• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Poof

Maybe by Sunday?

Potential still exists for at least parts of Southern New 
England to see its first snow around Thursday night into Friday.
Less overall agreement in the 00z guidance than prior runs, due
mainly to the extent of interaction between northern and 
southern stream energy around Wednesday night/Thursday. Though 
the pattern remains favorable for at least some snow, plenty of 
variance in the guidance renders low predictability of 
timing, amounts and impact at this point.

All told, have better confidence in the cold blast that's 
coming in for Friday into Saturday, versus the potential for 
snow around Thursday night - Friday.

download (1).png

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Get in and stay with deep ass cold. 
And yes it’s disturbing Sunday morning conversation. 

Ha back on topic, in all honesty the GFS is pretty damn impressive as it suppresses it so much it brings a substantial snow to parts of the southern mid-Atlantic.  

North Carolina and southern Virginia shoveling on Nov 8-9 would be rare.

E6101929-8028-4E8E-8434-CD235A443E4D.thumb.png.71b5d9a952c41910e9050b157104ab7a.png

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha back on topic, in all honesty the GFS is pretty damn impressive as it suppresses it so much it brings a substantial snow to parts of the southern mid-Atlantic.  

North Carolina and southern Virginia shoveling on Nov 8-9 would be rare.

E6101929-8028-4E8E-8434-CD235A443E4D.thumb.png.71b5d9a952c41910e9050b157104ab7a.png

We might have to send Diane back if that happens. 
But yeah, it’s fast flow and sheared with cold pressing south, but also ridging pumping up ahead of ejecting s/w in the Plains. So you see how it’s all about timing. We’ll need that s/w in the plains to help phase with some of that s/w energy ejecting out of the Southwest US.

• Haha 2

That NAVGEM was significantly more amplified 06z and in fact, implicates a conversion to a windier event as it exits; its bombing in that solution. 

I thought the 00z GGEM might be attempting to tell us something in that although flatter with the baroclinic featuring, it did put down an impressive slug of QPF from CT-RI-SE zones ..so there's bit of mechanical forcing embedded in its overall ANA-like event that's really trying to overcome that compression canvas.

Obviously model reputation and caveat emptor applies in both - contrary the Lords and flies, they're not impossible solutions however.

In fact, neither is the Euro. I was careful to point out that the flow is stressed. It's velocity rich and so embedded S/W mechanics are less physically capable of organizing cyclogen... Fast moving WAA patterns with comparatively weaker waves embedded that are en masse moving along very fast are favored.  So, the Euro run is hard to go against in that sense. 

Experimentally I was offering that yesterday's Euro run "might" benefit from this system's presence in the flow due to spacial idiosyncrasy, and that might lend confidence to the Euro impacts here ( even though it was D6 for the OV/NE regions ).  Seeing this flatten a little ...heh.. not lending to any experimental thinking, no -  However, we should be careful to point out that the system is still identifiable in the flow over the time intervals. It's not like it's "lost" in that sense?  This was a narrow "needle thread" to begin with, such that minor variations can really make or break.

GFS' never had anything other than a QPF blob tumbling through the south, which actually doesn't offer/take away anything considering that guidance' charm at this time range.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Models will bring it back!

Someone's got to come out with the season's first "it'll come back north----they always do".  Unless things are missing the other way, then someone needs to post "it'll come back south--they always do".

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

At least mike got his only thread he will start out of the way early this season.

LOL--I seldomly start threads.

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Huh? It’s still there.  I thought we were all riding the ICON?  12-20” on Friday.

Massive early season event on that 00z run :lol: 

DCC00861-437E-4C80-BA87-C6A5685BEB46.thumb.png.9113cdb4307d5c8cadc056c101d0b64b.png

PIT 2 or bust.

Lot of cold around and we get a reload around d9-10. There will prob be a couple potential shortwaves to track including the suppressed one next Friday which could easily come back. 

Fast flow is never easy on guidance. I wouldn't expect a plowable event but the pattern can support one of the timing is there. It is definitely a thread-the-needle setup though. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lot of cold around and we get a reload around d9-10. There will prob be a couple potential shortwaves to track including the suppressed one next Friday which could easily come back

Fast flow is never easy on guidance. I wouldn't expect a plowable event but the pattern can support one of the timing is there. It is definitely a thread-the-needle setup though. 

Agreed ... these are " good problems " to have right now.  

Sort of in deference to the bold, I'm also not convinced the operational GFS is hiding a bigger ordeal out there D8-11 either.  There's a amplitude tenor in the operational run, and the time frame in question was so-so HA

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think your good, plus upslope not seen here

KMVL_2019110300_snow_360.png

I may push back sometimes on deep cold anomalies in mid-winter bringing good snows up here (suppression), but deep cold in November almost always seems to play out well in the end.  

Gonna be an expensive heating bill for November again this year it looks like regardless.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lot of cold around and we get a reload around d9-10. There will prob be a couple potential shortwaves to track including the suppressed one next Friday which could easily come back. 

Thread the needle 2

• Haha 1