Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Still thinking it'll be a 6-10" storm away from immediate coast. 

Front end could surprise as models always underestimate surface cold. 

Yeah front end could be very icy.  I highly doubt at the moment outside of far northern suburbs there’s any appreciable snow on that front end 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

It may start as snow if the initial dynamics are strong enough. I'm not saying it's going to be anything like November 2018 but I also wouldn't completely write off that first burst as nothing.  

November 2018 had a much colder and drier airmass in place to start, there was also extremely strong lifting and dynamics in the DGZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

November 2018 had a much colder and drier airmass in place to start, there was also extremely strong lifting and dynamics in the DGZ

I think Nov 2012 is a better comparison. My thought is that heavy deform banding will set up as the secondary low slowly pulls away and intensifies. 

Temps will easily be cold enough to support snow. 

Ice/sleet will be a threat on the front end. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It was also a classic due north mover.   Any overrunning event that approaches from the south tends to be badly under modeled here at the coast for two reasons.  Usually there is intense banding features due to the iso lift and the cold air locks in better as the gradient flow holds 040-060 for a long time.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It was also a classic due north mover.   Any overrunning event that approaches from the south tends to be badly under modeled here at the coast for two reasons.  Usually there is intense banding features due to the iso lift and the cold air locks in better as the gradient flow holds 040-060 for a long time.   

Yea I'm not saying it will be anything like that event,  all I was saying was I wouldn't write off picking up a quick inch or two especially for Northern parts of the city/North Shore of LI, some models are hinting at precip coming in like a wall

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think Nov 2012 is a better comparison. My thought is that heavy deform banding will set up as the secondary low slowly pulls away and intensifies. 

Temps will easily be cold enough to support snow. 

Ice/sleet will be a threat on the front end. 

It will depend on how far north the secondary gets going. The models minus only the NAM are moving it further north and west since last night

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

It will depend on how far north the secondary gets going. The models minus only the NAM are moving it further north and west since last night

I generally assume in a pattern with a block that the goal posts will move less inside 72-96 than they otherwise will.  This thing may ultimately just have model noise the rest of the way.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

In this case what is the ideal scenario in terms of where want the secondary to get going and be at it's strongest, honestly the secondary has me a bit confused in this particular setup

56 minutes ago, psv88 said:

But northern half of LI should do ok. 

It's been a consistent message across much of the modeling that however much falls, this is depicted locally as a north shore jackpot.  The LI Sound water temps are in the 40s which isn't that big a deal.  Early season snows with water temps near 60 kill the north shore (think Oct 2011, and Nov 2012). 

• Haha 1