Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I get PVC's off/on for years now. Extra ventricular beats. Nothing ominous says the Dr. They can ablate them which is what your in-law had done (burn the cells where the origin is in the heart), but it's not always successful and may need to be repeated. I've been reading the Haywire Heart, which is book about cardiac arrhythmias for endurance athletes. While I'm not into heavy training, the PVCs I get on the bike can be annoying. The book is a decent read otherwise.

That is what he had done.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That may be a lot of onshore flow too. You can see that on guidance. Could be night temps driving those departures.

I know Tippy has been on it but the mins seem to drive the above normal departures more often than not.  It’s gotta get pretty hot to get sustained afternoon temps decently above normal maxes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Stupid, I know.  I don't carry a cell phone, but the camera is only 3"/2"1".

Even with my JD tractor, There are times i have had to break it down to get thru it on some storms because of the drifting, Which i wouldn't mind doing it every time.............:snowman:

Even having to chop the packed snow on the town road so I can get mail delivery doesn't change the fact that I'm playing in the snow.  Of course, last time I had to do that was 1/6/18, chopping the nicely set plow pile from the 1/4 storm so the blower would digest it, on a day with strong winds and a max of -6.  (As one of my forestry profs once said, "There's no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing.")  No problems with the snow, but 8 hours later addressing letters at the dining room table put me into A-fib, resulting in my first meatwagon ride and two days in the hospital.  :o

Impressive!  

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks hot unfortunately 

That's a probability map, not a departure map. It indicates direction, not magnitude. If that period comes in at +0.1 or +10.1 it's equally correct. Even a +3 this late in the season is highs around 80 lows in the upper-50s generally across SNE.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, ORH_wxman said:

I'm a huge fan of mild Octobers. I have no use for the garbage "highs of 46, low of 27" type airmasses in October. Save those for a month later when they give you highs near 30. 

Ill take highs in the 60s all the time in October. I'll allow for one or two quick frost/freezes just to remind us that winter isn't too far off but otherwise, I'm all for 65/45. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, Hoth said:

Let's go wild and get Jspin some measurable this weekend. 

LOL, not quite yet, this weekend looks like more of this fantastic late summer/early fall weather that is too good to pass up.

But, a few more weeks and we’ll definitely be watching for those first dustings in the peaks around here in NNE.  The earliest recorded accumulations on Mt. Mansfield are actually only a week from today (see inset in the graph below), and of course on Mt. Washington it can happen at almost any time.  I ran the early snowfall numbers for Mt. Mansfield a few years back and found that first snows occurred in September at an average rate of about twice a decade, and only about once a decade do we not have that first snow by October.  I recently assembled the actual numbers though, and I’ve plotted those below.  The occurrence of first snow by October is actually a bit higher than 90% though, so the absence of snow by October is closer to once every 15 years vs. once a decade.  First snows are potentially a bit more frequent than the numbers indicate too, since there are some seasons with chunks of autumn data missing, and with the ephemeral nature of early season snow and the variability in personnel making those observations, some occurrences of snow could have easily been missed.

21AUG19A.jpg

Will has mentioned his inclinations toward mild Octobers before, and I’m definitely with him on that.  Killing off the bugs and then having Indian Summer with foliage is amazing.  Up here though, the other side of the coin can also be good.  If we can get those below average temperature that bring a decent early snowfall, the turns can be great sometimes.  Even if the snow is meager though, you still get those vistas of foliage and white.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You soberly think 84/75 for more than a random day in Sept will happen as frequently as you say it will?

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You soberly think 84/75 for more than a random day in Sept will happen as frequently as you say it will?

Pattern turns Warm and humid day 9/3 on. Watch and see. Bermuda high backs back in

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL, not quite yet, this weekend looks like more of this fantastic late summer/early fall weather that is too good to pass up.

But, a few more weeks and we’ll definitely be watching for those first dustings in the peaks around here in NNE.  The earliest recorded accumulations on Mt. Mansfield are actually only a week from today (see inset in the graph below), and of course on Mt. Washington it can happen at almost any time.  I ran the early snowfall numbers for Mt. Mansfield a few years back and found that first snows occurred in September at an average rate of about twice a decade, and only about once a decade do we not have that first snow by October.  I recently assembled the actual numbers though, and I’ve plotted those below.  The occurrence of first snow by October is actually a bit higher than 90% though, so the absence of snow by October is closer to once every 15 years vs. once a decade.  First snows are potentially a bit more frequent than the numbers indicate too, since there are some seasons with chunks of autumn data missing, and with the ephemeral nature of early season snow and the variability in personnel making those observations, some occurrences of snow could easily been missed.

21AUG19A.jpg

Will has mentioned his inclinations toward mild Octobers before, and I’m definitely with him on that.  Killing off the bugs and then having Indian Summer with foliage is amazing.  Up here though, the other side of the coin can also be good.  If we can get those below average temperature that bring a decent early snowfall, the turns can be great sometimes.  Even if the snow is meager though, you still get those vistas of foliage and white.

8/28/86. How much did they get?

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

8/28/86. How much did they get?

There was 0.2” for new snow on 8/28/86.  The next new snow entry for that season was 9/15/86 when 4.0” was reported, followed by 2.0” on 10/6/86 and 1.0” on 10/7/86.  That was it until things started picking up again on November 2nd.

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

But, a few more weeks and we’ll definitely be watching for those first dustings in the peaks around here in NNE.  The earliest recorded accumulations on Mt. Mansfield are actually only a week from today (see inset in the graph below), and of course on Mt. Washington it can happen at almost any time.  I ran the early snowfall numbers for Mt. Mansfield a few years back and found that first snows occurred in September at an average rate of about twice a decade, and only about once a decade do we not have that first snow by October.  I recently assembled the actual numbers though, and I’ve plotted those below.  The occurrence of first snow by October is actually a bit higher than 90% though, so the absence of snow by October is closer to once every 15 years vs. once a decade.  First snows are potentially a bit more frequent than the numbers indicate too, since there are some seasons with chunks of autumn data missing, and with the ephemeral nature of early season snow and the variability in personnel making those observations, some occurrences of snow could easily been missed.

21AUG19A.jpg

That must have been one long fall in 1985.