• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room

NorEastermass128

The legendary Halloween 2019 cold dump in the West, +3.5 months is starting to show up in non-bs range modeling. Pattern change starts after that, ala November 2019. Got to 21F at my place on Halloween morning - record cold. Should be about a 20-25 day window for the NE, for 2/20 to 3/10 or something. Heat begins to build rapidly after that, like mid-Dec to mid-Jan. Cold today was impressive out here too - 39th coldest day in February in 100 years (2,825 days). One difference from last year is that the severity of the cold isn't the same in Billings or other spots near Canada. Billings had it's second coldest month in ~90 years last February, with 10 days that were 30-40 degrees below average in a 28 day month.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, raindancewx said:

The legendary Halloween 2019 cold dump in the West, +3.5 months is starting to show up in non-bs range modeling. Pattern change starts after that, ala November 2019. Got to 21F at my place on Halloween morning - record cold. Should be about a 20-25 day window for the NE, for 2/20 to 3/10 or something. Heat begins to build rapidly after that, like mid-Dec to mid-Jan. Cold today was impressive out here too - 39th coldest day in February in 100 years (2,825 days). One difference from last year is that the severity of the cold isn't the same in Billings or other spots near Canada. Billings had it's second coldest month in ~90 years last February, with 10 days that were 30-40 degrees below average in a 28 day month.

Your 2/20 to 3/10 window for coastal storms aligns well with the 2/17 to 3/2 period that I picked in November. I need about 30" to hit my range, which is very doable.

Hope we're right-

Looking at the Northeast records, it actually is pretty rare to get four snowy Marches in a row. 

Boston-NYC-Philly look like they were above normal in March 2017, 2018, 2019. So you'd have to bet against it for 2020. 

Will be interesting to see how that plays out, since the NAO indicator does still support a somewhat -NAO for March.

56 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Looking at the Northeast records, it actually is pretty rare to get four snowy Marches in a row. 

Boston-NYC-Philly look like they were above normal in March 2017, 2018, 2019. So you'd have to bet against it for 2020. 

Will be interesting to see how that plays out, since the NAO indicator does still support a somewhat -NAO for March.

It doesn't have to mean a ton of snow....especially if its only marginally negative. Take a look at March 2006...

This is all roughly in my (nearly complete) Spring forecast...but - 

The basic idea for me for March is that it should loosely resemble the mid-Nov to mid-Dec period. So starts out cold in the East, then warms up. I've been using 3.5 months (~107 days) as the estimate for this, but lately it's been more like 102 days.

There are fairly strong indications for March that warmth will return to the West, but I think the subtropical jet will be shifted into the SW (NM/AZ) at times too, with a lot of moisture. Not every month here gets precipitation, but every time October is wetter than September, it has rained/snowed the following March (37/37) - we had that last year, and this year. September long-term is a much wetter month here than October - so it's a useful indicator, and statistically significant (far more likely to get heavy precipitation in March if Oct>Sept).

MrUEqYC.png

~Nov 16-Dec 15 is the March idea. An analog blend that looks similar to that nationally is March 1954, 2004, 2005. We had roughly 3.5x normal precipitation in that period - so the systems that come through should be somewhat different than in recent months if that repeats. See the resemblance? That pattern of dryness from TX to Detroit in December is actually pretty hard to re-create with similar ocean/solar conditions.

ZOQKTH5.png

For the West, a big -NAO in October like 2019 is a warm signal for the West. A big +AO in Jan/Feb is also a pretty strong warm signal for the SW in March. All that being said, Nino 3.4 not cooling during Spring when it is warm is more like a weakening La Nina than an weakening El Nino, and is similar to last year. So that favors cold shots eventually pushing out the Western warmth later in Spring. I'm still toying with it, but I think April might be incredibly warm nationally, despite the correlations shown below, I'm talking like 2/3 of the lower 48, at +4 to +8 or something. January/April usually have common tendencies nationally, and January is the most different period of the Oct-Feb cold season so far, no all-time record cold for the North this year in H2 January.

yt9P2Yg.png

g4EzNGC.jpg

At a lead time of a year, Nino 3.4, which was 9th warmest since 1950 last March, is also a pretty strong cold signal for the Northeast, and the deepest blue area shows up as cold in my blend for March. You can also see the hints of dryness across the South.

70WBEMc.png

37uTlxZ.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 512high said:

This just wasn't the winter we hoped for, no control over it, as they say, there is always next year(I hope)

Patterns have been so consistent I think you would have a good shot at nailing the forecast for next winter using this winter and last as the analogs. Obviously not what we want. 

• Like 1