Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Here's something for @snow88 and other NYC dwellers

"What if we told you that January 2020 had more than double the amount of snow that January 2019 had in Central Park?"

Jan 2019: 1.1"

Jan 2020: 2.3"

209% more snow than last Jan. LOL.

What if I told you that I'm starting  to hate winter.

2 hours ago, raindancewx said:

I'm aware of the sensor thing you guys talk about. My thing is, Massachusetts looks warmer inland anyway, so I don't think it matters much, except for where the core of the heat has been in the Northeast? I use Boston as regional proxy.

FnOKjKZ.png

BOS is +9.4 but the map shows them in the +6 to +8 range. So it seems the map is ignoring them. 

Bot sure where that little patch inland is coming from. Maybe some coops...not sure. First order sites aren’t that warm. 

It has definitely been a furnace month but the BOS numbers are also definitely off. Both are true...

BOS +9.4

ORH +7.1

PVD +7.1

BDL +7.4

MQE +6.9

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS is +9.4 but the map shows them in the +6 to +8 range. So it seems the map is ignoring them. 

Bot sure where that little patch inland is coming from. Maybe some coops...not sure. First order sites aren’t that warm. 

It has definitely been a furnace month but the BOS numbers are also definitely off. Both are true...

BOS +9.4

ORH +7.1

PVD +7.1

BDL +7.4

MQE +6.9

it looks like there is a little dot of darker red over bos for 8-10 to me

39 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Fail

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathers-2019-2020-us-winter-forecast/592125

They said Boston and NYC were going to have above average snowfall. 

Alot of people thought the same.

OK, I NEVER come into threads like this.. but I just had to look.  I'm assuming you are fairly young because of comments like this. One thing I've learned since watching the weather as a hobby since 1978 in SNE area is you never, never, never look at a long range forecast especially Winter and take it to heart in any way, shape or form. I mean it's nice to look at possible seasonal trends but forecast a whole season.. forget it! If you think the past couple years are bad, you should see what we went through around here from like 1982 through 1991. Let's just hope we're not starting another decade like that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Fail

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathers-2019-2020-us-winter-forecast/592125

They said Boston and NYC were going to have above average snowfall. 

Alot of people thought the same.

Bet you didn't take a look at Brett Anderson's forecast for Canada a little latter down the road: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathers-2019-2020-canada-winter-forecast/600647

The US forecast for us is a forerunner where the Canadian forecast is a correlation to the pattern that is expected to happen.  And any person who actually read the Canadian prediction say in Boston and saw the tag line rain and ice for Halifax and St. John should have been red flags for anyone in Boston, Portland, and New York under a chronic SW air flow.   But as we can see even this forecast is a bust for the people in southern Ontario.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t surprise me if this pattern persists for the long haul. The pacific is big heater and it needs to cool off, and I don’t know what mechanism would do that anytime soon.  I think that little snowy epoch we had for about 15 years blew itself out finally.  It’s the mid west’s turn in the barrel.

8 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if this pattern persists for the long haul. The pacific is big heater and it needs to cool off, and I don’t know what mechanism would do that anytime soon.  I think that little snowy epoch we had for about 15 years blew itself out finally.  It’s the mid west’s turn in the barrel.

15 years?  It was longer than that.  Growing up in the 70s and 80s there was a market change after 1992 so that's almost 30 years.  We had winters like this year after year for decades before that save for a few great years/storms. 

People here sound like spoiled brats throwing temper tantrums because they don't like the weather.  My worst winter was 2002 when my largest "storm" left 3" of snow.  It still remains my mildest winter as well.  The funny thing was that in late April we had a heat wave but a few weeks later in May it snowed.  That remained my latest snow for years and that was my lousiest winter.  So special things can happen even in the crappiest of winter.

14 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

15 years?  It was longer than that.  Growing up in the 70s and 80s there was a market change after 1992 so that's almost 30 years.  We had winters like this year after year for decades before that save for a few great years/storms. 

People here sound like spoiled brats throwing temper tantrums because they don't like the weather.  My worst winter was 2002 when my largest "storm" left 3" of snow.  It still remains my mildest winter as well.  The funny thing was that in late April we had a heat wave but a few weeks later in May it snowed.  That remained my latest snow for years and that was my lousiest winter.  So special things can happen even in the crappiest of winter.

You can tell people about the 1979-1992 stretch (with a special highlight on 1988-1992) and they won't really believe you unless they experienced it. It goes in one ear and out the other.

If they remember 1997-1999 then they might have gotten a little preview...that was kind of cruddy stretch...esp down in CT ad towards NYC.

I think what I get a kick out of the most these days though is how often people "cancel" winter or throw in the towel in January....you would have thought they learned from 2013 or 2015 but I guess not. Logic or reason never got in the way of a good temper tantrum, lol. Maybe this year they will be right...but when you do it every time, it kind of loses its meaning. Kind of like how JB never missed a KU, right? If you forecast a KU all the time, you can always claim you forecasted it when a real one hits.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I could go with 93 to 2015.  My first storm memory was 77. The next one is 93. Lol.  

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You can tell people about the 1979-1992 stretch (with a special highlight on 1988-1992) and they won't really believe you unless they experienced it. It goes in one ear and out the other.

If they remember 1997-1999 then they might have gotten a little preview...that was kind of cruddy stretch...esp down in CT ad towards NYC.

I think what I get a kick out of the most these days though is how often people "cancel" winter or throw in the towel in January....you would have thought they learned from 2013 or 2015 but I guess not. Logic or reason never got in the way of a good temper tantrum, lol. Maybe this year they will be right...but when you do it every time, it kind of loses its meaning. Kind of like how JB never missed a KU, right? If you forecast a KU all the time, you can always claim you forecasted it when a real one hits.

Too much to fix this year, I think the cancel calls are justified this year...of course central and northern NE have better chances due to latitude but for the bulk of CT/RI/MA it's over.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

most people don't care if it snows after mid-late February, "winter" or not. It's onto warm season things. Winter cancel can be applied this year since the portion of winter anyone cared about is toast

weirdly i mostly agree, but I would say that by the time I'm seeing sunsets post 6pm I'm done.. i.e March 8th

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was born in late '68 so I really didn't know any other kind of winter.  Half the reason I wanted to go to Lyndon was to experience a "real" winter..lol.

We live in a "cancel" culture these days and it's funny how people just want to say that word as if these months don't exist or acknowledge that it's just a different type of winter.  

I'm just seeing what will come for the rest of the season and hope that I can eek out a decent maple season.  As it is I should have probably tapped by now...

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

This winter could go down as #2 all-time behind 01-02 if we don't receive any more snow or minimal snow. Still have plenty of time to go though so well see.

At least something to rooooot! for.

That's a pretty bold claim considering the age of the planet.  How about "on record"?

There's an index called the Winter Severity Index which factors in temperatures, snowfall, snow depth etc.  What's nice about it is that you can compare one stations "severity" vs. another and previous years.  This year for me is already ahead of 2002's 250 points with 353 points and it's only the end of January.  1991 is next at 363 points.  I only need 521 points to break out of the top 10.

You can see how stations are doing here:

https://mrcc.illinois.edu/research/awssi/indexAwssi.jsp

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

That's a pretty bold claim considering the age of the planet.  How about "on record"?

There's an index called the Winter Severity Index which factors in temperatures, snowfall, snow depth etc.  What's nice about it is that you can compare one stations "severity" vs. another and previous years.  This year for me is already ahead of 2002's 250 points with 353 points and it's only the end of January.  1991 is next at 363 points.  I only need 521 points to break out of the top 10.

You can see how stations are doing here:

https://mrcc.illinois.edu/research/awssi/indexAwssi.jsp

seriously? 

I think that goes without saying it explicitly. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

seriously? 

I think that goes without saying it explicitly. 

Ha. How dare you.

You do realize that in the Renaissance the globe was so warm they were able to grow grapes in England without issue.

Our winters were probably full of perfect beach going days.

Dont get me started on 1,000,000 BC.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

most people don't care if it snows after mid-late February, "winter" or not. It's onto warm season things. Winter cancel can be applied this year since the portion of winter anyone cared about is toast

"warm season things" and the months of March and April do not go all that well together. And by warm season things do you mean leaving your basement for 10 minutes???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1