Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right, better to be at 1000ft and have a higher relative elevation or prominence vs being at 1000ft and surrounded by terrain like a fishbowl. 

Yeah you can see it in the diurnal changes... ORH has like a 16F swing as opposed to 30+ degree swings at 1,000ft but in a valley.  

Hell, ORH can be cooler during the day than SLK at 1,600ft because it’s surrounded by 4-5kft peaks.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

KTOL same idea. Which is why Herb in the valley there in Stafford, under the hilltops , but still not at a real low elevation can radiate fake cold so well ,

Yeah...just like how you are the first to hit the warm sector in winter too whereas 1k valleys hug the cold CAD.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, that's why I said " Unless you have a downslope or compression aspect to the air " that its really hard to hit 95+ at 1,000 feet at this latitude. You need something to cook the air like the chinook out west in Montana/Wyoming or on a more local scale like HIE/BML off the presidentials.

There’s really nothing to get air sinking at ORH... you’ll never have that compressional warming there it seems.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah you can see it in the diurnal changes... ORH has like a 16F swing as opposed to 30+ degree swings at 1,000ft but in a valley.  

Hell, ORH can be cooler during the day than SLK at 1,600ft because it’s surrounded by 4-5kft peaks.

Colder then SLK....hmmm rare

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Just to add an interesting note to this whole summer thing, it’s been pretty damn cool in the Hudson Bay area lately. So the cold air is there, just hasn’t really penetrated too far south. But, it’s worth noting Hudson Bay has been pretty damn cold. 

I think I posted a couple weeks ago how the LR models had been keeping some relatively cold air in that region. Only problem is we haven't been able to tap into it like some of those lalaland runs did from time to time. Maybe we can tap into it briefly in between torches.

• Like 1

Is the map of the US on NWS homepage to get to particular WFOs not clickable for anyone else in here?  Right as I comment it starts working for me again...

Also looks like remnants of Barry are causing more problems in Arkansas today then it did along the most of the gulf coast. Who would've thought. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Shades closed at 990ft while people in West Hartford post about their ZR all day.

We here 

The highest point in Tolland, Bald Hill, is on this property at an elevation of 1,011 feet above sea level. The land is level in the northern section but then sharply drops 100 feet in elevation. There is an excellent view to the south from the ridge top, especially in winter. A bench is located there so that hikers may sit and enjoy the view.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We here 

The highest point in Tolland, Bald Hill, is on this property at an elevation of 1,011 feet above sea level. The land is level in the northern section but then sharply drops 100 feet in elevation. There is an excellent view to the south from the ridge top, especially in winter. A bench is located there so that hikers may sit and enjoy the view.

Pretty sure I've plugged your spot on your road into the topo maps and you were sub 1k by a hair.

20 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Is the map of the US on NWS homepage to get to particular WFOs not clickable for anyone else in here?  Right as I comment it starts working for me again...

Also looks like remnants of Barry are causing more problems in Arkansas today then it did along the most of the gulf coast. Who would've thought. 

Still not working here

Flash flooding is def a concern tomorrow. I'm honestly not even sure if there will be a ton of lightning tomorrow. Just slow-ish moving training downpours with a few CG's tickling the ground once in a while. I guess locally where an updraft can accelerate towards space some spitting CG's will happen. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Flash flooding is def a concern tomorrow. I'm honestly not even sure if there will be a ton of lightning tomorrow. Just slow-ish moving training downpours with a few CG's tickling the ground once in a while. I guess locally where an updraft can accelerate towards space some spitting CG's will happen. 

Do you think this waits until after 5pm?