Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,972
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    UHF120HzWave
    Newest Member
    UHF120HzWave
    Joined

2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread


Kmlwx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Slight risk today.

From the Mount Holly AFD this morning-

With sufficient CAPE and fairly strong shear expected (30-40 kt 0-6 km bulk wind difference) along with alarmingly high values of storm- relative helicity (150+ J/kg), I am concerned storms will be capable of producing severe wind gusts and possibly a couple of tornadoes. As alluded to, the threat is conditional on the degree of instability that develops, but the tropical nature of the vertical profiles suggests to me that CAPE will need not be that large to promote an environment favorable for organized/rotating storms. SPC maintains a slight risk of severe storms today across the entire region, and this seems reasonable to me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, yoda said:

MRGL risk tomorrow for wind... SLGT risk for Thursday

     FWIW, the NAM nest soundings look way better for Wednesday, both in terms of shear and instability, and the simulated radar isn't bad.    HRRR looks pretty good too, and all of the CAMs suggest storms scattered through the area late Wednesday.     If I wanted to go into weenie mode, I'd note some low-level curvature in the hodographs.....

     Thursday has a better shortwave.     For now, the Thursday soundings in the NAM nest lack instability, but deep-layer shear is there, and the event certainly has potential too.    But I'm intrigued by what I'm seeing for the first event and would suggest that we could get a day 2 SLGT for Wednesday in the early afternoon SPC update.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, high risk said:

To expand on my interest in tomorrow, this is a pretty good look (minus the warm temps around 750 mb and weak winds in the layer just above):

1395806389_ScreenShot2020-09-01at11_11_30AM.thumb.png.245c04b748026ac99b0d91f5abc55ac6.png

i like what i see on the itty bitty radar sim for my back yard

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, high risk said:

     FWIW, the NAM nest soundings look way better for Wednesday, both in terms of shear and instability, and the simulated radar isn't bad.    HRRR looks pretty good too, and all of the CAMs suggest storms scattered through the area late Wednesday.     If I wanted to go into weenie mode, I'd note some low-level curvature in the hodographs.....

     Thursday has a better shortwave.     For now, the Thursday soundings in the NAM nest lack instability, but deep-layer shear is there, and the event certainly has potential too.    But I'm intrigued by what I'm seeing for the first event and would suggest that we could get a day 2 SLGT for Wednesday in the early afternoon SPC update.

 

:lol: I just got back from looking at some of the mesoscale guidance for tomorrow and thought: "Hmm... I bet @high risk made an appearance in the severe thread this morning."

Now we patiently await the day that we are actually put under your namesake AND it verifies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, George BM said:

:lol: I just got back from looking at some of the mesoscale guidance for tomorrow and thought: "Hmm... I bet @high risk made an appearance in the severe thread this morning."

Now we patiently await the day that we are actually put under your namesake AND it verifies. 

      Am I THAT predictable?    B)     

      I can't even imagine what a synoptic setup would look like for an actual high risk here.     If it were to happen, my guess it would be for wind in a derecho event that has incredible predictability.       Derechos here haven't been particularly predictable in the past, but advances in NWP will eventually change that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

      Am I THAT predictable?    B)     

      I can't even imagine what a synoptic setup would look like for an actual high risk here.     If it were to happen, my guess it would be for wind in a derecho event that has incredible predictability.       Derechos here haven't been particularly predictable in the past, but advances in NWP will eventually change that.

I don't think we will ever see a high risk here -- even the derecho in late June that was rampaging through the Ohio Valley the night of the infamous 00z LWX sounding (102/70 I think it was with nearly 6000 SBCAPE) only garnered a moderate risk on the 2000 SPC OTLK and the 0100 OTLK

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

I don't think we will ever see a high risk here -- even the derecho in late June that was rampaging through the Ohio Valley the night of the infamous 00z LWX sounding (102/70 I think it was with nearly 6000 SBCAPE) only garnered a moderate risk on the 2000 SPC OTLK and the 0100 OTLK

I think the Northeast as a whole has seen one total high risk in history. I think it would be more likely for us to see a PDS Severe Thunderstorm Watch than a high risk. But - @high risk has a point. A lot of the outlook is based on predictability. If we have a CLEAR and OBVIOUS case of a massive severe outbreak days out ahead and it holds as we close, there could be a high risk at some point. And who knows what the future of the local climate will hold...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

I don't think we will ever see a high risk here -- even the derecho in late June that was rampaging through the Ohio Valley the night of the infamous 00z LWX sounding (102/70 I think it was with nearly 6000 SBCAPE) only garnered a moderate risk on the 2000 SPC OTLK and the 0100 OTLK

        This would be an awesome discussion over a few beers at an AMS conference.     For the 2012 event, CAM guidance was really limited.    The NAM nest had little handle on this event, and the HRRR had some good runs but was still experimental.     There were real questions about whether the derecho would survive crossing the mountains, and even at 1z, SPC still wasn't totally sure how far east it would maintain strength.      I still envision getting to a point in such an event where there is agreement that an intense derecho will blast through the Ohio Valley and make it to the coast, and SPC will launch the HIGH.      It won't happen right away, but we'll get there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, high risk said:

        This would be an awesome discussion over a few beers at an AMS conference.     For the 2012 event, CAM guidance was really limited.    The NAM nest had little handle on this event, and the HRRR had some good runs but was still experimental.     There were real questions about whether the derecho would survive crossing the mountains, and even at 1z, SPC still wasn't totally sure how far east it would maintain strength.      I still envision getting to a point in such an event where there is agreement that an intense derecho will blast through the Ohio Valley and make it to the coast, and SPC will launch the HIGH.      It won't happen right away, but we'll get there.

It's truly hard to believe that 2012 was already almost a decade ago. 

I agree - I think that had we had a good handle that the complex would maintain intensity as it approached, we could have qualified for a high. The sheer number of reports backs that up. If there was the equivalent of "post season analysis" like they do for hurricanes, that could have been a high risk day IMO. 

I doubt we ever see a TOR based high risk in this area. Although...isn't it more about the number of reports than the intensity of individual events? Say we had a vigorous system (perhaps tropical in nature or hybrid) and it was clear that while there wouldn't be EF-5 stuff...we'd get a large amount of EF-0 to EF-2 and it was high confidence - would that be enough to trigger a high hypothetically? I doubt SPC would ever do that for a tropical system, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing you have to remember - even with high confidence...the higher the outlook the higher the "egg on face" potential for SPC. There's already the old saying that meteorologists are always wrong...very few SPC forecasters would have the stomach to call a high risk for the nation's capital unless it was absolutely necessary. 

It's one thing to call a high where the local population understands what the risk categories mean and are familiar with severe weather. DC tends to have a "panic mode" inherently built into the population (just look at 495 with a half inch of snow). Can you imagine what a high risk would do to lay people around here? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The other thing you have to remember - even with high confidence...the higher the outlook the higher the "egg on face" potential for SPC. There's already the old saying that meteorologists are always wrong...very few SPC forecasters would have the stomach to call a high risk for the nation's capital unless it was absolutely necessary. 

It's one thing to call a high where the local population understands what the risk categories mean and are familiar with severe weather. DC tends to have a "panic mode" inherently built into the population (just look at 495 with a half inch of snow). Can you imagine what a high risk would do to lay people around here? 

True.  You could only go high risk here if the event was unfolding with as you say numerous tornadoes (EF2 or something) or a derecho coming in from the west.

The derecho in 2012 however, caught the region, including local TV mets off-guard per the NWS report though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

It's truly hard to believe that 2012 was already almost a decade ago. 

I agree - I think that had we had a good handle that the complex would maintain intensity as it approached, we could have qualified for a high. The sheer number of reports backs that up. If there was the equivalent of "post season analysis" like they do for hurricanes, that could have been a high risk day IMO. 

I doubt we ever see a TOR based high risk in this area. Although...isn't it more about the number of reports than the intensity of individual events? Say we had a vigorous system (perhaps tropical in nature or hybrid) and it was clear that while there wouldn't be EF-5 stuff...we'd get a large amount of EF-0 to EF-2 and it was high confidence - would that be enough to trigger a high hypothetically? I doubt SPC would ever do that for a tropical system, though. 

you're telling me. I was preggo with mini-map at the time, and she starts second grade next week :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I doubt we ever see a TOR based high risk in this area. Although...isn't it more about the number of reports than the intensity of individual events? Say we had a vigorous system (perhaps tropical in nature or hybrid) and it was clear that while there wouldn't be EF-5 stuff...we'd get a large amount of EF-0 to EF-2 and it was high confidence - would that be enough to trigger a high hypothetically? I doubt SPC would ever do that for a tropical system, though. 

    It would be a once-in-a-lifetime event, but if it can happen in upstate NY and in central NC.....      May 31, 1985 showed that outbreaks with high-end events CAN happen in the east.

   I envision a deepening 980 sfc low over NW PA during an afternoon, with intense wind fields at all levels and all CAMs showing discrete convection and strong, long-track UH signals over the Mid-Atlantic.   Of course, in an intense synoptic setup, we usually screw it up with either early morning crapvection.....

   A HIGH here would never happen for a TC remnant event.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MRGL remains for Day 2 on 1730 SPC OTLK... but talks of an upgrade

Day 2 Convective Outlook  
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1226 PM CDT Tue Sep 01 2020

   Valid 021200Z - 031200Z

   ...THERE IS A MARGINAL RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PARTS OF
   THE NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC INTO THE OHIO VALLEY/MID-SOUTH...

   ...SUMMARY...
   Isolated strong to severe thunderstorms may occur Wednesday from
   parts of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic into the Ohio Valley/Mid-South.

   ...Northeast into the Mid-Atlantic...
   An upper trough over Ontario/Quebec and the Great Lakes is forecast
   to develop across the Northeast and Quebec on Wednesday. The
   strongest mid-level flow should remain confined to parts of northern
   NY and New England, although modestly enhanced winds (around 30-35
   kt) at mid levels will likely extend as far south as the
   Mid-Atlantic. At the surface, a weak low initially over southern
   Ontario should develop northeastward through the day, with a
   trailing cold front moving southeastward across the Northeast and
   Mid-Atlantic. A warm front is also forecast to lift northward across
   parts of these regions through Wednesday evening.

   Poor mid-level lapse rates will be present across the warm sector,
   which should temper updraft strength to some degree through much of
   the day. Still, 500-1000 J/kg of MLCAPE should develop ahead of the
   cold front across parts of PA/NY into far western New England owing
   to diurnal heating of an increasingly moist low-level airmass.
   Greater instability (1500-2000 J/kg of MLCAPE) may be realized
   across parts of the Mid-Atlantic to the east of the Blue Ridge
   Mountains, where rich low-level moisture should be present and
   stronger diurnal heating will likely occur. Around 30-40 kt of
   effective bulk shear should act to organize storms as they form
   along/ahead of the cold front, and along a lee trough extending
   southward near/east of the Appalachians. A mix of multicells and
   marginal supercell structures will be possible.

   Isolated strong/gusty downdraft winds capable of producing some
   damage may occur as storms move eastward through early Wednesday
   evening given the enhanced mid-level flow. A tornado or two also
   appears possible with any of the more discrete storms, as low-level
   winds should be strong enough to support 100-150 m2/s2 of 0-1 km
   SRH. An upgrade to Slight Risk may be needed for parts of the
   Mid-Atlantic if current model trends continue, but confidence in
   overall storm coverage/intensity was not high enough to introduce
   greater severe probabilities just yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

The other thing you have to remember - even with high confidence...the higher the outlook the higher the "egg on face" potential for SPC. There's already the old saying that meteorologists are always wrong...very few SPC forecasters would have the stomach to call a high risk for the nation's capital unless it was absolutely necessary. 

It's one thing to call a high where the local population understands what the risk categories mean and are familiar with severe weather. DC tends to have a "panic mode" inherently built into the population (just look at 495 with a half inch of snow). Can you imagine what a high risk would do to lay people around here? 

 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

True.  You could only go high risk here if the event was unfolding with as you say numerous tornadoes (EF2 or something) or a derecho coming in from the west.

The derecho in 2012 however, caught the region, including local TV mets off-guard per the NWS report though.

All good points. Some could argue that Ivan in 2004 warranted a high risk for the area...there was something like 40 confirmed tornadoes from that event and it's highly unusual to have that number in this area. Heck, we get DY1 MOD Risk that "verifies" with like 7 EF-0 tornadoes. During Ivan, there was 29 F0/1, 10 F2, 1 F3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, yoda said:

MRGL remains for Day 2 on 1730 SPC OTLK... but talks of an upgrade

 

 

              Yeah, I really thought they should have pulled the trigger, but it's not a big deal if they wait.     SPC mentions questions about coverage/intensity; I thought that the most of the entire suite of 12z CAMs looked good with those aspects, but they clearly want to see if the trends in the guidance hold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

 

All good points. Some could argue that Ivan in 2004 warranted a high risk for the area...there was something like 40 confirmed tornadoes from that event and it's highly unusual to have that number in this area. Heck, we get DY1 MOD Risk that "verifies" with like 7 EF-0 tornadoes. During Ivan, there was 29 F0/1, 10 F2, 1 F3.

I sort of alluded to that earlier. I feel like that would have been a no brainer high risk day if it had not been a tropical system. I don't think they go above slight if it is related to tropical or tropical remnants. That's definitely something that maybe should be discussed.

I get that the scale is supposed to denote the severity level - but the nature of categorical probs also is that COVERAGE and number of occurrences (regardless of intensity/magnitude) also go into the scale. 40 tornadoes should be a high even if they are all EF-0s...

We could get into the whole terminology debate too. I like that local mets have switched to saying "it's a 1 out of 5" on the scale for today. Rather than using the terms like "slight" - I've always been of the opinion that slight/mod/high is the wrong term set for the general public. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "we are due" index is pretty high in several areas specifically:
1.) Derecho 
2.) Tropical system/remnants
3.) EF-2 or greater tornado
4.) Large scale river flooding event
 
Sooner or later the pendelum is going to swing back on us. 

Just curious. This was posted Jan 20. It’s now September 1. How did we do? Looks like we hit number 2 and number 3. Not number 1. Jury still out on 4? 2020 not done yet.


.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SPC doesn't like today for us... but tomorrow... woah at the disco... here is the morning Day 2

   ...Central Appalachians into the Mid-Atlantic states...
   Model guidance continues to show a lower-latitude disturbance moving
   from the upper TN Valley east-northeastward into the Mid-Atlantic
   states by late afternoon.  With a very moist airmass located from
   KY/TN northeastward into PA/NJ south of the stalled front, showers
   and thunderstorms may be ongoing early Thursday morning across KY. 
   Cloud breaks ahead of this convection will lead to weak/moderate
   destabilization despite relatively warm 500 mb temperatures and
   modest mid-level lapse rates.  Scattered thunderstorm development
   will likely occur over the central Appalachians during the midday
   before spreading downstream towards the I-95 corridor during the
   afternoon/early evening.  In tandem with the diurnal storm
   development, flow fields within the 700-500 mb layer will strengthen
   during the day (30-40 kt at 700 mb increasing to 40-50 kt at 500 mb)
   and elongate hodographs.  A mixed mode of strong to severe
   clusters/linear segments plus supercells is likely.  Scattered
   damaging gusts and a few tornadoes are possible.  The tornado risk
   will continue to be re-evaluated at later outlooks but the potential
   for several supercells appears greatest in the MD/northern VA
   vicinity during the afternoon.  This activity will likely weaken
   during the evening as it moves towards the coast but some risk may
   continue well after dark.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...