• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread 2P Mar 3-10A Mar 4 (snow, possible sleet s fringe)

wdrag

The mix line is headed north, but all models show this having a tough time making it up through EWR/NYC before sliding east and out. In the next 2-3 hours, much of NE-NJ through the city should pick up 3-5” as the heavy banding sets up right over our area before racing off NE. Should be fun

• Like 1

Short Term Forecast
National Weather Service New York NY
1005 PM EST Sun Mar 3 2019

NYZ072>075-176-178-040500-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-Southern Queens-
1005 PM EST Sun Mar 3 2019

.NOW...
Snowfall rates will continue to increase through midnight with 1
inch per hour possible. There is also a chance for 2 inch per hour
rates after midnight. Many roads outside of Manhattan are
beginning to become snow covered and hazardous for travel. Roads
remain wet in Manhattan, but are expected to become snow covered
in the next few hours as snowfall rates increase. Use extra
caution if you plan to travel tonight due to snow covered roads
and poor visibility.

$$

7 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Just hit 3”. Havent been in anything that could be remotely considered heavy snow yet. 

Roughly the same deal here, approaching 3" after 5 hours of light to occasionally borderline mod. Fairly uniform from north to south so far, but southern areas should start to pull ahead fairly quickly now that heavy banding is entering the picture.

15 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

I think its pretty location specific, I mean when I look out my window here in the UWS and see nothing but asphalt I cant help but be discouraged - especially considering how this occurred on numerous occasions last March when areas just to the N&W really cashed in.

Even though the streets are wet, central park is where the measurement takes place on the grass.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

As of 9 pm we have 2.25" of new snow: only 1/2" the past hour, as we had a bit of a lull, but it was ripping over the last 10 minutes and heavier snow looks like it's coming. 32F.  It's stunningly gorgeous out there with everything sticking to the trees and little wind (could be a problem with power/trees, obviously, but it's pretty to look at).  

As of 10 pm, we have 2.75" of new snow, with another 1/2" this past hour - a little less than I expected at this point, but with heavier snow just starting and looking to continue for a few hours, so I think we'll at least make it to 6", as long as that friggin' sleet line doesn't make it this far north - and if it does, there's going to be hell to pay, lol.  Abolutely ripping here now - heaviest snow of the night with <1/4 mile visibility - has to be >1" per hour now (really heavy stuff started about 10:15 pm).  

Upton

.NOW...
Snowfall rates will continue to increase through midnight with 1
inch per hour possible. There is also a chance for 2 inch per hour
rates after midnight. Many roads outside of Manhattan are
beginning to become snow covered and hazardous for travel. Roads
remain wet in Manhattan, but are expected to become snow covered
in the next few hours as snowfall rates increase. Use extra
caution if you plan to travel tonight due to snow covered roads
and poor visibility.
  • Like 1

Just now, RU848789 said:

As of 10 pm, we have 2.75" of new snow, with another 1/2" this past hour - a little less than I expected at this point, but with heavier snow just starting and looking to continue for a few hours, so I think we'll at least make it to 6", as long as that friggin' sleet line doesn't make it this far north - and if it does, there's going to be hell to pay, lol.  Abolutely ripping here now - heaviest snow of the night with <1/4 mile visibility - has to be >1" per hour now (really heavy stuff started about 10:15 pm).  

Was waiting for you to weigh in.....would be something if we don't beat the 4.5 from Sat....

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sleet about to kiss JFK. Watch that. It may wash out a bit, but it's flying north.

I think theres almost no way the south shore of LI and even southern NYC doesn't mix at least with some sleet at this point. Realistically I think the farthest north the mix line gets would be lower Manhattan but the NAM has it to the Westchester border for an hour.