Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

12 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

When I left St. Agatha this morning at 6:00 am..truck thermometer hit -28F at one point.  Temp was below zero While driving for more than 4 hours as we drove south through Maine. Big time cold up there overnight and this morning. 

We had -22°F in Eustis yesterday morning, Glad i plugged in the diesal.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

This weekend is starting to remind me of a few years back. A brutally cold Valentine’s day amid a sea of warmth. GFS is pushing -20F here at 2m.

Probably should've looked at the euro before posting it. Looks like it backed off a bit although the GFS and Ukie are still brutal.

lol

image.png

those eastern Canadian cold delivery scenarios have been over charted all season -not surprising.The others will probably back off some too in lieu of progressive characteristic of the flow correcting matters, leaving the region with pedestrian nape nip and some hurried walks across parking lot type cold.  

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

We had -22°F in Eustis yesterday morning, Glad i plugged in the diesal.

Yup..that was a Legit airmass for NNE Sat Night/Sunday Morning for sure.   Got a good winter time fix up North this weekend, which takes the edge off the bad season here some.  But as most of the SNE peeps feel, I'm hoping we can score something significant/major before we close the book on Winter 19-20 here.?

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yup..that was a Legit airmass for NNE Sat Night/Sunday Morning for sure.   Got a good winter time fix up North this weekend, which takes the edge off the bad season here some.  But as most of the SNE peeps feel, I'm hoping we can score something significant/major before we close the book on Winter 19-20 here.?

If we get thursday here i may be able to do some local riding but i'm heading back North on the 21st, We were up on the top of Kennebago Mtn on Saturday, Elev 3,750'

image.png.3a86032f948f7ebd6d49937d6b26dc63.png

image.png.83748c68a64ff0d7f65d0e4288385be0.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I know there is likely sarcasm at play here, but I'll go down with the ship on that...don't think we're done.

The pattern seems very locked in.

There's honestly zero changes on the horizon going into late Feb and no I'm not buying whatever crap the 11-15 day GEFS is showing.

I think a big March turnaround is looking more and more unlikely right now. 

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I know there is likely sarcasm at play here, but I'll go down with the ship on that...don't think we're done.

It would be entirely stupid to write off a winter in SNE.  You can pull a bomb to lift a winter out of ratter territory even in April.

It always shocks me how many folks do that and there will be  a widespread 12-24” on March 14th or something.... and all the sudden many folks are 17” higher in their snowfall total and reaching normal snow on the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's honestly zero changes on the horizon going into late Feb and no I'm not buying whatever crap the 11-15 day GEFS is showing.

So the why are you buying what the long range forecasts are showing if you arent buying the gefs ?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It would be entirely stupid to write off a winter in SNE.  You can pull a bomb to lift a winter out of ratter territory even in April.

It always shocks me how many folks do that and there will be  a widespread 12-24” on March 14th or something.... and all the sudden many folks are 17” higher in their snowfall total and reaching normal snow on the season.

For the coast that is true, but it's going to get harder in the interior if we don't start getting some half-decent events in the next 2 weeks. ORH is at 33.3 inches...they will need another 36" or so to get to average.

14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You don't necessarily need a wholesale pattern change to see a significant event...especially as we get into March and the wavelengths shorten. The atmopshere tends to get flipped on its head, so to speak...I'll be suprised if we don't see at least one more good system.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If we get thursday here i may be able to do some local riding but i'm heading back North on the 21st, We were up on the top of Kennebago Mtn on Saturday, Elev 3,750'

image.png.3a86032f948f7ebd6d49937d6b26dc63.png

image.png.83748c68a64ff0d7f65d0e4288385be0.png

Nice pictures Jeff...gorgeous scenary.   Lots of fun on the sleds.  We rode in the big snow on Friday up there..it was getting hairy later in the day busting powder with very low visibility...wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis, and couldn't do a lot of miles, but it was a beautiful scene for sure.   

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Mjo on the euro is still different than the gefs. Gefs takes into 7.

Screenshot_20200210-092902_Chrome.jpg

That looks accurate IMO. Roundy plots have the mjo collapsing on the boarder of 6/7 and then a wave forming in 1/2. Would support a window for something in late February and early March. This was a timeframe that was pointed out by @40/70 Benchmark

Until then rain for us metfan. I’m here to bring you back to our forum. 

CBCD8F6A-8B7D-43D6-828F-520B2FB14F16.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For the coast that is true, but it's going to get harder in the interior if we don't start getting some half-decent events in the next 2 weeks. ORH is at 33.3 inches...they will need another 36" or so to get to average.

Yeah I keep lumping you guys in with HubbDave and some of the others there but they got smoked harder in that big storm in December.  I don’t know why I think ORH is at like 42” on the year.  

I think up here we will be below average too but I still think you can never write off a big bomb in SNE.  It’s your climate, less small events but a higher chance at a biggie.  I just picture everyone totally checked out then you get a big paste bomb this spring.  

One storm can still save the season from a snowfall standpoint, at least getting values more respectably close to climo.  I’ve always been jealous of SNE’s ability to do that....just rip an 18-incher right through the BDL-BOS axis and it changes the tenor quickly.

3 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We’re struggling even to get advisory events right now. It seems like we either KU or rat. 

That's typically how we get crap seasons....we miss a lot of the advisory type events that tend to add up....

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah I keep lumping you guys in with HubbDave and some of the others there but they got smoked harder in that big storm in December.  I don’t know why I think ORH is at like 42” on the year.  

I think up here we will be below average too but I still think you can never write off a big bomb in SNE.  It’s your climate, less small events but a higher chance at a biggie.  I just picture everyone totally checked out then you get a big paste bomb this spring.  

ORH got smoked too but has had very little since then....ORH had over 27 inches in December, but 6 inches since then, lol.

HubbDave did get more in the Dec event...I think he had over 21 or 22 inches. His area also got a few inches on some of these front enders when ORH got like 0.5" or something. So it added up to his area being around 52-53 inches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Might be worth a bit of research into seasonal progression following SNE MECS in December..wonder how many seasons essentially ended, thereafter-

'96-'97 would have been close (early Dec '96 for interior) but then Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 happened. That's really the only example i can think of that came close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

HubbDave did get more in the Dec event...I think he had over 21 or 22 inches. His area also got a few inches on some of these front enders when ORH got like 0.5" or something. So it added up to his area being around 52-53 inches.

Yeah that’s actually a fairly impressive gradient between 1000ft ORH and 1000ft Hubby.  I didn’t know it was that tight.  I sort of lump them together in my head as the ORH Hills.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s actually a fairly impressive gradient between 1000ft ORH and 1000ft Hubby.  I didn’t know it was that tight.  I sort of lump them together in my head as the ORH Hills.

It's pretty rare to have a 20+ inch gradient between the two (especially with still a chunk of climo yet to come)....happened in '07-'08 too but at least that season was above average in both spots....so it was easier to take, haha.