• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
George BM

July Discobs 2019

Some decent rain to the far NW in the region, but what a massive bust. I had one period of heavy rain overnight that was pretty quick. I'd estimate I ended up with a quarter inch or so. LOL.

18 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Radar estimates -- can't believe how bad some areas got screwed, especially southern MD.  Hopefully places that were shut out get at least some rain today.  I managed 0.8.  Luscious 67 degrees out.

image.png.6c60863196880c8ba5aa32a2aadbd002.png

Wow, mby was very fortunate during this heatwave.  Feel for all of you who didnt cash in.  

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Traditional rain gauge had between 2.8" - 3" when I left . I'll have to unclog the VP2 and compare later.

2.26" as of 7am this morning.

I have been reporting to CoCoRahs using their rain gauge for a little over a year now and have a VP2 as well.  I have noticed that the VP2 is consistently 10% +/- less in its reporting.  Heavy rain or light rain doesnt seem to make a difference. 2.26" this morning in the manual gauge and 2.02" in the VP2.

• Like 1

What a difference 24 hours can make. Although quite muggy, topped at 78.0 degrees with clouds yesterday before showers rolled in around 3 pm, 60.6/59.8 with rain continuing to fall this morning. So MUCH better!

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

2.26" as of 7am this morning.

I have been reporting to CoCoRahs using their rain gauge for a little over a year now and have a VP2 as well.  I have noticed that the VP2 is consistently 10% +/- less in its reporting.  Heavy rain or light rain doesnt seem to make a difference. 2.26" this morning in the manual gauge and 2.02" in the VP2.

I've noticed the same here, 5-10% short in the weather station. This am, 0.70 CoCoRaHs vs 0.65 weather station.

Not sure what it was that went through my area last night at 4:10 AM to 4:45 AM but it produced strong sustained winds and heavy rain, little thunder. 

Almost like a mini-derecho. 

Rank it in the top 2 or 3  storms of the spring summer season so far ..... and there have been many. 

Looked on my android at the mount holly radar and it showed a strong cluster of rainfall/storms moving from SW to NE 

The cool part was the cluster at the lower portion, my area and others, rotated and swirled as it moved across the area. Hardly ever see that . 

I see many down limbs this AM driving around.   Over .60 from that storm alone

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Wow, mby was very fortunate during this heatwave.  Feel for all of you who didn't cash in.  

Probably because you're in Carolina.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George BM said:

Currently 68F at IAD. It's bitterly cold out there. Bundle up in warm-layers today.

I think my AC has PTSD.  It was on this morning at that temperature. 

Figures about the coupling 

I think in the early winter we lacked coupling, and had the long duration + SOI for weeks on end 

Seems like my prediction wasn't too far off. I predicted I would struggle to get .50 inches of rain from this event. I got .57 inches. lol   The drought continues. Really wish we could get one or two days of constant drizzle and rain that adds up to 2". That's all I'm asking for. Or at least a storm that sits over me for 30 minutes and then dissipates. 

It is interesting to experience micro-droughts in an area that usually gets enough widespread rain each year. 

looks like 3.16 for the storm total. i think that includes sunday night. really need to replace the battery in my vue lol 

24 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

About to get really dry in my area. Had a few sprinkles from this "heavy rain event" and a rain free 10 day forecast. 

Whats your monthly total?

I am sitting at 2.45" and 1.8" of that fell in a 6 hour period 12 days ago.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Whats your monthly total?

I am sitting at 2.45" and 1.8" of that fell in a 6 hour period 12 days ago.

wow. i'm at 10" for July. 

21 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

One thing I do love about my own personal month long rain shield- zero mosquitoes.

There is a silver lining in all scenarios, but when I just looked at the 30 day rainfall map, wow,  to the striking totals from feast to famine. 

I have been very lucky. Some areas are so dry. From BWI NE and NW near Mappy land have big time totals, Philly big and other areas to the West and SW and South are very dry. 

Some areas that are dry are like micro areas, not very large but still much drier than the areas around them. 

The bottom line is that totals across  the forum are not uniform.