Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

2 hours ago, SR Airglow said:

Not only has this one had one huge change, it's arguably had three; went NW, then went pretty far SE, then came back and now seems to be going SE again. And all inside 72 ish hours. Wild. Not sure what's causing this, but it only seems to be more and more prevalent in modeling over the last couple of winters, sure makes this a more aggravating (but also more enjoyable) hobby.

Updated BTV/GYX maps seem reasonable, but I still think there's time for changes here given how variable this has been. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

From a few storms we’ve had to track so far, my biggest concern is the lack of consistency and it seems like if 1 models shift, they all do.  I feel like we used to see more stepwise shifts vs windshield wiper flips back and forth.  

And the more interesting part to me is that all the models seem to be ingesting the same data that is causing some big swings.  Like all the sudden at 18z the models yesterday went apeshit amped up...but it’s not like just the NAM did it or something.  They all did and the Euro was probably the worst of them all shoving 1-2” QPF to Canada.  

So they initialized something that made them go nuts for a couple runs.  Then 12 hours later initialized something that made them go “oh whoops, back to the starting point.”  

Going to be a long winter of models, ha.  I feel like they all just follow each other around, when in the past it would be a bigger spread but those models would be more consistent in their respective camps....if that makes sense.  Like the Euro or GFS or NAM would disagree in a big way and hold that position for several runs.  Now they all flip back and forth with whatever data they initialize with.

Early December 1992 was the ultimate 'bowling ball' coming across the country suppressed enough for a major snow event. I mean ultimate for the very early part of met. winter. Obviously we get them in later winter to spring. This was a year or so before I got all the good data on the net and I'm not sure what the state of the NAO was, etc. Kind of flying blind as an amateur before the net.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Eh....winters on the way...pattern looks good...it’s 11/23.   Weenies make this thread unreadable often.

I find other trash from trolls unreadable. Snow88 excited about a d10 gfs threat is at least just a passionate weenie being a weenie. The pattern possibly supports something weenieish anyway. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

‘It’s wrong if the block is and right if it isn’t’. classic line lol. 

Its true.  You really think the models will catch on to a block this far out. It's not about being a weenie.  It's the truth.  How many times have we seen models adjust to the blocking in the past ?

On 11/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, CoastalWx said:

I don’t see a negative PNA. The ridging stays more in the EPO region, but it will relax a tad.

hopefully everyone sees it now. models are a great tool, but you have to look at the "weather" too...things seem to average out over time, sans the big anomalies. Everyone is data driven now, sometimes it really is that simple. 

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

A cold Novie was like putting out appetizers and as we were about to stuff our faces...the waitress takes it away, claiming it was for another table. 

OTOH, we’re stepping down like we used to.  Yes it’s been a cold month but the step down has been fairly orderly and matches my boyhood memories.  Also, being practically 73 years old lends perspective.

• Like 4

On 11/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, Drop the Trough said:

big negative PNA coming, this pattern needs to snap back like rubber band, the west will enjoy some run of the mill base building in the mountains after 11/21, too early to lock in cold in the east, besides, my grass seed isn't done germinating and i have one more milorganite treatment to lay down. 

this was a good call...feet upon feet in the cottonwoods this week, Cali and Co will benefit too...who else saw the negative PNA? Even DTWX*** was barking no end to the cold through the remainder of November. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SophieG said:

hopefully everyone sees it now. models are a great tool, but you have to look at the "weather" too...things seem to average out over time, sans the big anomalies. Everyone is data driven now, sometimes it really is that simple. 

there's no "big -PNA" coming, a drop yes but roughly -1 sd is forecasted

• Like 1