Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4th-7th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Naturally the details are shifting all over the place but a signal for an active week is pretty damn good.

IF tons of Warning headlines for the 11-12th can go up in complete flames, nothing is beyond the reach of this wretched winter. Not to be a buzz-kill, but these models were not up to the "multi-wave test" thrown at them just recently. Who's to say this doesn't end up similarly? :arrowhead:

• Like 1

Just now, IWXwx said:

It's not really fair to add all 384 hr totals of the GFS and promote the idea of "active" based on those clowns, but I get your drift. That 14" over my head turned into 2.3" of reality, a penny at a time.

Also that clown map was contaminated with a lot of freezing rain and sleet.  I will be shocked if it's not active, based on all the signals. 

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Also that clown map was contaminated with a lot of freezing rain and sleet.  I will be shocked if it's not active, based on all the signals. 

The way this winter has been going, I'm not holding my breath. And after you quoted me, I double checked and realized that it was worse than 2.3", it was only 0.5".  I'm happy that you Detroit area guys have scored, but down here has been major suckage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Toro99 said:

I honestly thought posting 384hr snowfall maps and starting threads more than 120 hrs out was banned several years ago. 

My, times have changed. 

In case you missed the map dates, that's not the future, that's back to the future (1/9 to 1/25). I posted it in response to all the hype that certain GFS snow maps are generating as if they can be trusted, lol. Of the (3) big systems included in that time-frame, only the 17-18th was a decent snowstorm and even that one was a slab of mush due to ZR & RN. All others were rainers/mix joke systems. As we witnessed here north of the Mitt border, when cold shows up to play, we get the white gold. Otherwise, it's a no-go for snow. Perhaps this next 3 week stretch the cold does actually show up? If not, more false-flag snow maps from the GFS for my archive. Don't look at today's CPC temps maps for Feb unless you want to be disappointed.

Cold shows up, and we party. Cold fails once again, and we all cry for an early spring.. 

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah, that's what generated those crazy amts and I'm quite sure it's the most snow shown for SMI on one of these LR maps. Back in 2014 we regularly saw GFS (and other) maps showing areas from here west getting 24+ in a 15 day period, but never 45" lol.  Obviously, KLAN didn't end up with half of their 45" this month. In contrast, just about every one of those weenie run maps verified 6 yrs ago this month (and into Feb as well). Let's just hope this final stretch of Met winter delivers something for SMI. 

31.0z Op GFS has a nice look for us

20200201 0z GFS h162 KCH snow.png

• Like 1

We are getting a major change tonight from the UK and Euro.  They are now trying to hold a lot more energy back to the west, so it is able to spin up a better wave that tracks much farther nw.  At the surface an organized "big" storm is not quite there, yet.  Both the UK and Euro drop a few inches of snow through Iowa.

500hv.conus.png

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

^^ Donut hole living. Best Climo!

Seriously tho. A legit chance for a decent snowstorm for many of us, and this thread's dead? :pepsi:

Still too far away for detailed discussion in my book. As I said the other day, I like the active look on the models, but no sense in stressing about details this far out. If anything, props to our sub as one of the most level headed of this forum. Reading some of the other sub forums and their run to run emotions is just over the top.  Get me fresh snow and I'll be happy lol, I don't care how much. I've already had 2 decent storms, a little bit of middle ground would be just fine, so you can bet that if this storm turns in to be a strung out mess but I still get a few inches, I will be happy. Of course, the more the better, but im not the all or nothing type

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

12z GFS is a big step backward.  The northern stream digs a little more again, which grabs the strong western energy and stretches it out and yanks the northern part of it eastward.  We end up with a weak, positively-tilted system.

Sounds like seasonal trends FTW.