than Illinois percentage wise

I think we have been doing worse on positivity rate pretty much since this began.  We aren't running as many tests as Illinois even after adjusting for population.  Illinois has run a little under 8 million tests and Indiana has run about 3 million.  Illinois has just under 2x the population.

• Like 1