Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

95F is a big number to beat for ORH....they've only exceed 94F twice since that 1991 outbreak. In back to back years in 2010 and 2011.

I just don't understand why ORH is always so cold....i mean it's not that high in elevation.  Having CAR higher in temp than ORH is just ridiculous.  

3 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I just don't understand why ORH is always so cold....i mean it's not that high in elevation.  Having CAR higher in temp than ORH is just ridiculous.  

ORH is in a bad spot for getting big heat...SNE typically gets our best heat advection on like W or WSW flow...but for ORH that isn't a good downslope direction....you really want like NW flow. So it's better if the heat comes over the top through Canada and upstate NY which happens less frequently.

Unless you have a downslope or compression aspect to the air, it's really hard to exceed 95F at 1000 feet. CAR is only like 400 feet, so on the right setup, they can bake a little higher.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Weeklies have had a bad cold bias. We toss and we AN for Aug I think.  The summers of 2009 are gone I think. :( 

On the fence... 

I wonder if this propensity for buckling the flow above the 45th parallel that doesn't seem to be going away from the models... Is that "perhaps" a clue that there is meridional canvas lurking here? 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

On the fence... 

I wonder if this propensity for buckling the flow above the 45th parallel that doesn't seem to be going away from the models... Is that "perhaps" a clue that there is meridional canvas lurking here? 

I was speaking more to the moisture bias that they tend to have in the warm season. Almost like how the climo models love to make everything on the surface with pretty oranges in winter  when we know AK ridging will cause the freezer to move in. I see some hints of a SE ridge in the East. We shall see. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH is in a bad spot for getting big heat...SNE typically gets our best heat advection on like W or WSW flow...but for ORH that isn't a good downslope direction....you really want like NW flow. So it's better if the heat comes over the top through Canada and upstate NY which happens less frequently.

Unless you have a downslope or compression aspect to the air, it's really hard to exceed 95F at 1000 feet. CAR is only like 400 feet, so on the right setup, they can bake a little higher.

I'm pretty sure if we convert sigma coordinates to feet elevation we'd find that 1, 000 is plenty high enough to be well above the BL logarithmic sloping...  We've had boundary layers only 1,000 deep before.. rare.  But like you said, give me a Sonoran release air mass up over southern Can and down ( I believe that was hot Sat back in the 1970s) and that direction is katabatic for Worcester .. they'll cook.  

But your right, ...the more typical continental conveyor is actually a borderline 'upslope' condition .. folks need to realize..  in neutral buoyancy if the air has any forced ascent at all, that is cooling the parcel - doesn't have to be all the way down to the condensation point to begin that process.  In a way ... if it's 91 at HFD in a so-so DP and you run that up the west sides of the hills there.. you may actually lose a couple ticks that way. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MetHerb said:

I recall posters in 2012 touting that March is no longer a winter month and it's been one practically every year since.

Not that I think you're wrong...

It's just the way it's been. Maybe one summer comes along and parks that Hudson Bay trough over our fannies, but for whatever the reason (GW and more sub-seasonal things like ENSO AMOC etc) it's been very difficult. 

47 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If i checked in all the beer brands i have consumed over the years it would rival the thickness of a bible.

Yeah, in my line of work I'm sure I would be in the thousands.  

I have saved a few hundred individual cans with, the qualification being, I needed to like the artwork and the liquid for it to be a keeper.  They adorn the steal beams of my basement and will go into the man cave when I build it.

• Like 1

Mmm... we go through phases that last all different time spans, where the product of noise only seems to favor flopping things on cold or hot sides of normality. 

But, it's like coin flipping?  You can flip heads-tales-heads-heads-heads-tales-tales-head-heads-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tales-tale-tales... and think, oh, well, those heads early on were just outliers... But then you flip heads 80 times out of nowhere before returning back to every-other-one again...  No pattern really - 

Smacks as something like that,... the whole March cool vs warm thing.  Although, suppose GW (or GC) gets out of control sloped, than any given March may have a somewhat better chance of being warmer(cooler) respective of that. 

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s also that all 1,000ft els aren’t created equally... I think ORH benefits from being highest terrain around.  Different from like 1,000ft in a NNE mountain valley (see HIE, BML).

Even yesterday AFN was 3F higher at 81F despite 1,000ft because they do have some higher terrain around them. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It’s also that all 1,000ft els aren’t created equally... I think ORH benefits from being highest terrain around.  Different from like 1,000ft in a NNE mountain valley (see HIE, BML).

Even yesterday AFN was 3F higher at 81F despite 1,000ft because they do have some higher terrain around them. 

Right, better to be at 1000ft and have a higher relative elevation or prominence vs being at 1000ft and surrounded by terrain like a fishbowl. 

6 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I recall posters in 2012 touting that March is no longer a winter month and it's been one practically every year since.

Not that I think you're wrong...

We'll have another 2009 or 2000 summer at some point. These things tend to go in cycles even with an underlying warming trend. We couldn't buy a cold summer for a stretch in the 1940s and early 1950s....save maybe summer of '46. Then there was a stretch in the mid 1980s to early 1990s we couldn't buy a hot summer save for 1988. 

The Summer of 1949 is still the warmest on record for the state of MA. There's going to be some big dips and peaks on a year to year basis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yep, that's why I said " Unless you have a downslope or compression aspect to the air " that its really hard to hit 95+ at 1,000 feet at this latitude. You need something to cook the air like the chinook out west in Montana/Wyoming or on a more local scale like HIE/BML off the presidentials.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

KTOL same idea. Which is why Herb in the valley there in Stafford, under the hilltops , but still not at a real low elevation can radiate fake cold so well ,