Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix - Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol..you mean SW to NE?   Just like two weeks ago to me...an hour or two of snow..then ice. Still snow here but radar looks like trash upstream, big hole coming and all shredded. 

No. i meant NW to SE, i see why you asked me though. I was referring to the orientation of the line, not the direction it was travelling.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

How’s the icing down there?

Great call on going for a coating for many. I got cooked on snowfall even as I hedged lower for northern CT because of how quickly the flip usually happens. :axe: 

Yea i think my snowfall and ice map will actually be pretty good. C-2 was right on, probably should have been C-1 though. 

I haven't gone outside and measured it but it looks pretty bad, id say probably a 1/4 so far. Going off ASOS MMK and HVN its probably around there.

13 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

100%. Never again do we mention tornadoes in a winter storm thread, in the New England Sub Forum. All in favor say...

Thanksgiving 2005 says hi, from midcoast Maine.  GYX confirmed EF0 and EF1 spinners there during an advisory-level snowstorm.  I had no idea such a phenomenon was possible.

Echoes overhead in Augusta, dry air not yet defeated.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah. Not sure anyone would have gone C-1 statewide so late in the evening though after the earlier trends in the day toward a good front end. Whiplash.

My snow forecast will go down but I think the icing piece will save me a bit. I communicated more on that being the main show rather than the snow that never arrived. 

I did as well, people always focus on the snow amounts. And C-2 is a joke, i said dont worry about that its all about the ICE.

• Like 1

left concord center (north of rt.2) at 9:15 with moderate snow - probably 2-3" on ground - car said 23 and felt cold. Around Sudbury Center (rt 20/27) area there seemed to be a change in the character of snow, maybe a bit more ping. Just north of Saxonville Village (Framingham) - heavy, big flakes, 5 minutes later just south of the masspike on rt. 30, freezing rain, didn't feel as cold getting out of car. a couple of weeks ago had a quick discussion that this is very usual.

• Like 1