Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

If this storm ends up being a rainer, nothing can save this winter. I'd punt it. That's just ridiculous. 

LMAO, you haven't changed one bit.

You know we're at ~22" for the season, which either at or slightly above normal?

Going to Aruba tomorrow for a week; :sun: enjoy this nonsense.  :raining: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

LMAO, you haven't changed one bit.

You know we're at ~22" for the season, which either at or slightly above normal?

Going to Aruba tomorrow for a week; :sun: enjoy this nonsense.  :raining: 

Haha. More than half that came from Nov and the Dec 2nd event. It's been pretty uneventful since. Anyways, good to have you back.

Enjoy your vacation! Aruba is on my list too. :D

The assumptions being made when there's still so little we know about the key mid-level features. Amped/NW of course is on the table, but then we have the 12z operational GFS to demonstrate how that northern stream wave could still suppress height fields and compress the flow enough to keep the southern wave farther southeast. We won't have higher confidence on the track and strength of the southern wave itself yet either for a few days.

The GEFS has tended to be more amped than the operational, which we'll see shortly if that continues with the 12z. The EPS mean has been pretty close to the op, but that's with a member spread has left room for the amped/northwest track, weaker/southeast and in between. The 06z members had several that were quite similar to the 00z operational snow swath. For the Chicago area, I think a mostly rain miss NW, a good snow (maybe front end ice Friday night for parts) and a miss southeast with the main wave are all still plausible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is our standard "omg the spread" phase incoming after a day or so of some quote unquote consistency? ;)

One thing is for certain, I am continuously impressed by the atmospheric river that this system will be drawing. Pretty eye-popping in terms of both QPF totals and regional reach! The possibility of a flooding aspect in the OH Valley should not be overlooked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

The assumptions being made when there's still so little we know about the key mid-level features. Amped/NW of course is on the table, but then we have the 12z operational GFS to demonstrate how that northern stream wave could still suppress height fields and compress the flow enough to keep the southern wave farther southeast. We won't have higher confidence on the track and strength of the southern wave itself yet either for a few days.

The GEFS has tended to be more amped than the operational, which we'll see shortly if that continues with the 12z. The EPS mean has been pretty close to the op, but that's with a member spread has left room for the amped/northwest track, weaker/southeast and in between. The 06z members had several that were quite similar to the 00z operational snow swath. For the Chicago area, I think a mostly rain miss NW, a good snow (maybe front end ice Friday night for parts) and a miss southeast with the main wave are all still plausible.

The voice of reason.

Nothing off the table but it would take a pretty bad luck evolution for the LOT cwa to miss out on impactful snow/ice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Ahh see I was always taught that was a Great Lakes Runner, similar to the App Runner just farther west. Then you have your Panhandle Hooks, Miller B and Alberta Clipper

Been around doing this for a while now, and have never heard of lakes runner.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Yes it is.

Tracks from the MS Delta, to Terre Haute, to near GRR.

Somebody was arguing that a cutter is something that goes more west-east... can't remember if it was nwohweather or someone else.  But that is definitely not the typical way it is thought of, even by people outside the region.  For instance, the New England crowd would call something going to the Lakes a cutter.  

5 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Ahh see I was always taught that was a Great Lakes Runner, similar to the App Runner just farther west. Then you have your Panhandle Hooks, Miller B and Alberta Clipper

I think any system that gains as much latitude as longitude as it heads east could be called a "cutter". Geographic location is irrelevant (unless you are SE of the track, ofc)

• Like 1