Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It seems like QPF will be the limiting factor here.  Decent differences between the GFS and EURO but even if you take the high-end EURO, it'll still spare many the true damaging ice.

Definitely the risk for isolated areas though of some damage if QPF can get greater than 0.75".

Widespread advisory ice though looks like a good bet.  Lots of quarter inch type stuff seems like the way to go... glistening trees.

Yeah we will need qpf in that 0.80-1.00 range prior to 12z Thursday. We have had a few runs show it today but you typically want even the drier models in board with at last 0.70-0.75. 

You figure we can approach half an inch of accretion if we get those higher totals. Otherwise, this will probably be in the quarter inch accretion range. 

Temps are still not certain either. It could end up latently warming to 33 before 12z Thursday. That would also limit the impact. 

Still, there's def like a 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 shot that it could be pretty bad. The correct way to lean right now though is lower impact in terms of power grid but still potentially dangerous driving. 

14 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Weird seeing the NAM advect in colder air from the east. 

Doesn't seem to have the typical sfc AGS northerly drain...

I don't know I just don't trust the models with the boundary layers east of the Berkshires/White Mountains particularly when you have higher pressure north - that never ends warm or well for warm thinking and failing that fairly obvious input I wonder if this one of those deals. 

The QPF is def a limiting factor...the idea that this would be marginally disruptive to the powergrid (say, more than a quarter inch of accretion) is dependent on getting a nice swath of 0.5-0.75 QPF from the first wave....if it's something like 0.30-0.40 then it's not gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The QPF is def a limiting factor...the idea that this would be marginally disruptive to the powergrid (say, more than a quarter inch of accretion) is dependent on getting a nice swath of 0.5-0.75 QPF from the first wave....if it's something like 0.30-0.40 then it's not gonna happen.

I’m thinking more of an icy roads event than a big power loss one 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m thinking more of an icy roads event than a big power loss one 

Agreed...and it's always been that way. The 12z runs did raise an eyebrow though at really ramping up the QPF for the first wave...we had to see if it was a trend or a burp. Right now, based on the 18z runs and the early returns on the 00z runs, it looks like a burp.

30 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Didn’t you foresee a significant drop in its qpf earlier today? Maybe not that much but...

Oh well. Didn't put an exact number no but because mesos tend to goose QPF when they come inside to 60 hours… I think that's what it was. Euro had biggish numbers though and that threw this for a loop

It's kind of weird how cold some of the guidance is for eastern MA and RI. Like the 3km NAM is literally ZR right into Boston for several hours and it has pretty decent ZR accretion in SE MA. I'm kind of skeptical of this, but it's been showing up on various runs across more than one model.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's kind of weird how cold some of the guidance is for eastern MA and RI. Like the 3km NAM is literally ZR right into Boston for several hours and it has pretty decent ZR accretion in SE MA. I'm kind of skeptical of this, but it's been showing up on various runs across more than one model.

I commented on that earlier. We're advecting cold into NE CT from like TAN and OWD. Very odd but it has shown up for a bit now. 

950-925 is coldest in ern areas for a time and it's almost like an evaporational cooling thing from the ocean. I know, it's puzzling...but they all show it. 

Yea, I think I took the sig ice potential line down to like Attleboro to Hingham..