Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late January-Early February Clipper Train

Hoosier

42 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Has been snowing for 20 minutes in DKB and (well salted) roads are already snow covered. Even though amounts will be in the 1-3” range in the area it could be an awful evening commute. 

Roads went to shit quickly. Even the dusting on them is really making things slick. Drove back from Geneva, and ran into the snow. You would have thought it was the first snow of the season the way people were spinning out 

1 minute ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Roads went to shit quickly. Even the dusting on them is really making things slick. Drove back from Geneva, and ran into the snow. You would have thought it was the first snow of the season the way people were spinning out 

Just talked to a friend about this actually, people expect the salt to be working like it should be, a lot of people don’t get that salt is basically useless when it’s this cold. So they think a little snow = no problem when in reality little snows like this can be the worst for driving 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The February 6, 2007 clipper had mod/hvy snow in similar temps.

1 hour ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

I was only 9 at the time so makes sense I don’t remember that lol

Jeez. I thought I was a young pup in here. I had just turned 18 in 2007. A week after this clipper, the great valentines day blizzard struck, I was a senior in high school and we canceled for 4 days in a row. We obviously didn’t have to make up any of that time. I need to upload pics from my camera of that storm. We lived in rural Champaign at the time, and had winds gusting around 45mph with 12-16” of snow.

• Like 2

Just now, Chambana said:

Jeez. I thought I was a young pup in here. I had just turned 18 in 2007. A week after this clipper, the great valentines day blizzard struck, I was a senior in high school and we canceled for 4 days in a row. We obviously didn’t have to make up any of that time. I need to upload pics from my camera of that storm. We lived in rural Champaign at the time, and had winds gusting around 45mph with 12-16” of snow.

Funny you mention that, I DO vaguely remember the Valentine’s Day storm as a kid. At the time I remember the snow seemed higher than me 

51 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Picked up about an inch.  Had some nice flakes size initially, then it transitioned into more a pixie dust for the majority of the event.

Been a snowy week here! Picked up over 5” since yesterday afternoon and another 3.6” on Tuesday. Monday’s is gonna be the saver! 

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Wow, I was 26 years old. I joined Eastern US WX later that year. Have been part of this community since 2007.

• Like 1

Just now, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Wow, I was 26 years old. I joined Eastern US WX later that year. Have been part of this community since 2007.

Really puts into perspective how some people might simply not remember events that are mentioned here. For example, when I say that this upcoming cold snap reminds me of the winter of 1994, many on this board were toddlers...or not even born when that happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

I was only 9 at the time so makes sense I don’t remember that lol

I was 49 at the time and I don't remember that, not because I was too young, but because I'm too old. They say the memory is the first thing to go. (j/k, I really do remember that). Meanwhile, back to the train, I hope to get an inch out of this to go with the half inch I got behind the front last night.

• Haha 2