Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Insidious nature to this because it may yet only be 40 or so with the dp of say 31 ... but the sounding at 925 telling more the story? 

I'm not seeing an actual "surface" push but it just sort of flop defaults the BL into dicey cold scenario in the mean of the various guidance' - 

ecmwf_t925_neng_42.png

Too bad we don't have 950mb on the Euro...that's def been the coldest layer on the soundings. But seeing -2s there in MA shows that we're prob at least -3C and maybe -4C a bit below that layer before it warms a little bit near the surface back to 30-31F.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too bad we don't have 950mb on the Euro...that's def been the coldest layer on the soundings. But seeing -2s there in MA shows that we're prob at least -3C and maybe -4C a bit below that layer before it warms a little bit near the surface back to 30-31F.

Looks close to now cast  east of elevated interior 

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

ecmwf_t925_neng_42.png

That's a pretty classic look right there with that well of tap-able cold to feed in... right down the geographical viaduct from Maine.  

If the concomitant wake/meso low scooting pass Cape Cod ... tell you what, it's a higher sensitivity to so much as a 2 mb of depth could almost be in lock step with whether places like BED stay all ice or 32.3 -it

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think if I stay mostly sleet you guys will do really well down there. If my 950 cold can't overcome the layer of +4C aloft and I remain mostly ZR, it may become more of an elevated issue down there...especially once the low level cold advection wanes.

Yeah the sleet will keep the latent heat aloft and not near the surface....so the dewpoint drain will remain relatively fresh,.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think if I stay mostly sleet you guys will do really well down there. If my 950 cold can't overcome the layer of +4C aloft and I remain mostly ZR, it may become more of an elevated issue down there...especially once the low level cold advection wanes.

Looks like you may stay sleet, It looks like mainly snow here.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I guess the question is do all of us in the all /mainly ice areas do we pound down .75-1.0” qpf in 32 or below.. or does it take hours to get down under 32. That could make a difference 

Watch temps tomorrow afternoon...how much do we warm. While wetbulbing will be fairly quick, any lag could make a difference. If the high is like 35-36F and we're already back to 32F by 00z before the precip arrives, then it's gonna be pretty icy very quickly.

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Looks like you may stay sleet, It looks like mainly snow here.

NAM warm layer is pretty thick and toasty. It’s close. The GFS is mostly snow here, but I’m tossing that. I’d probably lean mostly sleet too, but we’ll see how it trends tonight. 

Just now, dendrite said:

NAM warm layer is pretty thick and toasty. It’s close. The GFS is mostly snow here, but I’m tossing that. I’d probably lean mostly sleet too, but we’ll see how it trends tonight. 

I was just basing that on the Euro, That was a sleet look on there for you, Meso's seem to be ticking cooler so we will see if that hols, For here, Were not working with a lot of qpf unless we get a few tics northward.

Just now, dryslot said:

I was just basing that on the Euro, That was a sleet look on there for you, Meso's seem to be ticking cooler so we will see if that hols, For here, Were not working with a lot of qpf unless we get a few tics northward.

Can you see 800mb on there?

Just now, dendrite said:

It would be nice if we had ECMWF soundings....RGEM is cold too and keeps you mostly sleet. RPM actually has you snow for a while and then sleet.

I'm guessing the Euro is closer to the RGEM/RPM combo because it has the 546 thickness over Ray's fanny around 06z....while the NAM has it north of you near MWN.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would be nice if we had ECMWF soundings....RGEM is cold too and keeps you mostly sleet. RPM actually has you snow for a while and then sleet.

I'm guessing the Euro is closer to the RGEM/RPM combo because it has the 546 thickness over Ray's fanny around 06z....while the NAM has it north of you near MWN.

I just tend to give the NAM a little more credence with its mid-level warmth. I’m curious to see which side, if any, caves a little at 00z. Knock that warm layer to +2C to +3C and I’ll have my helmet ready. 

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

I just tend to give the NAM a little more credence with its mid-level warmth. I’m curious to see which side, if any, caves a little at 00z. Knock that warm layer to +2C to +3C and I’ll have my helmet ready. 

The warm layer could be accurate and cold layer underdone too...that is what happened in 1/20....they were getting scalped down in BDL and into N RI despite warm layers of like +6to +7. Granted, I don't think the cold layer will be that prolific this time, but you're also not going to be getting +6 or +7 warm layer either. Even the NAM sounding has well over 1000m cold layer that maxes out around -5C. That's prob sleet and that's the warmest model.

I think we will need a warmer trend for mostly ZR up there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The warm layer could be accurate and cold layer underdone too...that is what happened in 1/20....they were getting scalped down in BDL and into N RI despite warm layers of like +6to +7. Granted, I don't think the cold layer will be that prolific this time, but you're also not going to be getting +6 or +7 warm layer either. Even the NAM sounding has well over 1000m cold layer that maxes out around -5C. That's prob sleet and that's the warmest model.

I think we will need a warmer trend for mostly ZR up there.

Usually I'm one phase change colder than you guys down there. So if you're seeing good ZR chances are I'm pinging. If I'm getting good ZR it's probably 34F -RA or the icing is relegated mostly to ORH and 1kft. I had quite a bit of sleet in 08 before flipping to some solid ZR, but that system was obviously an extreme example. But yeah, it'll probably verify as mostly PL here and ZR down there. I'm just really cheering against it.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

?  Did you look at the Euros qpf timing and surface temps, its colder for Kev at max precip 

It was 31-32 there. The problem is the antecedent airmass is so so. Reminds me of 08 (not saying magnitude will be that). But being further and further remove from the source region could hurt. This is nothing like 2.5 weeks ago. Sure he could get Siggy ice if we really get the dew drain, but ageo flow to me doesn’t look as impressive as past events.

18z NAM is weird...lower thicknesses than 12z run but significantly less CAD near the surface...warms ORH above freezing by 09z Thursday morning. Not sure why it does that...I notice on the isobars when toggling the two runs, the CAD looks better on 12z despite higher thicknesses. That solution verbatim wouldn't be that bad for icing...prob nasty for a few hours and then warms above freezing.

But the QPF increase is notable. We'll have to keep watching that...models will tend to erode the sfc cold too fast, but if the QPF bump we're seeing is real, then this could be become a problem.

I'd rather not lose power myself... but - 

anyway, not that we're exactly "riding the NAM" or anything but since we've discussed it .. this 18z run is actually even more QPF loaded with central and E/Ma now approaching 1.25" suggested by the FRH data... 

The BL looks a tick warmer ... but it's still +1  or + 2 at Logan at the end of 48 hours with moderate fall rates ... The thermal strata is definitely water and not pellets falling ... suspect that's accreting inland though.