Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That was me cutting into the snow since my blower couldn't handle it. The joke was that I was somehow angry...but lets be honest...how can you be mad at that? Man....the memories. 

I thought that was the time you smashed the fuel tank with the shovel repeatedly.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It was so deep and packed in. I had to literally chop it down. But yeah, it looks like I’m about to lose it lol.

Even with my JD tractor, There are times i have had to break it down to get thru it on some storms because of the drifting, Which i wouldn't mind doing it every time.............:snowman:

15 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Hope for cold days because yellow jackets do not die, and are nasty in the fall. :D

In my experience, yellowjackets that survive early frosts become clumsy and stupid but incredibly pesty.  Less aggressive toward me (though their stings hurt like always) and more aggressive toward the grill and the picnic spread.  It's like they're focused on their final meal but ready to nail anyone getting between them and the food.

I like some 46/27 days in early Oct - sweetens up my late apples (the Haralreds need a sub-30 night or two for the tartness to be under control.)   And the 65-45 stuff is wonderful during peak color but can go away before the firearms deer season opener, which for Maine residents can vary from 10/27 to 11/2 - this year, with T-Day on 11/28, season opens 11/2.

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Saw this posted on wgme. Yesterday's storm in AugustaFB_IMG_1566345996564.jpg

0.2 miles (or one second) north of my office.  Probably I was just driving out of the RA+ in Belgrade Village when that was taken.  Our garden was deluged with 0.02" from the north edge of that storm, but I did get to see some impressive towers from storms passing a few miles north of our place, and as pretty a sunset as I can remember.  Dry air was moving in, giving a well-defined view of Mt. Blue 15 miles to my west, and the sun was setting right behind the mountain.  The silhouette with golden glow behind and orange-to-lavender clouds swirling above would've made a lovely pic if I'd had the tools. 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

0.2 miles (or one second) north of my office.  Probably I was just driving out of the RA+ in Belgrade Village when that was taken.  Our garden was deluged with 0.02" from the north edge of that storm, but I did get to see some impressive towers from storms passing a few miles north of our place, and as pretty a sunset as I can remember.  Dry air was moving in, giving a well-defined view of Mt. Blue 15 miles to my west, and the sun was setting right behind the mountain.  The silhouette with golden glow behind and orange-to-lavender clouds swirling above would've made a lovely pic if I'd had the tools. 

Tom, So in short, You left your camera at home............;)

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Tom, So in short, You left your camera at home............;)

Stupid, I know.  I don't carry a cell phone, but the camera is only 3"/2"1".

Even with my JD tractor, There are times i have had to break it down to get thru it on some storms because of the drifting, Which i wouldn't mind doing it every time.............:snowman:

Even having to chop the packed snow on the town road so I can get mail delivery doesn't change the fact that I'm playing in the snow.  Of course, last time I had to do that was 1/6/18, chopping the nicely set plow pile from the 1/4 storm so the blower would digest it, on a day with strong winds and a max of -6.  (As one of my forestry profs once said, "There's no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing.")  No problems with the snow, but 8 hours later addressing letters at the dining room table put me into A-fib, resulting in my first meatwagon ride and two days in the hospital.  :o

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Stupid, I know.  I don't carry a cell phone, but the camera is only 3"/2"1".

Even having to chop the packed snow on the town road so I can get mail delivery doesn't change the fact that I'm playing in the snow.  Of course, last time I had to do that was 1/6/18, chopping the nicely set plow pile from the 1/4 storm so the blower would digest it, on a day with strong winds and a max of -6.  (As one of my forestry profs once said, "There's no such thing as inclement weather, just improper clothing.")  No problems with the snow, but 8 hours later addressing letters at the dining room table put me into A-fib, resulting in my first meatwagon ride and two days in the hospital.  :o

Hopefully they have that under control, My brother in law has had a tough time with that, Been shocked twice and then they went in and did a procedure in the area of the heart that was misfiring.

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Hopefully they have that under control, My brother in law has had a tough time with that, Been shocked twice and then they went in and did a procedure in the area of the heart that was misfiring.

After 4 hours of pulse running between 70 and 170 (normal for me is about 50) they had the little defib all set to go, and the very thought of it scared my heart into behaving.  Had an echocardiogram which was as good as could be and then the catheter from the wrist - right coronary artery blocked but the left big and beautiful, having pioneered a "natural" bypass around the blockage.  Nothing serious since then, other than having to quit using ibuprofen due to taking a blood thinner.  Tylenol does nothing for me while 400 mg ibuprofen was quite effective.  Minor first-world problem.

What I did find out after getting home from hospital is that my older brother has had A-fib issues, actually fainted while on one of their European river cruises.  And he's always been in better shape than I've been, even before he went through West Point.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

After 4 hours of pulse running between 70 and 170 (normal for me is about 50) they had the little defib all set to go, and the very thought of it scared my heart into behaving.  Had an echocardiogram which was as good as could be and then the catheter from the wrist - right coronary artery blocked but the left big and beautiful, having pioneered a "natural" bypass around the blockage.  Nothing serious since then, other than having to quit using ibuprofen due to taking a blood thinner.  Tylenol does nothing for me while 400 mg ibuprofen was quite effective.  Minor first-world problem.

What I did find out after getting home from hospital is that my older brother has had A-fib issues, actually fainted while on one of their European river cruises.  And he's always been in better shape than I've been, even before he went through West Point.

Glad to hear you are well now. Seems that no matter your shape, our tickers batteries sometimes need a recharge.

40 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I get PVC's off/on for years now. Extra ventricular beats. Nothing ominous says the Dr. They can ablate them which is what your in-law had done (burn the cells where the origin is in the heart), but it's not always successful and may need to be repeated. I've been reading the Haywire Heart, which is book about cardiac arrhythmias for endurance athletes. While I'm not into heavy training, the PVCs I get on the bike can be annoying. The book is a decent read otherwise.