Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol:...no weather page or social handle ever made it big by discussing the model differences between +13C or +16C H85 temps at Day 3 and the possible implications high cirrus might have on those temps.

Even the WC had to resort to some of the worse reality shows ever produced in an attempt to boost ratings. Not to mention Mike Seidel's embarrassing on air performance last year.   Much of the populace consider mets to be just a step ahead  of witch doctors.  As you well know the vast majority of the people only want to know  if the weather is going to be nice or not. 

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Gotta get rid of that Newfoundland low...it keeps pinching off these ridges trying to build in. Then we end up with a battleground, precip, and on the wrong side of the sfc front.

This is precisely correct if it were up to me ... 

I've been noticing that, a repeating failure ...  where  major warm ups enter the farthest edge of the extended range ... but within a day or two of cycles it's been hacked off by NW flow like a head in the French Inquisition ... GFS operational just did it yesterday into today... The MOS off 12z yesterday was putting up 84s to 89s for Sunday ...Then, you'd be lucky to find an 80 on that day... and I'm sure it'll be 54 by this time tomorrow...   

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is precisely correct if it were up to me ... 

I've been noticing that, a repeating failure ...  where  major warm ups enter the farthest edge of the extended range ... but within a day or two of cycles it's been hacked off by NW flow like a head in the French Inquisition ... GFS operational just did it yesterday into today... The MOS off 12z yesterday was putting up 84s to 89s for Sunday ...Then, you'd be lucky to find an 80 on that day... and I'm sure it'll be 54 by this time tomorrow...   

It leaves around D4 and then.... is quickly replaced.

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Well to be fair...there's really not a lot of "synoptic" meteorology involved in a May snow event...at least in terms of larger scale pattern. Wavelengths are shortened to the point where we aren't looking at a teleconnection to hint at a May snow threat like we do in, say, February. I know you already know this....so what does that leave to discuss? Well, the smaller scale....we did discuss some of the smaller scale synoptic features like how the ULL was a bit too far northwest to really drive a stronger conveyor....that's how we get something bigger like a May '77. This one just couldn't dig down enough to prodce something more significant.

While a few flakes in May down to 600 or 800 feet in May isn't historic, it's definitely pretty rare. My guess is we'd have quite a bit of discussion in here too if we were looking to push mid 90s on a heat ridge...granted, probably not quite as much as the snow slop threat, but still a lot more than typical May weather. This one probably had a bit more discussion too because some of the model guidance leading into it was a bit more threatening. If the same result had happened except it was the other way around....models showing little threat of snow at all, and then a few folks did get some flakes...the discussion would have been a lot more muted due to lack of anticipation.

Yeah ... fair enough.    

Last year we had week of GFS modelling physically impossible high temperatures like northern IA circa 1936.   We discussed it. Synoptics and how/why the GFS was so ludicrous.  I think pretty confidently .. the atrociously dry lower troposphere/BL conditioning of that model led to its exorbitant high temperatures ... It was putting up 111/62 type T/TD spreads... but as we know, we capped 96s/76 at NWS sites ...and 96/80 on the Davis'  - remove those TDs and we probably would have ubiquitously made centennial honors

I think in the end excitement elevates contribution ... 

12z Euro's a far cry from the SW heat expulsion party it was throwin up for Sunday two days ago, but that look is a beaut nonetheless.   

Has +6 C over SNE with implied zero ceilings and what PGF there is, is sending lighter diurnal breezes toward the SE... That oughta keep the s-breeze confined to > I-95 over eastern zones and limiting its cooling capacity at that.  probably 68 to 72 and deep blues - but squeezing to 75 at places like FIT over to HFD

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Doubt it. Ridge will be over the plains this summer. 

I just found that a little amusing how 1/6th of that time span has busted - 

Just pokin' around the area climo sites and everyone's decimals to -4 below normal for May. 

Insidiously cooler than normal too.. It's not that extreme but has been attacking 2 to 5 pm every day in such a way as to leave a particularly bitter perception on how bad it is... Also, of the last 35 days ...I think it was 25 (?) have been < 20% sun.   Which means ... the nighttime lows are probably kept slightly elevated, which mutes the significance of just how putrescent it's been because the numbers skew higher.  

I mean there are those that enjoy this sort of thing... so neurotic about snow, they must ..I don't know, take a smug moral victory lap because cold shit weather keeps them in denial... But I'm not one of them.   

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I just found that a little amusing how 1/6th of that time span has busted - 

Just pokin' around the area climo sites and everyone's decimals to -4 below normal for May. 

Insidiously cooler than normal too.. It's not that extreme but has been attacking 2 to 5 pm every day in such a way as to leave a particularly bitter perception on how bad it is... Also, of the last 35 days ...I think it was 25 (?) have been < 20% sun.   Which means ... the nighttime lows are probably kept slightly elevated, which mutes the significance of just how putrescent it's been because the numbers skew higher.  

I mean there are those that enjoy this sort of thing... so neurotic about snow, they must ..I don't know, take a smug moral victory lap because cold shit weather keeps them in denial... But I'm not one of them.   

The lack of sun this May is 2005-esque....not quite on the level of that 3 week shitstorm with only a few days off between reloads....but it's in the same solar system anyway. So many days of slate overcast and light precip intermixed with an occasional bluebird day.

• Like 1