Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 29-30, 2019 Arctic FROPA

WxUSAF

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Gfs is backing flow more than 12z even at short leads. Obvious as 54-60 hours. If anything like the nam is going to happen, that's what can do it.

it looks better so far...trough a bit more negative.  not like the nam, but better than 12z i think.

31 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

What the nam shows would be awesome and I think the high end scenario for us. 3 to 6 inches of over an 8 hour period with falling temps. Trough going negative early enough to really benefit us. TO bad it's the nam at 84 hours

Mini 1/26/11 on the NAM right there.  Only difference would be it's temps progressively falling versus a paste bomb at 31 degrees.

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Gfs drops over .5 qpf over everyone around the cities and burbs. If the mids are too warm it could possibly be all snow... 

might have to shave some qpf off to start with temps around 40, but they drop pretty fast.  even if that's 0.3", gotta think that's a solid 2-3" along 95.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

might have to shave some qpf off to start with temps around 40, but they drop pretty fast.  even if that's 0.3", gotta think that's a solid 2-3" along 95.

As depicted in 18z easy 2 -3...blizzard like for a few hours.  Comes at sunset.  Perfect

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I've said this a lot already but it really is a razor's edge. Euro is colder leading in and mostly if not entirely snow when it counts. Maybe the gfs is too warm? Hard to say. Too bad the panel before this one is too warm up through 850 but this sounding is a heavy snow and high ratio. 

bkPOEep.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I've said this a lot already but it really is a razor's edge. Euro is colder leading in and mostly if not entirely snow when it counts. Maybe the gfs is too warm? Hard to say. Too bad the panel before this one is too warm up through 850 but this sounding is a heavy snow and high ratio. 

An encouraging thing with this panel is good lift with the DGZ.  That would help purge any warm layer and make a cleaner, perhaps quicker transition to snow.  It's not like this is some low energy weak clipper moving into a stale airmass.  The cold air has a decent punch to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

Surprised to see how juicy this run was. Has almost .7 for the northern tier.

Very unusual "arctic front". Upper level flow is really backing to our north and the entire front itself it neutral or even negative tilt so it's one of the slowest moving arctic fronts I've ever seen. Also has a southern connection so it's juicy. A lot to like for a "frontal event". 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Ok. We know. Tony Pann and Justin Berk are huge:weenie:  But seriously we’re not!? They just have a broader audience as part of their gigs. I mean if I was on TV, I’d likely be the same. Or worse. :lol: 

Could you imagine @Jion TV though?? The public would be cliff jumping every model run. :lol::lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Very unusual "arctic front". Upper level flow is really backing to our north and the entire front itself it neutral or even negative tilt so it's one of the slowest moving arctic fronts I've ever seen. Also has a southern connection so it's juicy. A lot to like for a "frontal event". 

This one is going to be fun to track right up til game time. A little early to get too excited but I can definitely see the upside. As they say arctic fronts love to squeeze all the moisture out of the atmosphere and with the majority of the precip. behind the front good things can happen. This is not like the Feb. 2015 front where we new the max. potential was 2 inches give or take.

I could see how the coastal could help in the mids and maybe the surface between the 2 features. Cyclonic flow on the backside of the coastal could help enhace the wedge that gets eroded with return flow in front of the approaching low along the front. 

My plan is to blend the wettest model and coldest model unless we get a legit bomb on the nam. Then I'll hug the nam exclusively. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I could see how the coastal could help in the mids and maybe the surface between the 2 features. Cyclonic flow on the backside of the coastal could help enhace the wedge that gets eroded with return flow in front of the approaching low along the front. 
My plan is to blend the wettest model and coldest model unless we get a legit bomb on the nam. Then I'll hug the nam exclusively. 
We will get 6 inches and pann will claim the systems merged but it went a bit more east than he thought sparing us from 24 inches
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

This one is going to be fun to track right up til game time. A little early to get too excited but I can definitely see the upside. As they say arctic fronts love to squeeze all the moisture out of the atmosphere and with the majority of the precip. behind the front good things can happen. This is not like the Feb. 2015 front where we new the max. potential was 2 inches give or take.

Think this passage will be as dynamic as the one in 2015?  That was a pretty intense 20 mins.  Reminded me of some of the events we had in Ohio growing up.  One difference between 2015 and Tuesday appears to be the pace at which it comes through.  If I recall correctly 2015 zoomed through as the front raced across from the midwest eastward across the DELMARVA.  Tuesday's frontal passage seems much slower, but that will also give it a longer dwell time over the area.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic