• Member Statistics

    15,884
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    bvmcode
    Newest Member
    bvmcode
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
wdrag

Dec 16-17, 2019 snow-sleet glaze OBSERVATIONS ONLY

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Plenty of icing out here.  Trees are laying on power lines in many areas due to the ice.  Strange thing in my local area the roads have not been affected.  Icing events are fairly common here in any case and this one falls within the range of other recent events.  Accretion here looks to be about 0.15”.  Temperature is at 32.  Local schools are open.  Districts in some rural areas have delayed openings or are closed.

All the schools around here are delayed, hills and secondary roads were a mess earlier but all seem ok now. Trees are hanging lower but thankfully a certain someone managed to bust yet again and my power lines are fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Plenty of icing out here.  Trees are laying on power lines in many areas due to the ice.  Strange thing in my local area the roads have not been affected.  Icing events are fairly common here in any case and this one falls within the range of other recent events.  Accretion here looks to be about 0.15”.  Temperature is at 32.  Local schools are open.  Districts in some rural areas have delayed openings or are closed.

From my experience with icing here on Long Island. The most memorable events occur with temperatures in the 20’s. We get more rainfall runoff especially with faster rates in the low 30’s.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluewave said:

From my experience with icing here on Long Island. The most memorable events occur with temperatures in the 20’s. We get more rainfall runoff especially with faster rates in the low 30’s.

 

 

 

Was pretty icy here at 6 am. Lots of ice accretion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This storm bust for alot of areas

Ant - that depends on how you define a bust.  It’s true that there was no snow in the region but anyone who followed the models knew that this was not likely to produce much if any snow anyways.  We all know that with this type of pattern the mid levels tend to torch fairly quickly and this does not appear to have been any different.  Where it overperformed was the strength of the low level cold air advection along the coast.  Freezing rain was reported at the NWS reporting stations on LI during much of the night.  This included along many parts of the south shore especially in Suffolk.  I have a station out on Fire Island and the wind direction sensor was stuck between 2am and 6 am.  If I am correct then that means that rain was freezing on some surfaces even out there during that time period.  Temperatures during that period were at or near freezing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BxEngine said:

All the schools around here are delayed, hills and secondary roads were a mess earlier but all seem ok now. Trees are hanging lower but thankfully a certain someone managed to bust twice for one storm and my power lines are fine.

schools closed here for wet roads....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Was pretty icy here at 6 am. Lots of ice accretion 

But nothing as significant as our big events like Jan 94 when temps were in the 20’s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluewave said:

But nothing as significant as our big events like Jan 94 when temps were in the 20’s.

In January of ‘78 the temperature hovered around 28 with a low level flow coming from the north.  This drained cold air down the Hudson Valley from Upstate NY.  Rainfall rates were quite heavy resulting in tremendous icing on the north shore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

In January of ‘78 the temperature hovered around 28 with a low level flow coming from the north.  This drained cold air down the Hudson Valley from Upstate NY.  Rainfall rates were quite heavy resulting in tremendous icing on the north shore.

I remember that one. It was the most significant ice storm on Long Island until January 1994.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Ant - that depends on how you define a bust.  It’s true that there was no snow in the region but anyone who followed the models knew that this was not likely to produce much if any snow anyways.  We all know that with this type of pattern the mid levels tend to torch fairly quickly and this does not appear to have been any different.  Where it overperformed was the strength of the low level cold air advection along the coast.  Freezing rain was reported at the NWS reporting stations on LI during much of the night.  This included along many parts of the south shore especially in Suffolk.  I have a station out on Fire Island and the wind direction sensor was stuck between 2am and 6 am.  If I am correct then that means that rain was freezing on some surfaces even out there during that time period.  Temperatures during that period were at or near freezing. 

Bust for me. I am under a WWA for 3-6” of snow and ended up with 1/4” of snow. Just sleet here now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a slight amount of sleet mixed in with drizzle yesterday afternoon around 2 PM.  After that, it was all plain rain in central Union county NJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

But nothing as significant as our big events like Jan 94 when temps were in the 20’s.

Nobody is saying this was a severe ice storm. But we had some nice accretion. Even now the trees and lines are still glistening. Temp only 32.9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

Bust for me. I am under a WWA for 3-6” of snow and ended up with 1/4” of snow. Just sleet here now. 

There was a wwa for 3-6” in southern westchester? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nobody is saying this was a severe ice storm. But we had some nice accretion. Even now the trees and lines are still glistening. Temp only 32.9

That’s all you need for minor ice accretion. My last significant events were Valentine’s Day 07 and 2-2-11. But Jan 94 and 78 are  still the benchmark ice storms for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nobody is saying this was a severe ice storm. But we had some nice accretion. Even now the trees and lines are still glistening. Temp only 32.9

Had the same thing in wantagh surprisingly. Temp held at 31.8 for hours. Even cars were completely iced over. Makes sense for you up there but it was completely unexpected on the south shore  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Had the same thing in wantagh surprisingly. Temp held at 31.8 for hours. Even cars were completely iced over. Makes sense for you up there but it was completely unexpected on the south shore  

All of the models had ZR for the island, nobody believed them, myself and the NWS included.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short term model bust here. Usually things trend colder as the event is unfolding but the opposite occurred. I knew we were in trouble last night when things started off as a sleet/snow mix rather that just snow. Within an hour I was completely over to sleet. Ice accretion here was around 0.10" on normal surfaces and about 2-3 times that amount on cold surfaces such as cars and railings. Luckily we seem to have avoided a much bigger problem as temperatures were a couple of degrees warmer than forecasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Short term model bust here. Usually things trend colder as the event is unfolding but the opposite occurred. I knew we were in trouble last night when things started off as a sleet/snow mix rather that just snow. Within an hour I was completely over to sleet. Ice accretion here was around 0.10" on normal surfaces and about 2-3 times that amount on cold surfaces such as cars and railings. Luckily we seem to have avoided a much bigger problem as temperatures were a couple of degrees warmer than forecasted.

Interesting that temps busted high for you, and low out here. Would love to better understand how that occurred 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I don’t think I ever hit freezing. I think we got to 33 

 

most icing was on north shore? 

Some portions of the South Shore got into the icing. Looks like the winds verified a bit more NE than forecast. Most models yesterday had more ENE.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WestBabylonWeather said:

I see

 

we had moderate sleet and a coating for some time in babylon

Yeah, we were right on the line between 32 and 33 degrees here. Less than a degree made the difference between some icing and none. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

Ant - that depends on how you define a bust.  It’s true that there was no snow in the region but anyone who followed the models knew that this was not likely to produce much if any snow anyways.  We all know that with this type of pattern the mid levels tend to torch fairly quickly and this does not appear to have been any different.  Where it overperformed was the strength of the low level cold air advection along the coast.  Freezing rain was reported at the NWS reporting stations on LI during much of the night.  This included along many parts of the south shore especially in Suffolk.  I have a station out on Fire Island and the wind direction sensor was stuck between 2am and 6 am.  If I am correct then that means that rain was freezing on some surfaces even out there during that time period.  Temperatures during that period were at or near freezing. 

The anemometer on my weather station just thawed out and started working. It was the last thing to thaw out, trees lost their ice about an hour or two ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.