Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Hmm, Media here has PWM at #1 all time topping 07/11, Maybe DIT wrote the article.

Technically PWM temperature records only go back to 1940, but the threaded data goes back to 1870 something. July 1876 also average 73.1, but the thermometer was 82 feet up on Exchange Street so who knows how accurate that really is.

So definitely the hottest official July and month for PWM, but unofficially tied for the hottest.

55 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Good news is that PWM tied the all time warmest month, even in the threaded database with iffy 1870s records. 

If BOS was the only site that did it Scooter would be wandering around the Seaport chucking * at random strangers.

It would be more believable if BOS had beat it by at least 1-1.5F (preferably more than 1.5F). Beating it by 0.7F with that MADIS graph though definitely gives it a *

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Technically PWM temperature records only go back to 1940, but the threaded data goes back to 1870 something. July 1876 also average 73.1, but the thermometer was 82 feet up on Exchange Street so who knows how accurate that really is.

So definitely the hottest official July and month for PWM, but unofficially tied for the hottest.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Torches flying everywhere 

A2517876-6D94-4FFB-B989-3BFEED96D252.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would be more believable if BOS had beat it by at least 1-1.5F (preferably more than 1.5F). Beating it by 0.7F with that MADIS graph though definitely gives it a *

Between this and the snow database BOS is a bit of a hot mess. 

I'm guessing it's far from the only first order station that has issues though.

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

So PWM is hottest ever and Greenfield is + 4.2 and Taunton is 4.2 seems pretty clear  this was a torch 

It was a torch in an interesting way to me.  ORH had a ton of + departures but only 2 that were double digit (the Hawt Weekend). I know it is hard to get +10s during the climo hottest month but was surprised by that.  A bunch of +8 and +9s. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

I don't know what our July avg is supposed to be, but I recorded 71.9F. 
 Rainfall for month      = 2.098 in.
 Rainfall for year       = 15.555 in.

Wow!  You have really been dry this year, if that's accurate.  I've measured 28.17", 1.03" AN thanks to January's +2.25".  Last evening's 0.36" brought July a whisker above 3" (and another 0.07" came after I'd dumped the gauge at 9 PM.)
July 2019
Avg. Max: 77.74,  1.35 AN  Hottest: 86,  20th.  High min:  65, 21st
Avg. Min:  54.58,  0.28 AN  Coolest:  44,  8th.   Low max:  65, 12th, 23rd
Mean:  66.16,   0.81 AN   Highest mean:  74, 20th,21st   Lowest mean:  60, 25th
Only 29 HDDs, only 7/2006 (a much warmer month) had fewer, 26.  The month featured no really hot days but also very little significantly BN.

Precip:  3.01", 0.87" BN  Most in a day:  1.02,  12th.  3 days with thunder, avg is 4.5

The month featured 15 days of sunny/mostly sunny and just 3 cloudy/mostly cloudy.  Using my sunny+(PC/2), the "sun proportion" was 21.5 days.  No other month (any month) has recorded more than 20.

36 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Between this and the snow database BOS is a bit of a hot mess. 

I'm guessing it's far from the only first order station that has issues though.

We need a dedicated QC team for all our stations in New England.

We could hunt for piles of rocks near ASOS setups or new blacktop anytime we see MADIS graphs go haywire. :lol:

We could hire accordion Cory to drive all over the region to make sure the snow measurements are accurate too. 

• Haha 2

We could hunt for piles of rocks near ASOS setups or new blacktop anytime we see MADIS graphs go haywire. :lol:

We could hire accordion Cory to drive all over the region to make sure the snow measurements are accurate too. 

Name me a full time job that is MEMA, or weather related, and I will be there on Monday.

I can picture Dendrite and his chickens flinging rocks away from CON.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I can picture Dendrite and his chickens flinging rocks away from CON.

I'm picturing a van screeching up to a fresh blacktop pathway to the ASOS station and like 6 weenies jump out with pick axes and demolish it in like 10 minutes and lay down fresh grass turf in its place. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm picturing a van screeching up to a fresh blacktop pathway to the ASOS station and like 6 weenies jump out with pick axes and demolish it in like 10 minutes and lay down fresh grass turf in its place. 

:lol: 

We need that MADIS site to have a picture of every ASOS with Cory in front of it, playing the accordion in every direction. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It was a torch in an interesting way to me.  ORH had a ton of + departures but only 2 that were double digit (the Hawt Weekend). I know it is hard to get +10s during the climo hottest month but was surprised by that.  A bunch of +8 and +9s. 

I pulled off 5 (+10F)

I also had 3 (+9F) 

Capture.thumb.JPG.d0b6fb98b1d20f25dde9ca13653490fd.JPG

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Wow!  You have really been dry this year, if that's accurate.  I've measured 28.17", 1.03" AN thanks to January's +2.25".  Last evening's 0.36" brought July a whisker above 3" (and another 0.07" came after I'd dumped the gauge at 9 PM.)
July 2019
Only 29 HDDs, only 7/2006 (a much warmer month) had fewer, 26.  The month featured no really hot days but also very little significantly BN.

Precip:  3.01", 0.87" BN  Most in a day:  1.02,  12th.  3 days with thunder, avg is 4.5

The month featured 15 days of sunny/mostly sunny and just 3 cloudy/mostly cloudy.  Using my sunny+(PC/2), the "sun proportion" was 21.5 days.  No other month (any month) has recorded more than 20.

There is no liquid from snowfall in that data--which is why its so low I assume.

48 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

There is no liquid from snowfall in that data--which is why its so low I assume.

Actually there is some, but since I'm not diligent about removing the snow from the davis before it melts, my rainfall totals are not very accurate for the year. Meanwhile, won't be needing to mow or fertilize the lawn any time soon. The front yard is turning into a desert.

capture2.jpg

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

July 2019

Does your total rain include melted snow?

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Does your total rain include melted snow?

Yes.  Though I didn't track events under 2" (except for last October's 1.5 - well worth noting), the 66.7" in 2019's 2"+ storms held 7.98" LE.  Little ones totaled 10.1" SN, probably another 1-1.5" LE, thus my 2019 rain is closer to 19" than the above 28.17".

6 hours ago, MetHerb said:

35 so not that long but enough to provide some comparison.

It’s def a very unique climate in the hill towns of NE CT. Certainly it’s own little microclimate with idiosyncrasies within the region like you radiating in the valley between hills and me torching on radiation nights with wind , but much colder during CAA.  We all kid around, but we live in one of the best spots in SNE. The only thing I think we fall short on is big severe 

• Sad 1