• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

11 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Thursday night definitely  isn't  our last chance either.. great November incoming?

I'm inclined to think it could be decent -

For me personally, I felt an early loaded winter was possible - more so than background probabilities, year-to-year.  When seeing the last month play out where the vagaries of all have wended us into a colder than normal pattern in general, that lends; it seems it might be deeper rooted, and thus more than a mere ephemeral pattern look.   That could certainly still happen, and we Indian Summer out there beyond week 2...but I suspect the mode of the hemisphere supports this ( again ) such that it might be less likely; but even if that were to occur, we'd probably be looking at down the barrel of a reloaded pattern circa those extendeds.  

Of course, what does early loaded really mean... I think of it as sustaining enough BN to get a snow pack ... Heh, as an aside, we could be in a pattern that 20 years ago would do the trick, but it's harder to offset the big  CC monster these present years relative to the same looks from say ... 1995 ... So perhaps the definition of an early loaded winter needs to shift a little to be fair. Ha.. meaningless metric but interesting anyway.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s also the ICON.    I have little faith in it, despite its pretty depiction

Not to be a douche but ... is this street cred, or empirical scoring based. 

I'm not expecting much more than the formal in any social media platform regardless of creed, race concept or folly to be blunt; but no one should take that personally either.  But, we hear this mantra about model a, b, and c, and I've frankly, just accept it cause 'every thinks it'  - I hate that.  I've found there are a few certain scenarios where any one of them might do particularly well ... and auto-86ing based on rep is kind of playground bullying in a way. ha

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a douche but ... is this street cred, or empirical scoring based. 

I'm not expecting much more than the formal in any social media platform regardless of creed, race concept or folly to be blunt; but no one should take that personally either.  But, we hear this mantra about model a, b, and c, and I've frankly, just accept it cause 'every thinks it'  - I hate that.  I've found there are a few certain scenarios where any one of them might do particularly well ... and auto-86ing based on rep is kind of playground bullying in a way. ha

I will try to dig up scores but in the past my memory of it has been that it does ok on temps but storms tend to get overdone thus far out.  
I could def be wrong.   I don’t recall it scoring any coups in SNE before

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I will try to dig up scores but in the past my memory of it has been that it does ok on temps but storms tend to get overdone thus far out.  
I could def be wrong.   I don’t recall it scoring any coups in SNE before

Yeah, I don't have access to any numbers either. 

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hmmm.   Based on these scores, it looks like it does better in longer range (120 hours) than shorter term (24 hours). 
 Color me surprised 

https://weather.gc.ca/verification/monthly_ts_e.html

That's not anomaly correlation...that's RMSE (root mean squared error). The lower the value the better.

• Like 1

Again... there was some sneaky mechanics embedded in that 00z GGEM solution that was blooming some impressive QPF in CT-RI-SE Ma despite the primarily ANA characteristic synoptic evolution.  You could tell, it wouldn't take much for this model to torque things up a bit.  It's like symbolically this type of solution was in there but being capped before -